Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

Mojo31 07-16-21 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22144281)
I think it's great - I don't need pockets for my keys anymore.

You still have keys?

The only key I need anymore is the one for the bike rack locks. Seems Kuat can't get with the program.

Mojo31 07-16-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22144280)
Oh. SS is building a nice bike system, and there's that massive system in NYS. It's cold, but I've dealt with that before. Would definitely need a full-bore trainer system. Mainly just the addition of a big rocker plate.

You can use that system, what, 3 months of the year?

Velo Vol 07-16-21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22144279)
Yeah, maybe if they took the microchip out of the vaccine and gave free tinfoil hats with each shot, they would have more success.

Man, in the politics forum of another site there sure is a lot of fussing about the vaccine. One poster is even a doctor, allegedly.

Sadly I can't prove that the vaccine won't cause people to grow antlers five years from now.

Bah Humbug 07-16-21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22144270)
I don't have details on that, but by report the vast majority of those hospitalized are un-vaxxed.

That was my understanding as well. As with the Yankees and the Seychelles, the vaccines (even the less-effective ones) are highly effective at preventing hospitalization and death, but you can still be an asymptomatic carrier or get flu-like symptoms. It doesn't mean the vaccine didn't work or help.

Winter is coming.

LAJ 07-16-21 12:01 PM

sigh

WhyFi 07-16-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22144298)
You still have keys?

My vaccine microchip doesn't seem to be communicating with the smart lock on my front door, so I'll have continue sticking my keys to my forehead, at least until I get another shot with a fully functional 5g chip.

Mojo31 07-16-21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22144301)
Man, in the politics forum of another site there sure is a lot of fussing about the vaccine. One poster is even a doctor, allegedly.

Sadly I can't prove that the vaccine won't cause people to grow antlers five years from now.

There is one thing for sure - if you're dead you won't ever grow antlers.

WhyFi 07-16-21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22144302)
Winter is coming.

Man, it's too bad that Season 8 never got made to wrap up the GoT. :(

genejockey 07-16-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22144270)
I don't have details on that, but by report the vast majority of those hospitalized are un-vaxxed.

In LA County, it's apparently ALL hospitalized patients are unvaccinated.
https://abc7.com/unvaccinated-covid1...ions/10887037/

Mojo31 07-16-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22144356)
My vaccine microchip doesn't seem to be communicating with the smart lock on my front door, so I'll have continue sticking my keys to my forehead, at least until I get another shot with a fully functional 5g chip.

Hope you don't get a defective one and start growing antlers.

genejockey 07-16-21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22144266)
A lot of west coasters moving there thinking it's "cheap."

When your 1600 sq ft postwar ranch house on 1/3 of an acre is worth >1.5 million, everything else seems cheap.

phrantic09 07-16-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22144280)
Oh. SS is building a nice bike system, and there's that massive system in NYS. It's cold, but I've dealt with that before. Would definitely need a full-bore trainer system. Mainly just the addition of a big rocker plate.

We do have a pretty nice bike trail system. I hit part of it occasionally and it's pretty quiet.

phrantic09 07-16-21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22144368)
When your 1600 sq ft postwar ranch house on 1/3 of an acre is worth >1.5 million, everything else seems cheap.

We were considering Austin once the kids move to college, but after looking at the real estate prices decided maybe to check out other cities. We still have the house in Marblehead that we'll unload when we move for a good penny, but I'm not really interested in paying a million bucks for a house in the city that's 900SF.

datlas 07-16-21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22144428)
We were considering Austin once the kids move to college, but after looking at the real estate prices decided maybe to check out other cities. We still have the house in Marblehead that we'll unload when we move for a good penny, but I'm not really interested in paying a million bucks for a house in the city that's 900SF.

Tiny House FTW

phrantic09 07-16-21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22144014)
That is not the correct answer.

Then I would only be down to one bike, which is absurd, and when I got another bike I would only be at 2 bikes.

Creaky BB is a problem with the BB not the bike right? Really sad if my china wheels lived longer than my cervelo frame, just saying.

Creaky BB is probably just grease needed

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22144065)
In light of the winter storm aftermath, and other things that can’t be discussed here, currently seems more likely than not that we’ll be leaving the nation of Texas next year. Raleigh and Saratoga Springs are the current front-runners.

SS is great, as you know.

WhyFi 07-16-21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22143860)
Set a new 5 s power number this morning, sprinting from a traffic signal. It’s pitifully puny, but it’s nice to know some things can still improve in the senium.

Kudos!

On the opposite end, I set a new 20 min mark for myself this morning. Sadly, it's below my FTP estimate; it'd be nice be closer to more open roads and have fewer interruptions to efforts.

Trsnrtr 07-16-21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22144077)
I still don’t really understand the Strava privacy hand-wringing. Voting and real estate records make your name and address public already.

Same with people smudging out license plates in photos. I never understood the privacy worry when we drive around with our plates in plain sight. :foo:

datlas 07-16-21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22144368)

A cycling buddy of mine lives in Menlo Park. I looked at Zillow and the price you state is about right. That's nuts.

phrantic09 07-16-21 01:10 PM

I signed up for this the other day, looks like it's going to be a good time:

https://www.peachamfallfondo.com/

also have a 66 miler with 6K on 8/15, it's something like 90% gravel. Better replace those gravel kings soon

WhyFi 07-16-21 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22144444)
I signed up for this the other day, looks like it's going to be a good time:

https://www.peachamfallfondo.com/

also have a 66 miler with 6K on 8/15, it's something like 90% gravel. Better replace those gravel kings soon

Hilly gravel hurts me, if I were to do something like that, I'd probably replace my 50/34 with a 46/30, but it does look fun.

Trsnrtr 07-16-21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22144277)
That's what I understood.

Might need some cataclysmic event to get the anti-vaxxers off their stupid platform. I know plenty, and their reasons just don't make sense.

Of course, nobody likes to be magnetized.

I saw a meme today that went something like, “You’ve been eating processed food all your life but you won’t get the vaccine because you don’t know what’s in it?”

sshakari 07-16-21 01:33 PM

there is a huge chip shortage at the moment. You may have to wait for a while.

MoAlpha 07-16-21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22144436)
Kudos!

On the opposite end, I set a new 20 min mark for myself this morning. Sadly, it's below my FTP estimate; it'd be nice be closer to more open roads and have fewer interruptions to efforts.

It's very hard to put down a 20 min max effort in the real world.

Interestingly, my eFTP is stuck where it was in early Spring and significantly lower than last year, but I'm also faster than last year, i.e. probably more efficient in some way.

WhyFi 07-16-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22144510)
It's very hard to put down a 20 min max effort in the real world.

Interestingly, my eFTP is stuck where it was in early Spring and significantly lower than last year, but I'm also faster than last year, i.e. probably more efficient in some way.

What's your mix of solo/group looking like compared to last year? Maybe you're better at surfin' wheels? Or maybe you're just more aero?

I'm finally starting to feel like I'm approaching the shape that I was in last year. Like you, my eFTP is about where it was in the Spring, but I've been feeling much better during hard efforts and it may just be that I haven't had the opportunity to really uncork it for an uninterrupted 3+ minutes.

indyfabz 07-16-21 02:10 PM

Mostly packed. Mostly.

MoAlpha 07-16-21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22144523)
What's your mix of solo/group looking like compared to last year? Maybe you're better at surfin' wheels? Or maybe you're just more aero?

I'm finally starting to feel like I'm approaching the shape that I was in last year. Like you, my eFTP is about where it was in the Spring, but I've been feeling much better during hard efforts and it may just be that I haven't had the opportunity to really uncork it for an uninterrupted 3+ minutes.

Hard to rule out and I am hanging longer on the fast rides, but I think my solo work (ahem) has also improved and I'm also feeling subjectively stronger. I don't know what it is about those 3 min max efforts, though. I just don't seem to be doing them. All of the > 3 min hills nearby have flat spots where I find it nearly impossible to maintain power.

WhyFi 07-16-21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22144541)
All of the > 3 min hills nearby have flat spots where I find it nearly impossible to maintain power.

Yup, this is my problem, too - it's just impossible to stay on top of the pedals when there's a flat or dip. Unfortunately, the only surefire steady hills in the area mean an 80+ mile round trip ride, which presents other problems w/r/t an all-out effort.

phrantic09 07-16-21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22144456)
Hilly gravel hurts me, if I were to do something like that, I'd probably replace my 50/34 with a 46/30, but it does look fun.

Revolt has a 48/32, which is fine for this. I'm still trying to get my fit dialed in on it, I can't seem to maintain similar power #s as the R3 and it makes no sense to me.

genejockey 07-16-21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22144440)
A cycling buddy of mine lives in Menlo Park. I looked at Zillow and the price you state is about right. That's nuts.

This is why I always roll my eyes when people try to tell me that everyone's leaving California.

WhyFi 07-16-21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22144557)
Revolt has a 48/32, which is fine for this. I'm still trying to get my fit dialed in on it, I can't seem to maintain similar power #s as the R3 and it makes no sense to me.

You have a PM on the Giant, too? How far off are we talkin'?