Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469048)
Why go to Reno if you have Roane County just a short drive away?

I'm not sure VV has ever been out of Knox County!

He claims to have done road trips, listening to this song over and over again.

Mojo31 04-11-22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469063)
He claims to have done road trips, listening to this song over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WXcexId5s8

A drive to Roane County could be considered a road trip.

genejockey 04-11-22 02:35 PM

I thought he was from Canada?

But, back where I grew up, there are a lot of people who've never left Adams County, or if they did, certainly no farther than York County. But they will tell you all about what it's like to live in California, or New York City, or any of a number of other places they've never been.

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 02:42 PM

Pretty breezy here right now, but I kinda like it like that.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5527ecbfd4.jpg

genejockey 04-11-22 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469057)
You've mentioned his love of trains as a yute, but I don't remember the part about you guys riding a Challenger excursion. That's weird he doesn't recall it, but there's a lot I don't remember from age 5 either. First steam I really remember well was at Yosemite, I must've been 9 or so.

His interest in trains also vanished abruptly. There was no triggering factor that we could discern, but it was like a switch was thrown and he totally lost interest in them. The next obsession was pirates. So, for his 6th birthday we'd had the party down at "Roaring Camp", near Santa Cruz, which has a Shay locomotive they take out along a track through the Redwoods. For his 7th birthday, we sailed around the Bay on the Hawaiian Chieftain.

He really had a great childhood. You'd think he'd be more grateful!

Velo Vol 04-11-22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469032)
I imagine you'll default to never going anywhere near Reno, so it probably doesn't matter to you :)

I might go stay in the hotel just to spite you.

The trailer hitch broke little more than a mile from Roane County yesterday. Didn't go there, but I did go to Loudon County. #RoadTrip

genejockey 04-11-22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469080)
Pretty breezy here right now, but I kinda like it like that.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5527ecbfd4.jpg

All our trees look like that all the time.

LAJ 04-11-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22469103)
I might go stay in the hotel just to spite you.

The trailer hitch broke little more than a mile from Roane County yesterday. Didn't go there, but I did go to Loudon County. #RoadTrip

The trailer hitch didn't break (brake).

seedsbelize2 04-11-22 03:12 PM

My Park Tool needle nose pliers arrived today. I might wrap the handles to match rjones28 bars. I also put the Claud Butler in the stand this morning. I was waiting for the pliers, for some reason.

BillyD 04-11-22 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22468725)
How hot is that? you think average June-August Phoenix temps would do? :)

Yes.

big john 04-11-22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469029)
$150 per night for a decent place to stay is not expensive these days. That's two tanks of gas.

You don't get what you don't pay for.

I went to the Great Western Bicycle Rally a few times. It's a 3 day event with multiple rides, a bike show, guest speakers, etc. in Paso Robles on Memorial Day weekend. Also that weekend is a huge car show event so the motels fill up. Nothing like riding bikes all day and passing out in your room to be awakened by drunk car show revelers @ midnight and after. The only way to do that event is to camp at the fairgrounds. Once I had the camper that's what I did.

My ex and I reserved a non smoking room for some event, a century ride. When we checked in they said only smoking rooms were open so that's what we got. It was disgusting. After that we decided to get another camper since I had sold the other one.

Staying in a campground in an RV is so much better than a motel.

big john 04-11-22 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22469127)
My Park Tool needle nose pliers arrived today. I might wrap the handles to match rjones28 bars. I also put the Claud Butler in the stand this morning. I was waiting for the pliers, for some reason.

I had 2 pair of Snap On needle nose pliers for more than 20 years and I lost both of them in about a week. I started using Harbor Freight pliers after that.

LesterOfPuppets 04-11-22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22469190)
I went to the Great Western Bicycle Rally a few times. It's a 3 day event with multiple rides, a bike show, guest speakers, etc. in Paso Robles on Memorial Day weekend. Also that weekend is a huge car show event so the motels fill up. Nothing like riding bikes all day and passing out in your room to be awakened by drunk car show revelers @ midnight and after. The only way to do that event is to camp at the fairgrounds. Once I had the camper that's what I did.

My ex and I reserved a non smoking room for some event, a century ride. When we checked in they said only smoking rooms were open so that's what we got. It was disgusting. After that we decided to get another camper since I had sold the other one.

I've wound up in a couple of "party" campgrounds before.

​​​​​​The worst is getting a spot near someone who runs their Genny til 1am +.

Jack Tone 04-11-22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22469190)

I think i've done that at least 5 times. Always stayed at a motel around the corner which was great. Lots of riders staying there, too. I LOVE riding in that area. Too bad it was cancelled last year because of Covid, and again this year because the promoters moved to New York.

big john 04-11-22 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22469196)
I think i've done that at least 5 times. Always stayed at a motel around the corner which was great. Lots of riders staying there, too. I LOVE riding in that area. Too bad it was cancelled last year because of Covid, and again this year because the promoters moved to New York.

Someone told me they moved the car show to a different weekend but I'm not sure. The car people were cool at the show and I enjoyed riding over and checking out the daily drivers people had built but the motel situation was the pits when I went.

Some of the roads around there are just great for bikes.

DougRNS 04-11-22 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22468805)
Noticed something today. Zero wind condition, flat ground I was putting out 140 watts at 96 rpm and was holding 18 mph.

Seems crazy that when I go harder and my power increases by 100 watts I only go 3 mph faster.

Just an observation, today I was really trying to keep the zone power at 2. Made hills take forever.

Exponential wind resistance. You are a pilot and know this or should.

big john 04-11-22 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22469193)
I've wound up in a couple of "party" campgrounds before.

​​​​​​The worst is getting a spot near someone who runs their Genny til 1am +.

I've been lucky with campgrounds that way. We camped at Jalama beach for Y2K New Years Eve and it was a party but not a problem.

My favorite was Fallen Leaf Lake campgrounds near Tahoe. Awesome riding and swimming in the cold water after, then cooking out and having a campfire. Good times.

Bah Humbug 04-11-22 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22468538)
This is a question for those who use hotels sometimes.

Mrs datlas and I are traveling to Asheville in a few weeks. Although we could do the full 9 hour drive at once, we are thinking of breaking it into two. So I got online and looked for budget hotels in Virginia.

The usual "Chain" budget hotels all look reasonable on their websites, but the online reviews are typically not good stating the places are disgusting and dirty and awful etc., do we think these are just angry Karens or is any hotel under $100/night a squalid rat's nest?? We have not stayed in a Hotel like that for several years so have no frame of reference.

I read this earlier in the day but was too busy to respond. The best thing is to find the newest hotel you can - that matters more than brand. The two hotels in Amarillo I described a week ago match that. The Fairfield was old; the Springhill or whatever was newer. I've been in a Best Western in FoCo, actually, which was HORRIBLE - damp sheets and everything, morning before a race. Other Best Westerns are great.

As for reviews, those mean very little - see if you can figure out when the places were built. Remodeling helps but only a little. A new La Quinta is a million times better than an old Fairfield.

Bah Humbug 04-11-22 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22469022)
Y'all are really making the idea of a road trip seem either expensive or disgusting.

I mean, there's a reason I like to one-day the 970 miles between Austin and Boulder.

Well, "like" is a strong word for the feeling.

ls01 04-11-22 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22469218)
Exponential wind resistance. You are a pilot and know this or should.

Pshhh! The flight computer know all that gobbledygook. He just has to sit there and look dashingly confident in his Ray-Bans. And sound cool on the radio....

Trsnrtr 04-11-22 04:40 PM

For those keeping score, I got let out of jury duty at 12:30. :bday:

ls01 04-11-22 04:41 PM

Upgrade complete. And successful. Chinese cassette and chain work very well and silently. Sunshine cassette and SwishTi k11s chain. $57.00 for both. Windy out there tonight. Made the ride home kind of tough at times. But I htfu, and persevered.

WhyFi 04-11-22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22469228)
I mean, there's a reason I like to one-day the 970 miles between Austin and Boulder.

Ouch. I've done the ~1300 miles to VA with a ~4 hour nap in KY, but that wasn't exactly fun.

ls01 04-11-22 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22469241)
For those keeping score, I got let out of jury duty at 12:30. :bday:

congrats.

phrantic09 04-11-22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22469228)

We do a similar distance to my mom’s in SC in one shot, usually leave at 2AM and get there around 5pm