Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

phrantic09 04-13-22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22471363)
You can still use my cervelo. I won’t be in town though.

Thanks dude- I’m going to enjoy the family time

phrantic09 04-13-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22471353)
That’s the Boulder effect - 40°, sunny, and dry is nice. The same temp in Albany but damp and leaden-skied is horrible.

40 in Albany is shorts, arm warmer and gilet weather man!!

Velo Vol 04-13-22 02:10 PM

MOTD

13 April 2022

bampilot06 04-13-22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471366)
Thanks dude- I’m going to enjoy the family time

Sounds good. When you go to Busch. As far as food goes. If you want to eat in doors because it’s too hot or what not you choice is the Fest house, in germany. Menu includes chicken, sausage platters, roast beef sandwich salads, for kids chicken nuggets, pizza. The fest house also has live music at certain times which is pretty cool. The rest of the countries the eating is out doors. France has the smoke house which is pretty good. Italy has a market style restaurant. You can get italian food, asian food and greek food in there. England has burgers chicken tenders and such.

phrantic09 04-13-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22471386)
Sounds good. When you go to Busch. As far as food goes. If you want to eat in doors because it’s too hot or what not you choice is the Fest house, in germany. Menu includes chicken, sausage platters, roast beef sandwich salads, for kids chicken nuggets, pizza. The fest house also has live music at certain times which is pretty cool. The rest of the countries the eating is out doors. France has the smoke house which is pretty good. Italy has a market style restaurant. You can get italian food, asian food and greek food in there. England has burgers chicken tenders and such.

thanks- what about good places in the greater Willyburg area? We’re coming in Sunday evening.

bampilot06 04-13-22 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471388)
thanks- what about good places in the greater Willyburg area? We’re coming in Sunday evening.

Sals by victor is a pizzeria with good food. It is a pretty big restaurant and is kid friendly. My FIL makes the pasta for Sals, and my MIL makes the deserts.

Fat tuna is a seafood restaurant that we enjoy.

All of the restaurants in Merchant square are very good. Dog street pub, berrets, mellow mushroom, the wine and cheese shop, fat canary, blue talon.

Best burger, Craft 31.

Ice cream, our favorite is Meadows. Right next to Sals. Second favorite is Kiwanis which is in colonial williamsburg.

if you are able to go out with just the wife Le Yaca is a french restaurant that is very very good.

Edit:

Breakfast: plenty of pancake houses, all of them are good. First watch is in New town which everyone swears by. On Richmond Road there is a restaurant called Aother Broken egg which is also good.

Bah Humbug 04-13-22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471369)
40 in Albany is shorts, arm warmer and gilet weather man!!

Not even close.

WhyFi 04-13-22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471388)

bam gets a kickback if you go to either Sal's by Victor or Fat Tuna. :p (I can't get the kids to a seafood place, but Sal's was good).

Unfortunately, the in-laws are really chain-lovers, so we haven't been out to the smaller/independent places as much we should, but I'd pretty much agree with what bam's mentioned. I've also liked all of the Mexican joints that I've been to there, and I always sneak away to the little hole-in-the-wall places by myself at least once or twice per trip.

datlas 04-13-22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22471239)
Last night I did a workout on Wahoo's Systm, which I signed up for just to try a longer plan. It was provocatively titled "A Very Dark Place", and consisted of 5 blocks of 4 minutes, between 100 and 115% of FTP, with two of the segments also including 10 second sprints. It was hard, but not as bad as all that.

Then, when I went to bed about 5 hours later, as I lay there I felt an odd kind of 'flutter' in my chest. I checked my pulse at the wrist, and it was... irregular. Not too fast or to slow. More like syncopated, averaging around 50-60 bpm, but at irregular intervals, like beat - pause - beat beat - beat - beat - beat beat - beat - beat - pause - beat, beat. Like that. No other symptoms, but of course my anxiety shot up. I couldn't get back to sleep for 3 hours, during which every time I checked, my pulse was steady. I spent a while looking it up online, remembering that I had been diagnosed a few years back with a murmur involving my mitral valve, and that can apparently cause mild occasional arrythmia.

Contacted my PCP this morning, who basically said, Don't Panic, come by for an EKG sometime this week. Maybe don't ride today, and go at reduced effort tomorrow. So, now I'm feeling betrayed by my body, and wondering what it all means.

Probably just throwing some PVCs (common and harmless) but by all means get it checked.

datlas 04-13-22 04:06 PM

Another reason I was wiped from todays ride is that at least for the first part of the ride I had extra resistance. It felt like the rear brakes were on lightly, especially under load. Crap! I loosened the brake QR but problem persisted. A quick look revealed the rear tire was lightly rubbing the left rear chainstay. I repositioned and tightened rear QR more tightly and I believe problem fixed.

This has happened on the Roubaix at times. Is it typical for when rear QR not tight enough??? I am positive the wheel was centered properly at ride start. Vertical dropouts on both bikes, if that matters. Thoughts??

gnome 04-13-22 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22471485)
Another reason I was wiped from todays ride is that at least for the first part of the ride I had extra resistance. It felt like the rear brakes were on lightly, especially under load. Crap! I loosened the brake QR but problem persisted. A quick look revealed the rear tire was lightly rubbing the left rear chainstay. I repositioned and tightened rear QR more tightly and I believe problem fixed.

This has happened on the Roubaix at times. Is it typical for when rear QR not tight enough??? I am positive the wheel was centered properly at ride start. Vertical dropouts on both bikes, if that matters. Thoughts??

yes.

big john 04-13-22 04:31 PM

I haven't had it happen with vertical dropouts but it used to happen to me with horizontal dropout bikes, especially with chromed dropouts. I found certain QR nuts are more likely to slip or when the surface of the nut gets worn smooth.

WhyFi 04-13-22 04:32 PM

The guads are too mighty.

I seem to recall that some QRs are more strongerer then others, with the internal cam (?) being the bestest. Maybe pick up a new set of Shimano skewers?

Bah Humbug 04-13-22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22471508)
The guads are too mighty.

I seem to recall that some QRs are more strongerer then others, with the internal cam (?) being the bestest. Maybe pick up a new set of Shimano skewers?

This, hence the heavy-duty trainer skewers. Which are also all internal cam. Yes get some Shimanos.

big john 04-13-22 04:41 PM

I rode the borrowed bike today for about 3 hours and have decided to give it back to the guy. I might be able to make it work but it will take too much to be worth the trouble. I found new bikes on line for around what it would cost to get this thing the way I want it. Another thing is my heels hit the chainstays. I've always had this problem but on this bike it's really annoying.

MoAlpha 04-13-22 04:45 PM

The crummy rear QR which came with my Ksyriums always slipped, no matter how hard I groinked it. Never experienced that with the many old Campag and Japanese sets I had.

datlas 04-13-22 05:20 PM

Thanks guys I believe the QR is the problem. Will look into getting some better ones.

Velo Vol 04-13-22 05:26 PM

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

rjones28 04-13-22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22471170)
Endless options. Wind levels in East Tennessee or why it rains on Tuesdays in East Tennessee.
Bikes and accessories are valid options.

Sunny and 66F with a 12 mph wind out of the south for my midday commute to the bike shop. T-shirt weather.

rjones28 04-13-22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22471248)
A radio tuner to two decimal points. Fancy.

Chittenango has two dailies?

Chittenango does not have a newspaper, AFAIK.

genejockey 04-13-22 05:36 PM

I've had it happen with the Battaglin with its chrome plated horizontal dropouts, and the chrome plated Campy skewers. It turned out that a lot of the dodgy shifting issues I had with that bike were due to the wheel moving in the dropouts. I now tighten the everloving crap out of them, so you can practically read "Campagnolo" on my palm after I close them.

Some of my bikes with vertical dropouts, the wheel can move maybe 2-3mm, so I carefully center them and, like with the Battaglin, tighten the crap outta the QR.

rjones28 04-13-22 05:42 PM

Sounds like QR wasn't tight enough.

Velo Vol 04-13-22 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22471573)
Chittenango does not have a newspaper, AFAIK.

Cazenovia Times?

genejockey 04-13-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22471479)
Probably just throwing some PVCs (common and harmless) but by all means get it checked.

I was thinking that after reading two threads on cycling and hearts. Someone described the experience of having a PVC and it sounded like what was happening with me.

I'm feeling sufficiently good that I'm jonesing for the ride I'm not going to do tonight. So instead I worked on bikes in the garage. It's not an adequate substitute.

DougRNS 04-13-22 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22471563)

I'll give it a thumbs up but it's a little derivative of John Williams' Star Wars theme. Oh, and it needs more cow bell.