Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

migman 05-08-08 07:29 AM

Great thread! I am looking forward to applying the techniques discussed here. I just ordered a set of NOS Campy Victory Stradas to mate to my Chorus hubs. These will be mounted on a '86ish Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra. I am thinking of going with Veloflex Criterium tires. Anyone have opinions on them good, bad, or otherwise? Thanks.

piwonka 05-08-08 08:36 AM

everything i've heard about them indicates they are awesome.

GeraldChan 05-08-08 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by migman (Post 6657732)
Great thread! I am looking forward to applying the techniques discussed here. I just ordered a set of NOS Campy Victory Stradas to mate to my Chorus hubs. These will be mounted on a '86ish Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra. I am thinking of going with Veloflex Criterium tires. Anyone have opinions on them good, bad, or otherwise? Thanks.

I've been using a set for a year on my Waterford and love them! They are worth every penny. got mine from critusa@aol.com Danny has them at a good price and free shipping.

gridplan 11-14-08 02:24 PM

I have a pair of silk tubulars that are for display only, not riding. The silk casing in one spot is not in very good condition. Two questions: 1) Is it possible to repair that area, and, if so, with what? 2) Is there a way to remove the old, darkened latex from the sidewalls without damaging the casing?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...c/IMG_2033.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...c/IMG_2034.jpg

lotek 11-14-08 02:44 PM

I Think liquid latex will clear up any problems with the 2nd tire show.
Jevelot Tire Life is the product I've always used.
http://www.worldclasscycles.com/jeve...re_life_rs.jpg
as for cleaning them up? I'd not mess with anything that could remove
the old latex to clean it up.

Marty

gridplan 11-14-08 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by lotek (Post 7852041)
I Think liquid latex will clear up any problems with the 2nd tire show.
Jevelot Tire Life is the product I've always used.

as for cleaning them up? I'd not mess with anything that could remove
the old latex to clean it up.

Marty

Excellent! Thanks very much, Marty.

Road Fan 11-14-08 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by gridplan (Post 7852466)
Excellent! Thanks very much, Marty.

I agree with the Jevelot Tire Life. I would especially not touch the sidewalls with anything that could catch on a thread or otherwise abrade and weaken a thread. I made this mistake with a collectible and otherwise usable original Italian Vittoria CG Servizio Corse, and the tube herniated through the weakened portion of the sidewall while riding. Didn't fall, but I lost a good tire due to carelessness.

Bottom line is, don't clean off the old stuff, cover it up with latex, in my opinion.

Road Fan

gridplan 11-15-08 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 7852597)
</snip>

Bottom line is, don't clean off the old stuff, cover it up with latex, in my opinion.

Road Fan

Thanks, Road Fan. That's kind of what I figured. I had hoped there was a product (mineral spirits?) to remove that ugly latex without harming the silk. Unlike you, I won't be riding these (display only). Anyway, I will buy some Tire Life so I can repair the spot shown in the first photo.

dudeona3V 11-18-08 05:55 PM

Any remedy for a lump? Developed in the last 15 miles of a 45-miler today.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fwpE_eHSWYM/SS...8%28008%29.jpg

Old Fat Guy 11-18-08 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by dudeona3V (Post 7875614)

None that I have ever heard of. The casing is shot.

urodacus 11-18-08 09:51 PM

yup: take it off and throw it away, and put a new one on. quick, before it pops on you.

dudeona3V 11-18-08 11:44 PM

That's what I figured. Any recommendations on something befitting a '74 Masi Gran Crit? Veloflex or Challenge Criteriums maybe?

gridplan 11-19-08 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by dudeona3V (Post 7877824)
That's what I figured. Any recommendations on something befitting a '74 Masi Gran Crit? Veloflex or Challenge Criteriums maybe?

Both are good choices. How about Andre Dugast?

dudeona3V 11-20-08 03:01 PM

No doubt. I'll have to ask Santa if I've been that nice this year.

Geordi Laforge 01-10-09 06:13 AM

how puncture-resistant are the veloflex offerings?

or, can anyone recommend a quality durable/puncture-resistant tubular tire with a tan sidewall?

also, I read that one should leave two inches or so of an unglued area on the rim so that removal of the tire can be done with ease. is this recommended or a common practice? I read this here: http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/20...re-to-rim.html

thanks

Road Fan 01-10-09 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by dudeona3V (Post 7877824)

Clemente Criterium Seta, as long as we're talking big bucks.

Road Fan 01-10-09 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge (Post 8156063)
how puncture-resistant are the veloflex offerings?

or, can anyone recommend a quality durable/puncture-resistant tubular tire with a tan sidewall?

also, I read that one should leave two inches or so of an unglued area on the rim so that removal of the tire can be done with ease. is this recommended or a common practice? I read this here: http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/20...re-to-rim.html

thanks

I havent' tried this method yet, but I plan to next time I install road tires. I can't see any reason why just leaving a few inches free would make any difference to tire retention. I would definitely consider it safe.

Road Fan

mudboy 01-10-09 08:38 AM

Having rolled what I thought was a well-glued tubular before, I would personally not use that method. Glue the whole thing.

Out of curiosity, what glues are you guys using? I've only been able to fine Continental glue, which is pretty good, so no complaints. I used to use Clement white BITD, and Clement Red for the track, but of course Clement is no more (except for the very small stock of Campionato del Mundo's in my basement).

Also, how are Dugast tires? I'm mainly interested in the Paris Roubaix 27mm cotton's for my "Sunday wheels", for the day when my CdM's have ridden their last ride.

Thanks

Pete

ultraman6970 01-10-09 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by dudeona3V (Post 7875614)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fwpE_eHSWYM/SS...8%28008%29.jpg

What is wrong with it? the hump or the discoloration? I don't know that well the meaning of the word lump and the dictionary is quite vague.

If the problem it is the hump, it is super clear to me that the tubular it is not in the right position. Look at the valve. Take the tubular off the rim and re glue it. Done.

I see that apparently you got a flat right there nearby the valve stem. If that is part of your problem, just unsew it (the sew up got saw), and sew up that part of the tubular really well (15 minutes as much).

If the problem it is the discoloration and dryness in the lateral walls of the tubular, thats because the tubular is simply old. I have used even older tubulars, you shouldnt have a problem unless the road band is pretty old too.

Thanks.

ultraman6970 01-10-09 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 6132689)
Enjoy my photo sequence.

LINK

Forward to all your friends.

http://lh4.google.com/DiabloScottsBi...ding%20003.jpg

It can be done even smaller hehehe... old timer in here.

dudeona3V 01-10-09 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 8156844)
It can be done even smaller hehehe... old timer in here.

Are you sharing?

Road Fan 01-10-09 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cuda2k (Post 6627470)
Bump, finally getting around to gluing my first set of tubulars, this weekend! I have an old set of GP4 rims, well loved and used, the rear I just pulled the old tubular off of as I didn't trust it's condition, and I have a new set of Vittorias here.

Now for the question: how dry is too dry to let old glue remain in the rim without stripping it down? The rear wheel hasn't had a tire on it in a while, but the glue is still tacky to the touch. Enough to make the carpet or a towel stick to it if left for any length of time. Front wheel is much the same, had to use a reasonable amount of force to pull the old tire off. Should just a light coat of new glue on the rim be sufficient?

Cuda, if you kept the wrapper for your Vittoria tires, there's a really good gluing procedure printed on it. Try it, it works.

I don't get too excited about old glue layers, as long as there aren't major lumps.

Geordi Laforge 01-11-09 12:39 AM

anyone use Stan's in their tubulars as a preventative measure? If so, does it affect the ride quality and do you find it effective in reducing flats?

motochick 01-11-09 10:44 AM

I used Stan's in both my front and rear tubies after I got flats from goat heads. It works very well and I am working on a way to carry it with me for the tires that haven't gone flat yet. Don't know about using it in latex tubes, though.

Brenda

ga_mueller 01-11-09 07:56 PM

I've been riding my Miyata Team, which has tubulars, for the last couple of days (temps in the 70's in the Bay Area) and am really enjoying it. I've put on maybe a hundred miles. The only thing I'm carrying, should I get flats, are two cans of Vittoria Pit Stop.... am I asking for trouble? (and of course a credit card to pay for the ride home!) I'm a tubular "noob"... .

sykerocker 01-11-09 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ga_mueller (Post 8164125)
I've been riding my Miyata Team, which has tubulars, for the last couple of days (temps in the 70's in the Bay Area) and am really enjoying it. I've put on maybe a hundred miles. The only thing I'm carrying, should I get flats, are two cans of Vittoria Pit Stop.... am I asking for trouble? (and of course a credit card to pay for the ride home!) I'm a tubular "noob"... .

Having ridden tubs since the early 70's, here's how I'm equipped when I'm out: One spare tyre strapped under the saddle. In my back jacket/jersey pocket (in a plastic bag) is: Pressure gauge, CO2 inflator, three bottles, one tube of rim cement (no particular loyalties, currently I'm using Hutchinson, as that's what my nearby favorite lbs carries).

Being a firm believe in Murphy's Law, and gaming it against itself, my religiousness on carrying this kit has kept me to one puncture a year - and that's usually on a tyre that's so worn that I just toss it out rather than repair it.

By the way, when I'm on a bike with clinchers, the tubular is replaced with a wedge pack containing one tube and three tyre irons. Still prefer the tubulars in that situation, because I can be off and back on the road in about five minutes.

ga_mueller 01-11-09 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by sykerocker (Post 8164322)
Having ridden tubs since the early 70's, here's how I'm equipped when I'm out: One spare tyre strapped under the saddle. In my back jacket/jersey pocket (in a plastic bag) is: Pressure gauge, CO2 inflator, three bottles, one tube of rim cement (no particular loyalties, currently I'm using Hutchinson, as that's what my nearby favorite lbs carries).

So it sounds like I'm good to go... :roflmao2:

sekaijin 01-11-09 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge (Post 8160311)
anyone use Stan's in their tubulars as a preventative measure? If so, does it affect the ride quality and do you find it effective in reducing flats?

Originally Posted by motochick (Post 8161531)
I used Stan's in both my front and rear tubies after I got flats from goat heads. It works very well and I am working on a way to carry it with me for the tires that haven't gone flat yet. Don't know about using it in latex tubes, though.

What is Stan's, is that like Tufo sealant? I use that and it has helped reduce flats.

Lazyass 01-12-09 07:26 AM

I apologize in advance if this has been asked (too many pages), but I want to try Tufo tape for the first time. Do I need to have the old regular glue completely removed from the rims first, or can it be left on?

Geordi Laforge 01-12-09 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by sykerocker (Post 8164322)

Being a firm believe in Murphy's Law, and gaming it against itself, my religiousness on carrying this kit has kept me to one puncture a year - and that's usually on a tyre that's so worn that I just toss it out rather than repair it.

By the way, when I'm on a bike with clinchers, the tubular is replaced with a wedge pack containing one tube and three tyre irons. Still prefer the tubulars in that situation, because I can be off and back on the road in about five minutes.

what tires do you use/prefer?