Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   wind and safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1210665)

dirtydozen 08-18-20 04:05 PM

wind and safety

Hey, i'm planing to do a 200km ride to go on holidays on friday.
I checked the windfinder website and local weather, both work very well in my area and there will be a very strong back wind, 17mph with 38mph spikes.
Im not really confortable to ride with lateral wind & cars overtaking, is there any concern to have regarding a stron back wind ?

thanks

GlennR 08-18-20 04:16 PM

I have no problem with head wind and trail wind. Its the cross winds that can cause you to have the "grip of death" on the bars. My worst experience was coming down a 2 mile long mild decent when the residential house stopped and I passed a golf course. I was going about 25mph when a strong gust of wind from my left pushed me off the paved road and onto the dirt shoulder.... about 2 feet to the right.

I've also been blowen around by tractor trailers passing on narrow roads.

Odd that you're distance is in km and wind speed in mph.

genejockey 08-18-20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydozen (Post 21648139)
Hey, i'm planing to do a 200km ride to go on holidays on friday.
I checked the windfinder website and local weather, both work very well in my area and there will be a very strong back wind, 17mph with 38mph spikes.
Im not really confortable to ride with lateral wind & cars overtaking, is there any concern to have regarding a stron back wind ?

thanks

1) Any turn puts you in a strong crosswind proportional o the angle of the turn. I find that even quartering winds can be a problem, if your bike is sensitive to crosswinds.
2) Are you planning to take the bus home?

WhyFi 08-18-20 04:25 PM

A one-way 200k with a tail wind? Where do I sign up?

genejockey 08-18-20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21648180)

I guess I could wear the jerseys I gave up because they flap too much. They'd work like sails.

One thing about riding with the wind - you go fast, but you get no cooling. I've found riding with the wind on hot sunny days is very warming.

noodle soup 08-18-20 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21648160)
I have no problem with head wind and trail wind. Its the cross winds that can cause you to have the "grip of death" on the bars. My worst experience was coming down a 2 mile long mild decent when the residential house stopped and I passed a golf course. I was going about 25mph when a strong gust of wind from my left pushed me off the paved road and onto the dirt shoulder.... about 2 feet to the right.

Crosswinds and descents can be sketchy. I was blown off the road at 48mph and broke c1, c2, and c3 vertebrae.

Every time I descend at 40+mph, it's in the back of my mind

GlennR 08-18-20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21648187)
Crosswinds and descents can be sketchy. I was blown off the road at 48mph and broke c1, c2, and c3 vertebrae.

Every time I descend at 40+mph, it's in the back of my mind

How can it not... glad you recovered.

noodle soup 08-18-20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21648197)
How can it not... glad you recovered.

Luckily I don't remember any of the crash. All I remember is being found by some motorists, and trying to get back on my bike.

They talked me out of that.

Iride01 08-18-20 05:13 PM

You need to decide about your comfort level in wind. It won't always be coming from where you think it is. Particularly when you go from tree lined road to openings for fields or even other roads and power lines.

If you are skittish now, then you need to decide if you need experience with those conditions on a shorter ride.

mattcalifornia 08-18-20 05:41 PM

What kind of wheels are you riding? I'm guessing you might want to leave the deep dishes at home if possible.

dirtydozen 08-19-20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21648180)

yes right? On paper seems really fun, but I'm scared it's the kind of fun that will end up in an hospital

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21648169)
1) Any turn puts you in a strong crosswind proportional o the angle of the turn. I find that even quartering winds can be a problem, if your bike is sensitive to crosswinds.
2) Are you planning to take the bus home?

Im going on holidays, i'll stay there 4/5 days and then figure out how to come back, either by car with my dad or by bike in 1 or 2 days

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia (Post 21648283)
What kind of wheels are you riding? I'm guessing you might want to leave the deep dishes at home if possible.

I have stock wheels that are not aero, but i'll have a big saddle bag to bring stuff with me and that's gonna provide a good surface for the crosswind to annoy me. I'm also quite tall, T58 bike and quite skinny

flangehead 08-19-20 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21648160)
...I've also been blown around by tractor trailers passing on narrow roads....

Not directly relevant to OP, but it is good to anticipate how a big vehicle will affect you if passing fast and close.

There is a very strong push away from the motor vehicle when the front of the vehicle passes, then a pull toward the vehicle about 5 feet behind the nose, then a strong pull toward the vehicle when the tail passes peaking at about 5-8 feet behind the tail.

That is without a strong head/tail/crosswind or gusts.

Bottom line: I’d leave lots of lateral space and if I saw a pinch point ahead I’d make sure I won’t have passing traffic as I go through.

Reference to study here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19907897-post30.html

big chainring 08-19-20 07:03 AM

You might be able to control that back wind if you ease up on the legumes.

DangerousDanR 08-19-20 10:32 AM

I live in Fargo ND, and the wind you are describing happens a lot around here. I have ridden some with bags in that kind of wind, but on a tandem, which is very stable. I am of the same mindset as WhyFi: I have had tailwinds like that on tour, and they are a BONUS! I am a great big sail. In my university days I was constantly being asked if I was on the (American) Football team. You need to be aware, but I would not cancel a day's ride because of that level of wind.

Is there bus service along the route you are riding? We stopped riding for a few miles and caught a bus in Scotland because we were riding into a 30/40 MPH headwind. Going at 4 MPH for 20 more miles after covering eight miles in two hours was not enjoyable, and places we wanted to visit would be closed by the time we rode the full distance. So we stopped and took the bus. Yes, most buses in Scotland will take a fully loaded touring tandem in the luggage hold.

Also, can you pre-ride the route on Google maps? I know it is a lot of time but I have done that when I tour in an unfamiliar place. If I see something, like a cattle guard at the bottom of a long hill or a narrow spot in the road I am aware of it before I ride.

bruce19 08-19-20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21648215)
Luckily I don't remember any of the crash. All I remember is being found by some motorists, and trying to get back on my bike.

They talked me out of that.

Glad they talked you out of that. When I crashed and broke C1 & C2 (now fused) I knew I shouldn't move and I wouldn't let anyone take my helmet off until the EMTs showed up. All thanks to my days of being an MSF Instructor.