Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 05-18-20 11:23 AM

Fact check?

LAJ 05-18-20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21482286)
And, I can grind seeds, too!

Is he good with that?

Bah Humbug 05-18-20 11:35 AM

Strava appears to be in death throes.

LesterOfPuppets 05-18-20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21482334)

My experience at MTB trails seems to be supported by that.

Trailheads with weekend crowds during the week, and ain't no way I'm getting on the popular trails on a weekend. Cheek to jowl!

seedsbelize 05-18-20 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21482350)
Is he good with that?

An interesting twist on the word 'grind'. In the Maya village we lived outside of, in Belize, 'grinding' was making love. Joe Grinder was the man who came around and ****ed your wife while you were away
​​​​​​

Velo Vol 05-18-20 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21482402)
My experience at MTB trails seems to be supported by that.

Trailheads with weekend crowds during the week, and ain't no way I'm getting on the popular trails on a weekend. Cheek to jowl!

Are they riding new bikes?

LesterOfPuppets 05-18-20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21482421)
Are they riding new bikes?

Yep. Pricetags still on 'em and all. :)

WhyFi 05-18-20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21482363)

Huh. Just saw an article about the changes. We'll see how well this goes over.

Bah Humbug 05-18-20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21482514)
Huh. Just saw an article about the changes. We'll see how well this goes over.

For me, itís gone over like ďI cut off the feed from Garmin and am about to delete my accountĒ.

Theyíre a ****ty company that hasnít really added features in forever and segment placement tracking was mildly amusing. Now itís useless. Iím certainly not going to give them money, given their track record of demanding more and more for the same thing. Iíll just look i to the Garmin segments.

Velo Vol 05-18-20 01:21 PM

So, no more segment watching?

Oh well, I'm not in the running for KOM's these days anyway.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/8194/...for-free-users

BillyD 05-18-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21482076)

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21482120)
Maybe someday I can wrap my head around the actual scale of the event. It's mind-boggling that the entire side of the mountain just...slid off.

IKR Totally mind blowing that so much earth could be displaced by a single event. The power is unimaginable. :eek:

bampilot06 05-18-20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21482584)
So, no more segment watching?

Oh well, I'm not in the running for KOM's these days anyway.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/8194/...for-free-users

Just when I was about to start claiming all the KOMs.

BillyD 05-18-20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21482273)
I'll let you know when I get everything dialed in. Should be able to get here in 2 days from NY state, maybe 1 day if you fuel up on espresso along the way. :thumb:

If I recall I think I drove singlehanded from Chicago to NY in 13 hours back in the day. Just because.

No way I could do that today.

Bah Humbug 05-18-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21482680)
If I recall I think I drove singlehanded from Chicago to NY in 13 hours back in the day. Just because.

Thatís less than Boulder/Austin, Boulder/Phoenix, and Austin/Chattanooga. Done each of those in a single day. Itís not fun though.

WhyFi 05-18-20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21482249)
yeah, oversized bearing was going to be my suggestion. Whiteside has them in pretty much in all sizes for their pattern bits.

I did a little more searching. I don't understand why, but yeah, it's a very deliberate thing on the part of Bosch. Anyway, a guy on the WWing forum put this together as a solution, though he doesn't even have the table to try it out for himself - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4113223/files. I'm going to send the file over to my brother so that he can print it off for me sometime.

Bah Humbug 05-18-20 03:22 PM

So WhyFi, the 5KTLs are definitely a pain to install, but got the front one on in ~10 minutes. I'll do the rear tomorrow during a long conference call. They're a whole different game from those Hutchinsons though; those without the syringe I just pried away a bit of the bead and poured some sealant in. These I'm not breaking that bead if I don't have to. Need to put some sealant in because it's leaking like WOW right now; hopefully it's the sidewalls and not something else about the install.

And oddly, they didn't audibly snap into place, though they do appear to be correctly up on the shoulders.

Bah Humbug 05-18-20 03:32 PM

Actually, the tires are NOT seated; I can hear them slowly leaking and then they fall back into the center channel. Will going to particularly higher PSI with fast pumping get them onto the shoulders, or does it really take a single bigger blast from a compressor?

Trsnrtr 05-18-20 03:38 PM

My wife and I have done that driving home from the Gulf and also one time from Niagara Falls. I can't sleep afterwards because I'm vibrating from the road buzz.

datlas 05-18-20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21482363)

I saw that. Bummer.

WhyFi 05-18-20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21482870)
Actually, the tires are NOT seated; I can hear them slowly leaking and then they fall back into the center channel. Will going to particularly higher PSI with fast pumping get them onto the shoulders, or does it really take a single bigger blast from a compressor?

I've never seated a tired with just a pump, but I've only tried it once or twice. Compressor or air blast canister is the way to go.

You should definitely hear a big pop when they seat, but check the witness line so the way around the tire; they should not unseat with a loss in pressure.

And get a syringe or at least use the Orange Seal tube - I can only imagine the mess of seating a tire with sealant already in it.

seedsbelize 05-18-20 05:04 PM

Back in the day, I used to drive big city rush hours for sport. I hit St. Louis on a Friday evening, driving east from California. When I finally got through and crossed the river it was pitch black. And I was low on gas. I don't remember what transpired next, but I think I had to wait it out til morning light. After that one, I lost all interest.

seedsbelize 05-18-20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21483050)
I've never seated a tired with just a pump, but I've only tried it once or twice. Compressor or air blast canister is the way to go.

You should definitely hear a big pop when they seat, but check the witness line so the way around the tire; they should not unseat with a loss in pressure.

And get a syringe or at least use the Orange Seal tube - I can only imagine the mess of seating a tire with sealant already in it.

LoP does it that way. But then he's a professional.

WhyFi 05-18-20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21483084)
LoP does it that way. But then he's a professional.

That's the MTB way - bunch of potheads. Skinny tires? Through the valve, all the way.

Velo Vol 05-18-20 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21483074)
Back in the day, I used to drive big city rush hours for sport. I hit St. Louis on a Friday evening, driving east from California. When I finally got through and crossed the river it was pitch black. And I was low on gas. I don't remember what transpired next, but I think I had to wait it out til morning light. After that one, I lost all interest.

wut

Lemond1985 05-18-20 05:38 PM

Is was that danged "Hotel California" that got him, sounds like. "Wake you up in the middle of the night", indeed. It can be pretty terrifying, especially the mirrors on the ceiling, combined with the pink champagne on ice. :lol: