Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 06-22-20 09:00 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21547171)
Absolutely. There are good people in all professions. The trick is to find them. How do you find a good doctor? A good electrician? A good auto tech? Let me know when you solve that conundrum.

Yeah, big problem. It would help if authorities would publish at least relative data on patient outcomes, lawsuits, etc., but they won't. I have been involved designing a system to evaluate our own people and it's nearly impossible to do well.

My criteria when advising patients on how to find a specialist at home were to find someone who listened, acknowledged what they didn't know, and returned calls.

datlas 06-22-20 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547210)
Yeah, big problem. It would help if authorities would publish at least relative data on patient outcomes, lawsuits, etc., but they won't. I have been involved designing a system to evaluate our own people and it's nearly impossible to do well.

My criteria when advising patients on how to find a specialist at home were to find someone who listened, acknowledged what they didn't know, and returned calls.

I would be really careful with trying to identify "good" doctors. How patients and even colleagues judge competence is often based on communication/bedside manner.

I know some absolutely terrible physicians who are really quacks but they have very good empathy and/or bedside manner. Patients LOVE them.

berner 06-22-20 09:33 AM

This a topic I'm very much interested in having had some experience on both sides of the good/bad divide. As said, how to know the difference in advance. There is no clear answer.

MoAlpha 06-22-20 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21547235)
I would be really careful with trying to identify "good" doctors. How patients and even colleagues judge competence is often based on communication/bedside manner.

I know some absolutely terrible physicians who are really quacks but they have very good empathy and/or bedside manner. Patients LOVE them.

Dr. Bob Putzel from The House of God, for example.

WhyFi 06-22-20 09:58 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547210)
My criteria when advising patients on how to find a specialist at home were to find someone who listened, acknowledged what they didn't know, and returned calls.

That's pretty much my advice to those looking for any kind of salesperson/consultant, whether they're looking for a bike, a house, and audio system, etc.

phrantic09 06-22-20 10:01 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21547235)
I would be really careful with trying to identify "good" doctors. How patients and even colleagues judge competence is often based on communication/bedside manner.

I know some absolutely terrible physicians who are really quacks but they have very good empathy and/or bedside manner. Patients LOVE them.

Most patients think a good physician is one who will give them a **** ton of unnecessary tests and procedures for every little twinge because they demand it.

MoAlpha 06-22-20 10:12 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21547315)
That's pretty much my advice to those looking for any kind of salesperson/consultant, whether they're looking for a bike, a house, and audio system, etc.

Parking is important too.

LAJ 06-22-20 10:19 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547332)
Parking is important too.

And magazine selection.

MoAlpha 06-22-20 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21547351)
And magazine selection.

We went through a couple of years of infertility treatment before we got our daughter started. You should have seen those magazines!

LAJ 06-22-20 10:42 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547358)
We went through a couple of years of infertility treatment before we got our daughter started. You should have seen those magazines!

:eek:

MoAlpha 06-22-20 11:18 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21547318)
Most patients think a good physician is one who will give them a **** ton of unnecessary tests and procedures for every little twinge because they demand it.

Yes, like a cardiologist who will take me to the cath lab and subject me to electrophysiological mapping because my HRM went to 380 during a ride. Don't ask me how I got that idea!

Years ago, I trained with an elite-level age group triathlete who kept complaining to me about his heart. After many attempts, he finally got cathed for absolutely nothing. He did have a great big prostate though, and once finished the Lake Placid Ironman in total urinary retention with a liter in his bladder. Did okay too, as I remember.

seedsbelize 06-22-20 11:23 AM


Originally Posted by berner (Post 21547204)
Not surprising. Ted Williams, one of the greats was Mexicano.

And Fernando Valenzuela? I think it's him, has a park in Merida named after him. His home town.

seedsbelize 06-22-20 11:26 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21547318)
Most patients think a good physician is one who will give them a **** ton of unnecessary tests and procedures for every little twinge because they demand it.

Heathpack, is that you?

seedsbelize 06-22-20 11:31 AM

Another great ride! And it sounds like they may be coming to an end. Word on the street says we're going back to code red--total lockdown.. It seems our leaders are discovering what leaders all over the world are discovering. Wishing the numbers were dropping, and re-opening on that basis, can come back to bite you.

LesterOfPuppets 06-22-20 11:40 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21547486)
And Fernando Valenzuela? I think it's him, has a park in Merida named after him. His home town.

Played for the Dodgers Back in the 80s!

Bah Humbug 06-22-20 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547358)
We went through a couple of years of infertility treatment before we got our daughter started. You should have seen those magazines!

Magazines?

big john 06-22-20 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21547486)
And Fernando Valenzuela? I think it's him, has a park in Merida named after him. His home town.

Fernando-mania was a thing here. Such a strong pitcher, in terms of what a battler and closer he was.

LesterOfPuppets 06-22-20 11:47 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21547536)
Fernando-mania was a thing here. Such a strong pitcher, in terms of what a battler and closer he was.

Pretty big here in Phoenix also. We had a UHF station that carried all the Dodgers games so I watched him pitch quite a bit

MoAlpha 06-22-20 12:02 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21547535)
Magazines?

In the specimen production room. I forget which one begat my offspring. :innocent:

Bah Humbug 06-22-20 12:09 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547581)
In the specimen production room. I forget which one begat my offspring. :innocent:

I was calling you an old man. Magazines...

phrantic09 06-22-20 12:21 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547474)
Yes, like a cardiologist who will take me to the cath lab and subject me to electrophysiological mapping because my HRM went to 380 during a ride. Don't ask me how I got that idea!

Years ago, I trained with an elite-level age group triathlete who kept complaining to me about his heart. After many attempts, he finally got cathed for absolutely nothing. He did have a great big prostate though, and once finished the Lake Placid Ironman in total urinary retention with a liter in his bladder. Did okay too, as I remember.

I did say “most”.
I think patients should absolutely advocate for themselves, however one typically does not need to get a CT because their stomach has hurt for a few days.

seedsbelize 06-22-20 12:34 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21547553)
Pretty big here in Phoenix also. We had a UHF station that carried all the Dodgers games so I watched him pitch quite a bit

And I was a Reds fan throughout

LAJ 06-22-20 12:36 PM

Yeah. Before smartphones, there were tables with magazines on them.... Most of the magazines were older than I was, but that's beside the point.

LesterOfPuppets 06-22-20 12:57 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21547662)
And I was a Reds fan throughout

I was a Braves fan up til 94ish, while living in Portland, I decided to root for a more local team. Been a Mariners fan since.

​​​​​​But still, watching or listening to a game called by Vin Scully was one of life's great pleasures, no matter who your favorite team was.

LesterOfPuppets 06-22-20 12:58 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21547665)
Yeah. Before smartphones, there were tables with magazines on them.... Most of the magazines were older than I was, but that's beside the point.

Year-old sports illustrated, Field & Stream, and Family Circle. Quality reading material.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.