Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Trsnrtr 11-17-21 01:35 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22310510)
Neither did I.

Nor did I but I was there with bells on my toes and begging for the injection(s).

Trsnrtr 11-17-21 01:37 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22310512)
We lost another guy last week. 2 weeks away from retirement. His wife is still on a vent and doesn't know yet.

Ugh. :(

WhyFi 11-17-21 01:37 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22310755)
I don't see a need for a TT bike (YMMV).

I like them on flattish courses, 'specially where I haven't seen much by way of cohesive groups. Since there's no drafting or weight/aero power-ups on the TT bikes, I feel like it's a more honest personal benchmark of the effort.

Velo Vol 11-17-21 01:38 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22310624)

Quebec is not a country.

Maybe you should leave map curation to the experts?

Trsnrtr 11-17-21 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22310571)

Wow, they must have just released that. People were complaining that the stages had been released out of order with no map.

#MyFavoriteGrandTour

genejockey 11-17-21 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22310666)
I set out to do a moderately-paced ~40km route on Zwift and unwittingly selected B Brevet's current route. About 20 min in to my ride, I was overtaken by the pack. I didn't set out with the intention or desire to work at tempo, but I couldn't resist the draft and the drop multi. It actually worked out great - I got through a full cycle of the multiplier progression about 3 or 4km from the end of the route, so I just let 'em go and cooled down to the finish.

I got on Zwift with no particular plan, then I saw Innsbruck was up, so I threw caution to the wind and did the UCI Worlds route, with the big climb. As soon as I started rolling, I felt like my legs were not recovered from the 65 miles on Sunday, especially the quads. But I went anyway, trying to keep above FTP all the way - which is tough when you hit the flatter bits - and just kept on going. Then I did the "Leg Snapper" at as close to 400W as I could, though it was a good bit lower by the time I got to the top.

I figured my times on both would be slower than my best, because the legs weren't feeling all that great and my HR never got above the 150s on the big climb, so I was very surprised to see I'd scored PRs on both!

Then after my shower, we celebrated my birthday (2 days late) with Cuban food (paid for by The Younger Boy) and a Red Velvet cake (sans red food coloring) baked by The Older Boy. I'm pretty sure I ate all 670 of the Calories Zwift said I burned, just in cake and ice cream.

abshipp 11-17-21 01:40 PM

Broke a spoke towards the end of my ride today.

That means I need new wheels, right?

Velo Vol 11-17-21 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22310813)
No. Itís research. A trial. I would not bet on it working.

How can they even get that far if the cause is unknown?

WhyFi 11-17-21 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22310962)
Broke a spoke towards the end of my ride today.

That means I need new wheels, right?

Absolutely.

genejockey 11-17-21 01:42 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22310715)
Sounds like a good time. I don't think I've ever paid attention to the drop multiplier. I have 1.5M+ drops, I really like my rig (Tarmac + 808s), and I don't know what else I would use them for.

Yeah, I have a Canyon Ultimate and Aeroad, and the DT Swiss Die Cuts you can buy at a pretty low level, so I feel like I'm set. I also picked up a Specialized Tarmac somehow - some event I took part in. But I mostly don't pay attention to the gear, except for racing.

Velo Vol 11-17-21 01:43 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22310816)
Good ride today. Temps warmed up slowly to about 50 by the end. 100% fun!

It was warm enough that even I rode. Way too windy, though. :(

Trsnrtr 11-17-21 01:44 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22310816)
Good ride today. Temps warmed up slowly to about 50 by the end. 100% fun!

My ride started at 59 and cooled to 48 an hour later. I must be doing it wrong. :foo:

It was a full-fender day for me. Still got soaked.

Velo Vol 11-17-21 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22310962)
That means I need new wheels, right?

Or


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8559750ce9.png

genejockey 11-17-21 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22310962)
Broke a spoke towards the end of my ride today.

That means I need new wheels, right?

New wheels? Feh. You need a new bike.

abshipp 11-17-21 01:46 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22310964)
Absolutely.

I do think that the next big change to the Holdsworth will be a set of HED Ardennes. Once they actually come back in stock :rolleyes:

​​​​​

Trsnrtr 11-17-21 01:48 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22310966)
Yeah, I have a Canyon Ultimate and Aeroad, and the DT Swiss Die Cuts you can buy at a pretty low level, so I feel like I'm set. I also picked up a Specialized Tarmac somehow - some event I took part in. But I mostly don't pay attention to the gear, except for racing.


Are you guys talking bikes/gear or cartoon bikes/gear. It gets confusing. :foo:

genejockey 11-17-21 01:52 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22310963)
How can they even get that far if the cause is unknown?

"Cause" is a vague term here. Alzheimers has been studied for a long time, and (as I understand it) the reason for the mental decline and the death of a lot of neurons has to do with the accumulation of a lot of crappy proteins, "amyloid plaques", so in a way, that's the cause. OTOH, WHY that happens is harder to define, and may not be the same for everyone with Alzheimers. So, if you could prevent or decrease the accumulation of amyloid plaques, without knowing why they're there, you could reduce or prevent the mental decline and death of neurons.

BUT, I only know a very little about Alzheimers - I've only skimmed a few papers where things we were interested in might tangentially touch Alzheimer's research.

genejockey 11-17-21 01:53 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22310974)
Are you guys talking bikes/gear or cartoon bikes/gear. It gets confusing. :foo:

Cartoon gear. It slightly modifies the algorithm they use to convert real world power output into virtual speed across a cartoon landscape.

rjones28 11-17-21 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22310962)
Broke a spoke towards the end of my ride today.

That means I need new wheels, right?

Every repair is an upgrade opportunity.

rjones28 11-17-21 02:01 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22310979)
Every repair is an upgrade opportunity.

And some upgrades are new tool acquisition opportunities.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2a3e99e7d3.jpg

Velo Vol 11-17-21 02:05 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22310976)
So, if you could prevent or decrease the accumulation of amyloid plaques, without knowing why they're there, you could reduce or prevent the mental decline and death of neurons.

How, theoretically, could a vaccine do that?

datlas 11-17-21 02:17 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22310963)
How can they even get that far if the cause is unknown?

They think they have some understanding. But itís complicated, and not really well understood.

datlas 11-17-21 02:19 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22310976)
"Cause" is a vague term here. Alzheimers has been studied for a long time, and (as I understand it) the reason for the mental decline and the death of a lot of neurons has to do with the accumulation of a lot of crappy proteins, "amyloid plaques", so in a way, that's the cause. OTOH, WHY that happens is harder to define, and may not be the same for everyone with Alzheimers. So, if you could prevent or decrease the accumulation of amyloid plaques, without knowing why they're there, you could reduce or prevent the mental decline and death of neurons.

BUT, I only know a very little about Alzheimers - I've only skimmed a few papers where things we were interested in might tangentially touch Alzheimer's research.

I will defer to MoAlpha but I donít think they even know if the plaques are the cause vs the effect of a disease process.

Velo Vol 11-17-21 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22311005)
But itís complicated, and not really well understood.

Years of dealing with witch doctory has made me quite familiar with this.

BillyD 11-17-21 02:28 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22310927)
Tenure.

Even d-bags get tenure.

Tenure, much like unions, is a mixed blessing. A necessary evil, if you will.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.