Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

genejockey 02-17-22 12:49 PM

I've done worse.
Wordle 243 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 02-17-22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412361)
My daughter drove to Missouri to get her rescue dog.

The only things she could find closer were aggressive breeds, which she did not want. But, she's not a bubba.

Our Greyhounds came from other 'Neutral' states - Colorado and Florida.

Mojo31 02-17-22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22412481)
Only at the end. Otherwise you're doing everyone else's work for them.

Not if you're far enough ahead.

I would not lap the pack. I'd just get the big lead and then hang right behind the pack.

rjones28 02-17-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412454)
"Bring back film cameras!" the Boomers chanted.

They never went away.

The Best 35mm Cameras to Use in 2022 (gearpatrol.com)

Mojo31 02-17-22 12:53 PM

New OSHA Guidance for Protecting against COVID-19 in the Workplace

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22412482)
There are still many some fans, but the ability to take a couple test shots and make adjustments on the fly is priceless.

Lots of value with digital - ability to bracket, shoot a lot of pics without a film back as big as a back pack, shoot in RAW and adjust WB, focus track like you could never do in film cameras, and, of course, make it all look even better in post.

genejockey 02-17-22 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412446)
Haven't high-railed, but have ridden in a locomotive. Had a death case when I was a ute, and were out measuring sight lines and distances. Pretty cool riding in one, but would not want to do it for a living.

My Great Grandfather did it for a living. And a dying.

datlas 02-17-22 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412437)

Next up - cars with wind up windows.

The Saturn has wind-up windows. I still recall giving my kids' friends a ride and their excitement about the crank. "OH!! That's why they say roll down the window!!"

Eric F 02-17-22 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412429)
Just buttering me up for success.

What are your strengths? My best weapon was sprinting. I ended up winning the field sprint for 3rd place behind 2 strong guys who got away early and did a great job working together.

genejockey 02-17-22 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412486)
Not if you're far enough ahead.

I would not lap the pack. I'd just get the big lead and then hang right behind the pack.

You can't fooI me. I've watched too many breakaways get caught in the final km of a TdF stage.

Velo Vol 02-17-22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412472)
Gawd, that's ugly. I'm not a fan of the BPC* look. Not a chance that thing is going to live in my house.

Someone's missing out on undistorted, hiss/crackle-free music.

Eric F 02-17-22 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412477)
My family room system is simple, but it's not. It's simple in the fact that it is just an AVR, DirectTV box, BlueRay (that we never use), turntable, TV and speakers, all controlled with a Harmony remote. It's not simple because about every three weeks the system loses the WiFi connection and we can't stream, so we have to hard power down to get everything to reboot. Of course, that only happens when my wife has the remote in her hands.

Funny how it always seems to work that way.

I have intentionally kept my music rig separate from the TV system (which is fairly mundane).

Velo Vol 02-17-22 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22412492)
They never went away.

You have a Polaroid, don't you?

BillyD 02-17-22 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412494)
Lots of value with digital - ability to bracket, shoot a lot of pics without a film back as big as a back pack, shoot in RAW and adjust WB, focus track like you could never do in film cameras, and, of course, make it all look even better in post.

The list can go on and on. Itís a no-brainer.

Mojo31 02-17-22 01:05 PM

First "big boy" film camera was a Yashica 35mm that was fully manual. Really tested your abilities when shooting moving objects as you had to hand focus while you shot. This was taken with that camera coupled to a 200mm lens at the 1984 Dallas F1 Grand Prix:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...60e6b601b4.jpg

While not that good, it was one of the better shots I captured during that event.

Fast forward about 35 years, and the new tech and longer lenses allowed me to get this kind of panning shots without being anywhere near as close to the track:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ad785f2e24.jpg

rjones28 02-17-22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412437)
Sweet!

When I got back into the vinyl some years ago, my daughter (a digital age child) expressed surprise that there was music recorded on both sides of the "disc."

Next up - cars with wind up windows.

Digital and analog, all-in-one. The Future of Custom Vehicles: Ford Unveils All-Electric F-100 Eluminator Concept With New EV Crate Motor Customers Can Now Buy | Ford Media Center

Feat. windup windows.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5a42877284.png

Eric F 02-17-22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412501)
Someone's missing out on undistorted, hiss/crackle-free music.

False. I'm not missing a thing. I made a choice about my preferred music format in this particular listening space, and I'm 100% content with my decision. I enjoy the physical ritual of playing a vinyl record.

rjones28 02-17-22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412509)
You have a Polaroid, don't you?

Nope. I have a smartphone.

bampilot06 02-17-22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412498)
What are your strengths? My best weapon was sprinting. I ended up winning the field sprint for 3rd place behind 2 strong guys who got away early and did a great job working together.

I honestly donít know. My coach seems to think my power numbers are good in the sprint, I just need to practice. I can also hold a good pace when I get out front for longer than what most expect but I donít know what my strengths are. If I go to hard I do get dropped, Ask me how I know.

Eric F 02-17-22 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412524)
I honestly donít know. My coach seems to think my power numbers are good in the sprint, I just need to practice. I can also hold a good pace when I get out front for longer than what most expect but I donít know what my strengths are. If I go to hard I do get dropped, Ask me how I know.

Being good at sprinting is not just about power. Positioning and timing are critical components. Being able to move yourself into a good position - and hold it - in the closing laps requires a fairly high level FTP type power where you're not burning matches for the sprint. It took me a while to figure out my own recipe. I was never the type with an explosive sprint in the last 50 yards, and trying to compete in that game wasn't a successful plan for me. I was much better at winding up a 53x11 from a long way out (200+) and holding a high speed. It also meant that I was usually the one making the first jump, and people were having to respond to my game, where I was using my best weapon. Much more successful for me.

Mojo31 02-17-22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412522)
False. I'm not missing a thing. I made a choice about my preferred music format in this particular listening space, and I'm 100% content with my decision. I enjoy the physical ritual of playing a vinyl record.

The who that is missing something is the guy that thinks a cheap jam box is or was SOA. He's missing the warmth and nuance of analog, the dynamic range of a good amp/speaker combination, a decent sound stage, and the good, clean sound that comes out of good speakers.

Velo Vol 02-17-22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22412523)
Nope. I have a smartphone.

80% chance you had one once upon a time; 30% chance you still have it.

WhyFi 02-17-22 01:31 PM

This is where more spirited group rides come in handy, with contested town signs and whatnot. Hard to know what your strengths are, when push comes to shove, if push never comes to shove.

Mojo31 02-17-22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412540)

If he has one of the leather folding Poloroids, he may be a rich man.

Eric F 02-17-22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412540)

87.6% of statistics posted on the internet are made up by the poster.

genejockey 02-17-22 01:35 PM

Check out NorCal Cycling's channel on YouTube. He does a really good job discussing and demonstrating race tactics, using videos shot during races. Just don't watch the ones from this month (he crashed).