Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 03-07-22 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22431389)
I guess you could go on a massive "Unsubscribe" spree, then block whatever spam remains for a few weeks.

And create a secondary email account for buying stuff/joining things/etc.

I sometimes believe that "unsubscribe" really means, "let's verify your email address."

Mojo31 03-07-22 01:07 PM

Have the Paris Nice race on, and see that there are two things I want in my life: (i) integrated cockpit, and (ii) someone in a car to follow me and fix my bike when it breaks.

Also, 36 mph quads on the flats, but that ain't happening at my age.

WhyFi 03-07-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22431393)
Have the Paris Nice race on, and see that there are two things I want in my life: (i) integrated cockpit, and (ii) someone in a car to follow me and fix my bike when it breaks.

Also, 36 mph quads on the flats, but that ain't happening at my age.

Just get the person following you to motor pace you, instead - done and done.

Mojo31 03-07-22 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431404)
Just get the person following you to motor pace you, instead - done and done.

Even still might have to throw one of these into the mix.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...57d56e437.jpeg

Trsnrtr 03-07-22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431242)
Welp, Trsnrtr, I've done it, now - it's new grinder time. I've been wanting to get in to a single dose machine, which should be less waste and allow me to swap between beans with zero fuss, so I've got a DF64 en route. Hopefully it'll be here in a week or so. They sat in customs for weeks (months?) and I just don't like to pre-pay for something in limbo, but they're finally clear and on the way to the distributor. I went with Red because they were the cheapest and I'm cheap. :o

Me: rushes to check the net.

edit: I recognize those. Now, I want one. :lol:

phrantic09 03-07-22 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22431410)
Even still might have to throw one of these into the mix.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...57d56e437.jpeg

Fugly

LesterOfPuppets 03-07-22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22431391)
I sometimes believe that "unsubscribe" really means, "let's verify your email address."

A lot of times they are. I should have specified only to do that for legit email lists you're subscribed to. I enter a lot of contests that require signing up for an email list, so I have to have an Unsubscribe party every year or two.

genejockey 03-07-22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22431391)

You mean spam emails might not always be on the up-and-up? Say it ain't so!

genejockey 03-07-22 02:01 PM

I've noticed an increase in the number of emails with odd characters in the titles. It's worse than the old "V*iagr*a or C*ial*is by mail!" emails that one used to see. Or the ever popular "Arnazon Prirne Account Suspended!" ones.

WhyFi 03-07-22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22431444)
Me: rushes to check the net.

edit: I recognize those. Now, I want one. :lol:

They've gotten to be really popular, as far a piece of equipment in niche hobby is concerned. They're not without their warts, but people love the affordability, flexibility and high ceiling of the platform. It can take a number of aftermarket 64mm burrs, depending upon brew vs espresso, clarity vs body, that kind of thing. Hell, with all of the options in burrs, people have put together flow charts to help others decide which to buy :roflmao2:St James Hoffman did a video review of it a little while back, though I think that he just stuck with the stock burrs (which is also what I intend to do, for now).

WhyFi 03-07-22 02:55 PM

At the risk of making you other REI members jealous, I just got my REI dividend notice. Yup - almost twenty-one whole dollars burnin' a hole in my pocket. :D

Mojo31 03-07-22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431536)
At the risk of making you other REI members jealous, I just got my REI dividend notice. Yup - almost twenty-one whole dollars burnin' a hole in my pocket. :D

If you wait for a sock sale, you might be able to get a pair.

Mojo31 03-07-22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22431454)
Fugly

Indeed it is. That may be why they have discontinued it.

Eric F 03-07-22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431242)
Welp, Trsnrtr, I've done it, now - it's new grinder time. I've been wanting to get in to a single dose machine, which should be less waste and allow me to swap between beans with zero fuss, so I've got a DF64 en route. Hopefully it'll be here in a week or so. They sat in customs for weeks (months?) and I just don't like to pre-pay for something in limbo, but they're finally clear and on the way to the distributor. I went with Red because they were the cheapest and I'm cheap. :o

I read "grinder" and I thought you were talking about shop tools again. I had to read your post again to realize you're talking about coffee.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22431538)
If you wait for a sock sale, you might be able to get a pair.

Pffft - I bet that I could squeeze in some short, no-show socks at full pop.

genejockey 03-07-22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431536)

$4.04. Maybe I'll buy a couple energy bars.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22431544)
I read "grinder" and I thought you were talking about shop tools again. I had to read your post again to realize you're talking about coffee.

No, but it's not like I'm not injecting money in to that industry, too. :roflmao2:

I got my hands on a Milwaukee pin nailer (I got a reconditioned one, but I need to exchange it this week - it's not working up to spec) and electric screw driver (handy little thing) the other day. Might also pick up an oscillating multi-tool; Makita has a promo going - buy a "starter kit" (battery and charger) and you get to choose one of an handful of tools to receive free. The starter kit is on sale for $120 and the multitool normally goes for $130 - seems like a reasonable deal.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22431550)
$4.04. Maybe I'll buy a couple energy bars.

Shot Bloks for the win.

genejockey 03-07-22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431554)
Shot Bloks for the win.

I have those, but I'm down to my last Clif Bar.

Mojo31 03-07-22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431546)
Pffft - I bet that I could squeeze in some short, no-show socks at full pop.

That fourth tan line would be money!

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22431555)
I have those, but I'm down to my last Clif Bar.

Clif Bars just sit a little heavy in my stomach. I like them for camping, but not so much otherwise. For rides, I'd rather have a regular granola bar or Pearson's Nut Roll or some such.

phrantic09 03-07-22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431557)
Clif Bars just sit a little heavy in my stomach. I like them for camping, but not so much otherwise. For rides, I'd rather have a regular granola bar or Pearson's Nut Roll or some such.

Iíve been on an UnTapped kick lately when I rode long enough to need fuel

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22431565)

Oh, is that Ted King's syrup? I'd give it a whirl. In general, though, I feel like stuff marketed for on-bike consumption is just too expensive for what it is. That and, if I need to stop for more fluids, anyway, I like to poke around and see what snacks are available at different convenience stations.

datlas 03-07-22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431557)

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22431565)

A fellow cyclist introduced me to Nature's Bakery Fig bars a few years back. I am sold. They taste way better than usual "energy" bars.

phrantic09 03-07-22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431567)
Oh, is that Ted King's syrup? I'd give it a whirl. In general, though, I feel like stuff marketed for on-bike consumption is just too expensive for what it is. That and, if I need to stop for more fluids, anyway, I like to poke around and see what snacks are available at different convenience stations.

It is just maple syrup after all. I do the same- if I know I need to top off water I generally bring less good.