Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

big john 01-14-22 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22373866)
Roadies:

Roadies.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4bfbae88ae.jpg

Mojo31 01-14-22 11:54 AM

Mountain goats.

BillyD 01-14-22 11:55 AM

It pains me deeply to reveal this, but I agree with . . . . . . . gasp . . . . . . . Vol, on the gravel issue. Dirt (gravel) roads just aren't proper, in fact they're crude. What proper, sophisticated roadie wants to get muddy while cycling?

As usual, I blame Big Bicycle.

And you consumer guys. :roflmao2:

Sad.

Velo Vol 01-14-22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22373884)
"The lowest-rated – unhappiest – state was Mississippi, at 2.06. It was followed by Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama in ascending order, as Southern states dominated the bottom of the list."

Oh boy, what a grand P&R topic that would make.

You put much stock in happiness surveys?

Mojo31 01-14-22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22373906)
It pains me deeply to reveal this, but I agree with . . . . . . . gasp . . . . . . . Vol, on the gravel issue. Dirt (gravel) roads just aren't proper, in fact they're crude. What proper, sophisticated roadie wants to get muddy while cycling?

Sad.

You're asking us?

big john 01-14-22 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22373899)
I use them on all of our bikes. I stick with the Shimano QLs on the Shimano chains on my Trek, and KMC links on the others. I've never had a problem with one failing or coming apart. But, then again, I'm not cranking out massive watts all day long.

I know nothing about Campy stuff.

I've never had a problem pressing pins on a Shimano chain and still have a bunch of extra pins, the ones that come with a new chain. The old chains could be opened and reconnected easily with a simple chain tool.
I did connect a Campagnolo chain with a non-Campagnolo tool and it came apart while riding after a couple thousand miles. Luckily, I didn't fall and nothing was damaged.

I'll look into KMC and see if they have any info.

WhyFi 01-14-22 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22373887)
How confident are you in quick links? I've never used them on road bikes except for emergency repairs. I'm also neglectful of drivetrain maintenance, except for lubing the chain, and tend to let everything get trashed before I replace anything. Plus, I break things, but usually not chains.

I ask because I need to shorten the chain on my Campagnolo equipped bike. I bought a used crankset in September and the shop installed it for me along with a new chain I had and it has shifted like crap and dropped the chain ever since. I just realized the chain is too long when trying to diagnose the bad performance. I don't have a Campagnolo chain tool or an extra pin and was thinking of just using a quick link to shorten it.

Is there a specific quick link for Campagnolo chains? Anyone know if I can put my old 10 speed rings on an 11 speed Chorus crankset? The bcd is the same and they look similar. Instead of spending $100 for a big ring I thought I would try the old one from the cracked crankset and see how it works before dropping more dough into the thing.

The chains that I just replaced had about 5k miles on each, both with QuickLinks that were along for the entire ride, and removed/replaced for waxing a couple dozen times. I may not be as big as big john, but I'm not dainty on the pedals, either. :p

big john 01-14-22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22373904)
Mountain goats.

That's me, on 23s, on a stiff CAAD5. Fun day.

big john 01-14-22 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22373912)
The chains that I just replaced had about 5k miles on each, both with QuickLinks that were along for the entire ride, and removed/replaced for waxing a couple dozen times. I may not be as big as big john, but I'm not dainty on the pedals, either. :p

What brand of links? Some of them say single use only, what's up with that? I have one to carry on the mtb and it doesn't say that on the package. It's a SRAM.

big john 01-14-22 12:06 PM

Sad.

"Muddy" brings a whole different topic to the conversation.

bampilot06 01-14-22 12:07 PM

So I’ve heard about the bike supply shortage, car supply shortage, housing shortage, but no one is talking about the candy shortage. I can’t find gobstoppers anywhere.

WhyFi 01-14-22 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22373918)
What brand of links? Some of them say single use only, what's up with that? I have one to carry on the mtb and it doesn't say that on the package. It's a SRAM.

Shimano, which are single use; their definition of single use is pairing it for the lifetime of one chain. They just don't want you wearing out one chain with it and then moving it to another chain.

WhyFi 01-14-22 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22373925)
I can’t find gobstoppers anywhere.

So much for being everlasting.

Eric F 01-14-22 12:17 PM

Sad.

Improper roadies?
https://www.italy24news.com/content/...3378297be5.jpg

Velo Vol 01-14-22 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22373645)
Good morning all.
I have nothing substantive to add.
Buenos días amigos
NO tengo nada sustantivo añadir

¿Cuántas mandarinas te has comido hoy?

genejockey 01-14-22 12:25 PM

How confident are you in quick links? I've never used them on road bikes except for emergency repairs. I'm also neglectful of drivetrain maintenance, except for lubing the chain, and tend to let everything get trashed before I replace anything. Plus, I break things, but usually not chains.

I ask because I need to shorten the chain on my Campagnolo equipped bike. I bought a used crankset in September and the shop installed it for me along with a new chain I had and it has shifted like crap and dropped the chain ever since. I just realized the chain is too long when trying to diagnose the bad performance. I don't have a Campagnolo chain tool or an extra pin and was thinking of just using a quick link to shorten it.

Is there a specific quick link for Campagnolo chains? Anyone know if I can put my old 10 speed rings on an 11 speed Chorus crankset? The bcd is the same and they look similar. Instead of spending $100 for a big ring I thought I would try the old one from the cracked crankset and see how it works before dropping more dough into the thing.

The ONLY time a quick link failed me was when I reused the link from a worn out chain on a new one, because some sneaky bastard had stolen the quick link out of that package. It failed while I was going about 35 mph, standing on the pedals to keep momentum up as I climbed out the other side of a dip. I didn't crash, and I went back and recovered the chain, but I had to make The Call Of Shame, which was no big deal because I was 2 miles from home anyway. BTW, I only use KMC chains on anything over 8 speeds, so I don't have the pin issues.

I don't know about using 10 speed rings on 11 speeds, but I do use an 11 speed crank and rings on a 10 speed setup with no issues. Last I knew, Campy's front Ergo is just a ratchet, not indexed at all, so it's not like the spacing is all that important.

genejockey 01-14-22 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22373936)

Also worth noting that paving of most roads is a newer phenomenon than bicycling. Those guys who rode the TdF < 100 years ago - were they NOT roadies?

rjones28 01-14-22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22373871)
Look more like pathies.

Most of that particular ride was on Big Asphalt Approved™ surfaces. There was a short stretch that was abandoned pavement -- gnarly.

Eric F 01-14-22 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22373947)
Also worth noting that paving of most roads is a newer phenomenon than bicycling. Those guys who rode the TdF < 100 years ago - were they NOT roadies?

Just a guess, but the "roadie" label is probably a more recent development.

Velo Vol 01-14-22 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22373947)

They didn't have a choice.

genejockey 01-14-22 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22373884)
"The lowest-rated – unhappiest – state was Mississippi, at 2.06. It was followed by Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama in ascending order, as Southern states dominated the bottom of the list."

Oh boy, what a grand P&R topic that would make.

Yeah. I was going to comment on that, but after last nights kerfuffle, I thought better of it.

rjones28 01-14-22 12:33 PM

KMC and Sram are factory quicklink. I've had good luck with quicklinks on Shimano. Don't have direct experience with Campy though.

I'm sure if you don't use a Campagnolo pin, installed with a Genuine Campagnolo tool, Tulio will reach out from the grave and visit some evil upon you. So, be careful. :)

genejockey 01-14-22 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22373909)
You put much stock in happiness surveys?

Only when they confirm my prejudices.

genejockey 01-14-22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22373955)
Just a guess, but the "roadie" label is probably a more recent development.

Well, nobody's using the term "gravelie" yet. Maybe because it would make people think you had a voice like Richard Boone.

Mojo31 01-14-22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22373918)

Shimano says single use only. But, all my research suggests that it's okay to use them more than once as long as they are tight and not sloppy/loose fitting. SRAM and KMC don't say anything about it on their packaging, but I would go by the same standard - if they feel loose when in place it is probably time for a new one.