Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Eric F 01-14-22 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22374039)
^^^^^ Typical California cyclist. I don't do rain and I only ride plastic or beer can bikes on wet roads, but I guess now I have another option.

I used to be a tough guy. I thrived when conditions were cold and wet, and everyone else was miserable. I was young, strong, fast, and dumb back then. These days, I'm a little more concerned for the integrity of my personal structure.

genejockey 01-14-22 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22374034)
So on a recent group ride, one of my co-riders mentioned that he thinks I need to move my saddle back.

I don't necessarily agree, as it's set up for KOPS, more-or-less.

However, he may have a point. I notice that most other cyclists ride with the edge of their butt more-or-less even with the back of their saddle. For whatever reason, I am more comfortable sitting on my saddle and the edge of my backside is 1-2 cm PAST the edge of the saddle.

I don't see my position/setup as a problem since it's comfortable for me, but anyone have any comments?

Are your sit bones on the saddle?

My personal preference is to sit far enough back in the saddle that if I move any farther back I can feel the trailing edge of the saddle, but no farther.

Velo Vol 01-14-22 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22374019)
A little overcast at first, even felt a raindrop as I was loading up minivan #1, then sun started shining on me for the last 20 minutes of the ride.

There's more than one?

Eric F 01-14-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22373995)
Last time we were in SF, you should have seen us pigging out at the Ghirardelli place by the bay.

Are there people that don't do that?

genejockey 01-14-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22374045)
I used to be a tough guy. I thrived when conditions were cold and wet, and everyone else was miserable. I was young, strong, fast, and dumb back then. These days, I'm a little more concerned for the integrity of my personal structure.

Same here. It's the same reason I don't race IRL. I'm too old to break bones from bad luck or lack of skill - mine or anyone else's.

Velo Vol 01-14-22 01:15 PM

I don't see my position/setup as a problem since it's comfortable for me, but anyone have any comments?

My comment is that my saddle is as far up as it will go, and it still seems it should be up further.

genejockey 01-14-22 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22374041)
I think that you have enough miles in off the back of the saddle that you have a good idea of what works for you.

Fixted.

indyfabz 01-14-22 01:16 PM

Too soon, Wawa.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b034e8261.jpeg

genejockey 01-14-22 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22374050)
My comment is that my saddle is as far up as it will go, and it still seems it should be up further.

As the Ukrainian wrench at a bike shop I used to use would say, "Yoo nidd neew bi-eek"

big john 01-14-22 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22373984)
I did the shopping the other night since the spouse is sick, and the store was completely out of Ghirardelli 72% dark chocolate. That's the only one she will eat. Prolly the biggest crises I've faced in our 27 years together.

I like the Hershey's Special Dark but I don't know the percentage. It's sweeter than 72%, I think.

Eric F 01-14-22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22374049)
Same here. It's the same reason I don't race IRL. I'm too old to break bones from bad luck or lack of skill - mine or anyone else's.

That...and I have lost my taste for suffering at that level.

MoAlpha 01-14-22 01:18 PM

So on a recent group ride, one of my co-riders mentioned that he thinks I need to move my saddle back.

However, he may have a point. I notice that most other cyclists ride with the edge of their butt more-or-less even with the back of their saddle. For whatever reason, I am more comfortable sitting on my saddle and the edge of my backside is 1-2 cm PAST the edge of the saddle.

Move it an increment and see. Might be one of those tweaks we have in yacht racing where itís good for a quarter of a knot when you move it and another quarter of a knot when you move it back. Speed magic!

genejockey 01-14-22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22374048)
Are there people that don't do that?

(raises hand)

datlas 01-14-22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22374046)
Are your sit bones on the saddle?

My personal preference is to sit far enough back in the saddle that if I move any farther back I can feel the trailing edge of the saddle, but no farther.

Yes sit-bones on the saddle. The issue is that the distance from my sit-bones to the edge of my butt is about 5-6cm and they are about 4cm from the edge of the saddle, hence a cm or two of "overhang,"

So is saddle overhang a thing?? :twitchy:

WhyFi 01-14-22 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22374052)

Huh - I've never heard of those. Are they tasty?

indyfabz 01-14-22 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22374061)
Huh - I've never heard of those. Are they tasty?

I know people who like them, though not necessarily that brand. I have never had them.

Eric F 01-14-22 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22374057)
(raises hand)

Maybe it's different because you live in the area? It's been 10+ years since I've been to SF.

rjones28 01-14-22 01:22 PM

Comfort is king.

genejockey 01-14-22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22374058)
Yes sti-bones on the saddle. The issue is that the distance from my sit-bones to the edge of my butt is about 5-6cm and they are about 4cm from the edge of the saddle, hence a cm or two of "overhang,"

Then you're good, and obviously if you moved your saddle farther back, you'd be sitting on the less comfortable part of the saddle. I avoid the problem of other riders critiquing my position on the saddle by 1) not riding in groups or 2) tailgunning when I do.

So is saddle overhang a thing?? :twitchy:
I've seen quite a bit of it, usually on the first warm Spring Sunday, when people who've eaten all winter drag their bikes out of mothballs.

datlas 01-14-22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22374065)

I've seen quite a bit of it, usually on the first warm Spring Sunday, when people who've eaten all winter drag their bikes out of mothballs.

Are you saying my fit makes my butt look fat?!?

genejockey 01-14-22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22374063)
Maybe it's different because you live in the area? It's been 10+ years since I've been to SF.

Exactly. It's like when I lived near Gettysburg, and the Battlefield is just something you have to drive through to go the grocery store.

Plus if I want Ghirardelli chocolate, I go to Safeway.

rjones28 01-14-22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22374050)

Get a bike that fits.

genejockey 01-14-22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22374068)
Are you saying my fit makes my butt look fat?!?

Nah. It depends on how many edges of the saddle you overhang, and by how much, and whether you can even see the saddle anymore.

rjones28 01-14-22 01:26 PM

Did I miss Cadbury Egg Season?

Velo Vol 01-14-22 01:27 PM

Do they sell other cereals there?