Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Out of it a while... can I keep my old category? how do I look up results? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1182834)

pjcampbell 09-03-19 02:39 PM

Out of it a while... can I keep my old category? how do I look up results?

1) If I get back into racing can I start at cat3(where I left off)?
2) In the old days you could google "site:usacycling.org compid=120800" I can't figure out how to do this anymore.

There is this, but it is broken (missing results, etc.)
https://legacy.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=120800&view=

Don't really have any intentions at the moment, but I went for a ride for the first time in years yesterday. It'll get cold and snowy very quickly here but I may take another look see in April.

spectastic 09-03-19 02:53 PM

depends on how long you were out i think. friend of mine took like a 10 year break, and came back as a cat 4. he got to skip cat 5 because someone from USAC knew him. you can probably try to appeal to USAC to start back as a 4, so you don't have to deal with super bad bike handlers.

Radish_legs 09-03-19 04:09 PM

based on my interaction and talking to friends, I think there is often a high degree of discretion. Talk to them. For example, I was able to go from 5 to 4 after 4 races.

pjcampbell 09-03-19 04:11 PM

I emailed, they said 3. There is 1 advantage I see to 4, which is that Green Mtn Stage race has a 4/5 Masters 35+ field. If I do 3, there are a lot of younger dudes in there .

Enthalpic 09-03-19 04:54 PM

There is a local guy who took a big break, now races cat 5. He once wore the TdF yellow jersey... no joke (Alex Stieda).

Radish_legs 09-03-19 10:43 PM

we have a masters guy here locally who raced on a pro team in Europe (as an American) in his 20s. Then he stopped riding for 20 years. Comes back. And in just over a year is one of the very top cyclists in town. Podiums galore. Not sure what Cat they started him at though.

rubiksoval 09-05-19 07:59 PM

I didn't race for 7 years. Went online and bought a license. Not only was I still a Cat 1 seven years later, but I magically became a Cat 1 in cyclocross as well without ever having to do a race. So... yeah.

colnago62 09-08-19 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Enthalpic (Post 21106457)
There is a local guy who took a big break, now races cat 5. He once wore the TdF yellow jersey... no joke (Alex Stieda).

1st North American to wear the Yellow Jersey.

topflightpro 09-08-19 06:39 AM

I suspect it may depend on how long you’ve been out and whether they still have you in the system - which seems increasingly unlikely given how the most recent update seems to have purged all results before 2016.

rubiksoval 09-08-19 01:06 PM

Weird. I seem to have my results from when I first started in 2001, but no results from when I started back again in 2014. And no results from 2015, either.

Radish_legs 09-08-19 09:35 PM

the USA cycling website is programmed by monkeys. Not very smart monkeys either.

threeteas 09-11-19 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Enthalpic (Post 21106457)

Holy ****--Stieda came back as a 5? That's fantastic. Maybe that is what I should do, but I'd have to take out a completely new license.

threeteas 09-11-19 11:16 AM

I hadn't raced since 2009 and got my first license this year.

All my categories stayed the same, still a 3 on the road, 4 on the track and 4 in cyclocross. However, because I'd upgraded to Sport category in the old NORBA days I'm a Cat. 3 mountain biker. The trouble is, I've been absolutely smoked in every race (2) and group training races (about 4 of them) I've done. I would even argue that at this point it would be hard for me to hang in a 4/5s race.

It has been demoralizing and I've realized that my racing days are most likely over. Getting back up to race speed just doesn't seem worth it. It's all good, though, I'm also a much happier person than I was when I was racing. I still love riding!

aaronmcd 09-11-19 02:59 PM

Good question. I'm not gonna renew next year, but keeping 2021 in mind.

Radish_legs 09-11-19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by threeteas (Post 21118006)
I hadn't raced since 2009 and got my first license this year.

All my categories stayed the same, still a 3 on the road, 4 on the track and 4 in cyclocross. However, because I'd upgraded to Sport category in the old NORBA days I'm a Cat. 3 mountain biker. The trouble is, I've been absolutely smoked in every race (2) and group training races (about 4 of them) I've done. I would even argue that at this point it would be hard for me to hang in a 4/5s race.

It has been demoralizing and I've realized that my racing days are most likely over. Getting back up to race speed just doesn't seem worth it. It's all good, though, I'm also a much happier person than I was when I was racing. I still love riding!

downgrade to cat 4 on road.

carpediemracing 09-18-19 10:20 AM

The USAC website lost a lot of results this year sometime. Huge gap in results, mainly the mid-2000s to just about now. I have no more results listed early 2005 to mid 2017.

Discretion is key. Local administrator can make a judgement call. One racer came to me asking about starting category - he'd been on the Canadian National Team with Louis Garneau and Steve Bauer. They started him at Cat 3 (and it was appropriate). Another rider was a forever Cat 5 but a pro mountain biker. They upgraded him to 3 at some point, he was fine there, probably could have raced as a 2 but didn't place a lot as a 3 so couldn't upgrade. He was very strong though and could work hard all race long, I think he'd have been a solid addition to a Cat 2 race.

Psimet2001 09-19-19 09:40 AM

They have been dumping a ton of $ into the systems at USA Cycling. Getting off the old system (legacy) and into some better setups but in the process they seemingly willfully decided to drop results older than like 6 years. It sucks. I was about to go back and re-populate our state championship tallies but nope. Haven't cared enough to call in and see as I am sure those results are still available somewhere.

Stieda as a f'n 5?!! Now he is FINALLY my people.

As for coming back - One year I was racing Downers Grove with some of the best form I ever had (rat crap form for anyone real) and had an actual shot of doing well or at least I thought. Was schooled and housed by a rider I had never seen before. then ended up caught behind a wreck int he finish straight and dropped to 8th or 9th. Guy who won, "oh I was a cat 2 forever but I took some time off and they made me come back as a 4. Sorry. I won't be here long." *shrug* it's racing. There is always someone faster. Always.

Yes it is up to the upgrade coordinator. Especially now that the upgrade policy is no longer officially in the rule book but in the policy section or some such...

Another interesting fact- I was joking around during a LA meeting once and asked the upgrade coordinator who is my friend whom I was sitting next to "I wish I could downgrade to a 5 but the rulebook says you can't". Our area guy was there (Larry Martin for those that know him) so he says, "We can downgrade you but I just need Larry's OK. Hey Larry!" "Yeah?" "Can I downgrade Rob to a 5?" "Sure. Congrats on the downgrade Rob."