Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Muc off review (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235293)

NextDIYikeproj 07-23-21 09:15 AM

Muc off review

I picked up a bundle of Muc-Off bike cleaner and Bike protect a while ago and made a review. What’s your experience from them and what’s your go-to cleaning product?

PeteHski 07-23-21 11:48 AM

Their cleaner and bike protect spray is good. Their tubeless tyre sealant and valve stems are also good. Their chain lube is rubbish though.

BTW, your bike didn't need cleaning!

commo_soulja 07-23-21 12:01 PM

The pink bike wash works. Makes clean up super easy. Don't use the protector so can't comment.

NextDIYikeproj 07-23-21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22154670)

A bike ALWAYS need cleaning! 😉👍

KJ43 07-23-21 01:01 PM

I've tried it and it works fine. So does any number of other products including concentrated auto wash soap or simple green.

fredlord 07-23-21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by NextDIYikeproj (Post 22154686)

I don't ride in mud but I sure as hell ride in rain. Apart from drivetrains, I have never cleaned any of my bikes since becoming an adult.

PeteHski 07-23-21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by NextDIYikeproj (Post 22154686)

Ha ha. I love the Orca too. Really nice looking bike and don't see too many around (at least not here in the UK).

PeteHski 07-23-21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by KJ43 (Post 22154771)
I've tried it and it works fine. So does any number of other products including concentrated auto wash soap or simple green.

True, but what I like about Muc-Off cleaner is that you know for certain it isn't going to damage seals etc. on your mountain bike shocks etc. or contaminate your brake discs/pads. Not saying other cleaning products would cause damage, but some definitely do.

KJ43 07-23-21 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22155083)
True, but what I like about Muc-Off cleaner is that you know for certain it isn't going to damage seals etc. on your mountain bike shocks etc. or contaminate your brake discs/pads. Not saying other cleaning products would cause damage, but some definitely do.

Yes, any cleaner I buy (including to wash my car) is pretty mild. I do use covers on my rotors too, but I get what you are saying. Definitely something to pay attention to, but there are still a bunch of product of similar "mildness".

PeteHski 07-23-21 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by KJ43 (Post 22155105)
Yes, any cleaner I buy (including to wash my car) is pretty mild. I do use covers on my rotors too, but I get what you are saying. Definitely something to pay attention to, but there are still a bunch of product of similar "mildness".

Oh for sure it's not a unique cleaning product. It's just something you can use with confidence without any additional checks. I use it for cleaning alloy car wheels too. It's quite a strong cleaner for something that doesn't damage stuff.

redtires 07-23-21 07:22 PM

Their cleaner and bike protect spray is good. Their tubeless tyre sealant and valve stems are also good. Their chain lube is rubbish though.

This. I also can't for the life of me figure out why you would make chain lube smell like strawberry ice cream.

Sy Reene 07-23-21 08:33 PM

I don't see the point. If you're going to do 2 full spray downs with a garden hose anyway, just sponge down the bike with some soapy (a tiny bit of Dawn eg) water and rinse. Out of a spray bottle, I like the 1-step stuff -- eg. Pedro's Bike Lust. Just spray it on and wipe down. The 'protect' is built in.

Camilo 07-23-21 10:13 PM

I use soap and water followed by a thorough low pressure rinse. It's not a Ferrari with foo-foo paint.

PeteHski 07-24-21 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22155270)
I don't see the point. If you're going to do 2 full spray downs with a garden hose anyway, just sponge down the bike with some soapy (a tiny bit of Dawn eg) water and rinse. Out of a spray bottle, I like the 1-step stuff -- eg. Pedro's Bike Lust. Just spray it on and wipe down. The 'protect' is built in.

Agreed. That bike would have cleaned up just as well with just a bit of plain water and a quick sponge. But I took it as just a simple demo. That’s the sort of cleaning process I might use in reality with a muddy mountain bike. The bike protect spray is still a good idea to finish once you have hosed down your bike for whatever reason. I actually use the protect spray as a very simple lube for my mechs and cable guides. Also works well on shocks, suspension forks and dropper posts to keep them running clean. I actually use it more than the cleaner.

Racing Dan 07-24-21 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22155270)

But then it isn't bike-specific! Bike may assplode! ;-)

(Srsly, FUD sells a lot of expensive accessories, - and I'm certain any soap meant for kitchen utensils that is mild enough for you to have your hands in is not going to strip the paint off of your bike or turn it into a rust bucket. Dont put it in the dishwasher tho!)

epnnf 07-25-21 02:25 PM

Their chain lube is rubbish though.!

Whats wrong w/it? Works great for me; does not attract dirt.

redtires 07-25-21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Camilo (Post 22155358)
I use soap and water followed by a thorough low pressure rinse. It's not a Ferrari with foo-foo paint.

Mmmmmmm....could be though.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2f253c2bb3.jpg

PeteHski 07-25-21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by epnnf (Post 22157212)
Whats wrong w/it? Works great for me; does not attract dirt.

It turned my drivetrain into a mess in no time. But there are several versions. Maybe some of the others are better. I’ve only tried their basic wet lube because I had a freebie bottle of it. It was terrible, but to be fair I’m not a fan of oil based chain lubes. ZFC reviewed their all-singing-and-dancing hydrodynamic lube and totally slated it too. So I’m not convinced Muc-off know what they are doing with chain lubes. But I like most of their other products.

drlogik 07-25-21 03:09 PM

I just use the cheap car wash soap I get at the auto parts store for washing my car. I don't do that often though, maybe once every two years if the bike is really dirty. I usually just wipe my bikes down with a damp towel. Maybe I'm a contrarian but hosing a bike seems like a bad idea to me whether or not it's got electronics or not. I've tried the Muc Off lubes and they didn't impress me besides being expensive for what you get.

I'm sticking to my go to's:
Washing: Damp towel and Windex on the brake rims
Chain: Squirt or hot wax (depending on bike)
Bearings: Phil's or Motorex 2000 (depending on bike)
Cables: Finish Line Extreme Flouro grease
Pedal clips: Speedplay Cleat Lube

epnnf 07-26-21 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22157230)
It turned my drivetrain into a mess in no time. But there are several versions. Maybe some of the others are better. I’ve only tried their basic wet lube because I had a freebie bottle of it. It was terrible, but to be fair I’m not a fan of oil based chain lubes. ZFC reviewed their all-singing-and-dancing hydrodynamic lube and totally slated it too. So I’m not convinced Muc-off know what they are doing with chain lubes. But I like most of their other products.

hmmm Im using their dry lube. Ive never used any of their other products

NumbersGuy 07-26-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by redtires (Post 22155188)
This. I also can't for the life of me figure out why you would make chain lube smell like strawberry ice cream.

Hmmmm, I can't figure out why you would not want it to smell like strawberry ice cream......

NextDIYikeproj 07-26-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy (Post 22158313)
Hmmmm, I can't figure out why you would not want it to smell like strawberry ice cream......

Cause you would stop like all the time trying to find the damn ice cream! 😂

NoWhammies 07-28-21 08:12 AM

I have their pink bike wash and like it. Does a good job.
I only have experience with their hydrodynamic lube and I was not impressed. Won't be buying it again.

Broctoon 07-28-21 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by KJ43 (Post 22154771)

I've never tried Muc Off, but I've used Dawn dish soap and various car wash products. I also like Simple Green, but caution people that it can be corrosive on bare metal parts. You have to rinse it very thoroughly.

MrWasabi 07-28-21 04:56 PM

I'm a big fan of Bike Brite:
https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Brite-MC...7512713&sr=8-1

I've been using it for years on motorcycles, dirt bikes and bicycles. I also use it on my bicycle helmets. Less corrosive than stuff like Simple Green and leaves basically no spots. Just rinse off bike, spray on liberally, wait a few and then rinse off. The one gallon jug will last a long time so it's really not that expensive.