Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=340)
-   -   Chain maint on a trainer-mounted bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238396)

oldwinger14 09-09-21 06:58 AM

Chain maint on a trainer-mounted bike

How often, if ever, should the chain on a trainer-mounted bike be cleaned and re-lubed? In past years, I have not done any chain maintenance since there’s no puddles, road dirt, etc.. to get on the chain. Should I still clean/lube the chain occasionally or continue doing nothing?

Milton Keynes 09-09-21 06:59 AM

Probably doesn't need cleaned as much as a chain on a bike being ridden on the road, but probably should still lube it once in a while.

topflightpro 09-09-21 07:01 AM

It depends.

How clean is the room where the bike/trainer is? Mine is in my garage, so there is still plenty of dirt/dust that gets kicked up and eventually sticks to the chain.

Just keep an eye on it to make sure it is clean and properly lubed.

oldwinger14 09-09-21 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 22222134)
It depends.

How clean is the room where the bike/trainer is? Mine is in my garage, so there is still plenty of dirt/dust that gets kicked up and eventually sticks to the chain.

Just keep an eye on it to make sure it is clean and properly lubed.

Keeping an eye on it and, perhaps, an ear to listen for the chain getting noisier seems reasonable. My bike and trainer are in my basement. Not much more than normal house-related dust….which is kind of why I posed my question.

tempocyclist 09-09-21 04:18 PM

The drivechain on my trainer bike gets a clean about once a month, just out of routine. It does pick up some dirt/dust as it's in the garage.

A quick clean down and re-lube gets everything running quietly again and you'll also get a few more "miles" out of the parts before they need replacing.

jaxgtr 09-09-21 05:29 PM

I had to lube it every so often when it starts to get a little more noisy. Clean it far less than if I was using it outside, but my trainer is in my office, so just picks up random dust from the air.

jpescatore 09-10-21 04:04 AM

I've had a dedicated bike in my trainer in the basement for 4 years now - I go by the noise, which usually means about once per winter I'm cleaning/lubing the chain.

I do check chain and cog wear - on my Zwift use I tend to only use the big front chain ring and one or two of the smaller cogs in the rear, unless I'm doing something crazy like Alpe de Zwift. At the default setting of 50% "difficulty" you don't do much shifting at all and I destroyed the small chain ring in the back. I changed the setting to 75% and now do more shifting and spend less time on that tiny cog. The chain wears very slowly compared my outdoor bike - cleaner environment, no rain, fewer miles per year.

Troul 09-10-21 05:44 AM

If your sweat is contacting it, you'll get more life from it if it's cleaned & lubed every so often.
have pets? Make it a priority sooner than every so often.
Is it in a carpeted room? More frequently wouldn't hurt.
I put mine out in the enclosed makeshift patio when temps are staying above the teens during use. I will remove & clean up the chain every handful of rides. The other parts get a season cleaning or two in the fall/winter.
tire psi is checked every other week. Temp swings will alter it's stability.
Bb & rear axle are maintenanced once at least before it's put in use.
I'll release the tension on the seat clamp & give it a twist here & there.
Cables are left alone until they call for attention. Getting stranded on the trainer is a risk I'm willing to take.

oldwinger14 09-10-21 09:27 AM

Thanks to all that have answered, and almost all recommend periodic cleaning as dictated by how noisy the chain is. I will follow that advice…..

unterhausen 09-11-21 04:05 AM

Moved here from General Cycling