Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

phrantic09 02-04-22 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22398039)
Stuff in that really high-end space seems to be priced with an eventual 50% Off sale in mind, or so it seems to me. If not, well, I find it hard to imagine that there isn't something out there that'll do at least 98% as well for half as much.

Right. The Pactimo jacket is rated from 0-40 degrees and I’m looking for something to fill the 0-20 spot really. It’s also 50%off right now.

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22398058)
1: As in bringing the pulley closer to the cog?

2: Ignore this if you know this already, but Shimano wants the guide pulley slightly outboard of the centerline of the smallest cog. Giving it a little more room to overshift makes everything a lot happier.

Long cage derailleurs will exacerbate misalignment, for sure.

They are also are never happy backpedaling when in the largest few cogs, at least with 1x MTB systems.

yes- closer to the cog.

That’s what I read too about backpedaling. It happens on the big cog in both the rings up front. I have only tried it on the road wheels, not sure if it would repeat on the gravel wheels. I didn’t know that about the h limit, but it was definitely slightly inside of the cog before.

phrantic09 02-04-22 04:19 AM

Wordle 230 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟨🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

LesterOfPuppets 02-04-22 04:23 AM

Wordle 230 3/6

🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Trsnrtr 02-04-22 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22398070)
Delivery in a taxi on the way to the hospital?

Close. Chevy.

Mother being driven to hospital by friends because my father was out of town. Doctor was in another car in front of them. They got stopped when a lift bridge was up over the Illinois River. Doctor delivered me there. :)

My birth certificate states “In Transit” for birth location.

ls01 02-04-22 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22397774)

is futile, you will be assimilated

indyfabz 02-04-22 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22397841)
I drove through 3 PA counties yesterday. Pit stop in Monroe.

I woke up in a PA county this morning.

MoAlpha 02-04-22 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22398096)
I had never heard of the latter, so I looked it up. Per Mayo, the term "Ocular Migraine" is used for both aura and Retinal Migraine. This is DEFINITELY the former, though - the first time I got one, I thought there was something on or in one of my eyes, so I closed one at a time to see which one. It was in both. "MY GOD!!! IT'S IN MY BRAIN!!!!!", I thought. "I must be having a STROKE!!!!"

So I went over to a coworker to start up a conversation, thinking if I were speaking gibberish, she'd let me know. Silly, I know. And I wasn't - no more than usual, anyhow.

So I googled 'visual distortion' and the third result described it perfectly, right down to the whole 'lasting about 20 minutes' part. Never accompanied by a headache, either, and I know because as a ute I used to get migraines.

Yeah, there is unfortunate confusion in the lay use of the terms and Mayo should know better, especially given the great difference in clinical significance and the clear semantic difference between “visual” and “ocular.” Thus is the language polluted.

Good thinking on the both eyes thing. Many people with classic aura will also assert it’s in one eye, adding to the confusion.

It is said that 50% of neurologists have migraine. I have never had a headache following an aura.

indyfabz 02-04-22 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22398062)
I wasn’t born at home, either.

mvnsnd 02-04-22 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22397980)
I was jst about to leave work, having completed a bunch of scRNAseq analysis, and I noticed a little distortion in my vision, just below my focal point and a bit to the left. "Is this another ocular migraine?" I asked myself. Spent the nex 5 minutes trying to see it, with little success. Just about the time I decided it wasn't, I realized that it is, indeed, an ocular migraine. So I guess I'mma stay here at work for a while. especially since it's decided to expand right into my focal point.

Should be gon ie in 20 minute or so. The first one freaked me right the f*** out, but everything I read on them says they're nothing to worry about. Just seems like a bad idea, driving at night while having one.

For some reason, I get these fairly often. And like you, I just sit tight for the ~20 minutes takes to go away. Never any pain, just the faint fuzzy outline moving across my vision. I also get a bit light sensitive when they happen, and find it not so easy to focus on my computer monitor. And now it just occurred to me that these mostly happen at work. hmmmm

datlas 02-04-22 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22398132)
datlas what do you say to patients, maybe special ones with issues, who ask about taking extra vitamin D or even getting tested for it?

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...019.02410/full

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLsoK5RtE0

I know about the recent study that suggested a D supplement resulted in a modest but real decrease in autoimmune disease.

I think it's too soon to put everyone on D supplements just yet. Patients are going to do what they want regardless of what I tell them.

datlas 02-04-22 06:29 AM

I get the "visual migraines" sometimes too. Started around age 40, and they happen sporadically but often enough to be an occasional nuisance. Sometimes I have a funny headache afterwards and sometimes not.

datlas 02-04-22 06:51 AM

Hey big john forgive me for more questions about rides your way, but here is a route I got from the Pasadena Trek website, they have several posted. They "say" it's a road bike route but this route from Pasadena to Mt Wilson looks like much of it is on a trail or gravel. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32044357

I am guessing this one is a better one for Mt Wilson as it seems to be no gravel. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32007710

Comments? OK to PM me to minimize noise in this place.

bampilot06 02-04-22 06:52 AM

70 degrees this morning. I’m really tempted to ride but there are a few items to address.
1. I completely detailed my Cervelo last night, including scrubbing the wheels. Roads are wet.

2. It’s very very windy

3. It could start pouring at any moment.

But it’s 70 degrees………… Desicions.

bampilot06 02-04-22 06:59 AM

I can’t remember if I posted this or not. Two weeks ago my wife had the new car in a car wash. It was the type of car wash where the wheel is in the track and it pulls the car forward. While she was in the car wash, the car enfront of her popped off the track and came to a stop. She couldn’t see it becuase of all the machines and her car was pulled into the back of the car.

There was no damage to the other car but it crushed our grill on the brand new car. Police were called insurance was exchanged but the owner of the car wash was adamant that he was not at fault. “video evidence” shows our cars never touched, according to him. He wouldn’t let us see the footage.

Long story short we got a call last night that the car wash will pay to fix the damages.

datlas 02-04-22 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22398309)
70 degrees this morning. I’m really tempted to ride but there are a few items to address.
1. I completely detailed my Cervelo last night, including scrubbing the wheels. Roads are wet.

2. It’s very very windy

3. It could start pouring at any moment.

But it’s 70 degrees………… Desicions.

I would go for a ride. Don't you have a backup/beater bike to take if you are concerned about getting your jewels all messy??

seedsbelize2 02-04-22 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22398132)
datlas what do you say to patients, maybe special ones with issues, who ask about taking extra vitamin D or even getting tested for it?

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...019.02410/full

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLsoK5RtE0

What's with that pic?

bampilot06 02-04-22 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22398320)
I would go for a ride. Don't you have a backup/beater bike to take if you are concerned about getting your jewels all messy??

cervelo is the back up bike.

Family decided to go to the disney store instead. We’re heading up to Moalpha territory.

Mojo31 02-04-22 07:34 AM

Going to have a sporty sail this morning. Wind and seas are up. Should be fun.

bampilot06 02-04-22 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22398332)
cervelo is the back up bike.

Family decided to go to the disney store instead. We’re heading up to Moalpha territory.

Apparently the disney store closed so now we’re back to square one.

bampilot06 02-04-22 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22398344)
Apparently the disney store closed so now we’re back to square one.

Disney store closed because they moved into the target next door, so plan is back on.

Mo have you ever been to A-1 cycles? Is it worth stopping by?

Velo Vol 02-04-22 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22398299)
I think it's too soon to put everyone on D supplements just yet.

I'm not asking about everyone. What about special patients who have chronic inflammation, anemia, are taking daily steroids, probable bone density issues, but otherwise are doing just fine? Is there likely a problem caused by ingesting 600 - 4,000 IU?

indyfabz 02-04-22 08:07 AM

Wordle 230 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Once again I had it narrowed down to 2 after 2 and picked the wrong one.

DougRNS 02-04-22 08:08 AM

The awesome Marigold jacket was $50
#Winning

Velo Vol 02-04-22 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22398323)
What's with that pic?

Watch the video and find out.

Velo Vol 02-04-22 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22398342)
Going to have a sporty sail this morning. Wind and seas are up. Should be fun.

I wouldn't do that.

datlas 02-04-22 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22398372)
I'm not asking about everyone. What about special patients who have chronic inflammation, anemia, are taking daily steroids, probable bone density issues, but otherwise are doing just fine? Is there likely a problem caused by ingesting 600 - 4,000 IU?

I think it's fine for you to take 1000 IU daily. Feel free to ask your nurse or witch doctor for a second opinion.

datlas 02-04-22 08:21 AM

"Before you share your next wordle score, remember this" from CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/03/opini...mer/index.html

I did today's in 3 guesses :innocent:

BillyD 02-04-22 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22398377)
I wouldn't do that.

We know.

LAJ 02-04-22 08:36 AM

Wordle 230 3/6

🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

"And while that's not the worst way to think about the games we play, it does betray a puritanical streak in American culture: a sense that pleasure must be qualified, that fun must be intellectualized, that vice must be transformed into virtue."

This does not just apply to a silly online game. When sound advice is given, there now seems to be a rider to it... "Likely half the country will not follow this advice..." Virtue doesn't just apply to vice, in this new world. Advice must be somehow intellectualized, and those that don't accept it, no matter how trivial, are somehow made to feel "less".

It's a ******g game.

Velo Vol 02-04-22 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22398388)
I think it's fine for you to take 1000 IU daily. Feel free to ask your nurse or witch doctor for a second opinion.

Speaking of whom, this morning I got a message from them that they can't refill my MTX because "we don't have any recent labs."

Readers of this thread will recall that I was just there on Tuesday for 2+ hours for an infusion, during which time they could have easily done said labs.

Now I'm trying to send a report from the other place from October, hoping that will suffice.

She wanted me to FAX it to them, circa 1993.

THESE PEOPLE. SMH. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: