Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

genejockey 05-16-22 02:11 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22508815)
Those things are fun, at least at my age. I wish there were more of the share ones around my neighborhood.

Last week, I was passed going uphill by two utes on those. I thought, "At least they're outside."

This week, I heard a loud buzzing, ripping sound that only got louder and rose in pitch, and it turned out to be 5 utes on gas-powered versions with no mufflers, going up a 3% grade at full throttle. It was so loud in involuntarily flinched as they passed. I was much less charitable in my thoughts toward THEM.

datlas 05-16-22 02:14 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22508829)
Probably fine for her, then. But seriously, you would not want to be in it with the roof on. Not joking.

I have a short torso and long legs, so might be ok. I have plenty of headroom in our little Fit.

MoAlpha 05-16-22 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22508841)
Last week, I was passed going uphill by two utes on those. I thought, "At least they're outside."

This week, I heard a loud buzzing, ripping sound that only got louder and rose in pitch, and it turned out to be 5 utes on gas-powered versions with no mufflers, going up a 3% grade at full throttle. It was so loud in involuntarily flinched as they passed. I was much less charitable in my thoughts toward THEM.

I have only tried the electric version, but they have plenty of power. Speed seems to be governed at around 20 mph.

ls01 05-16-22 02:17 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22508396)
The Miata caters to the person who wants a convertible sports car that is reminiscent of the British and Italian sports cars of the '60s and '70s - wind in your hair, sporty handling, fun to drive. They are not particularly fast, and do not really appeal to the person looking for a fast performance car (e.g. Porsche Boxster or more types). But, they are quick, fast enough, and very engaging to drive. In fact, in my mind, a well-handling car that has modest horsepower can be much more fun to drive than a very powerful car because you don't have to worry so much about it getting out of hand or getting in trouble with the law.

I'd get her the Miata in a heart beat if she really wants it. It comes with a stick or automatic, but I'd recommend the stick if she can drive it or learn to drive it. It's not a "practical" car in terms of carrying capacity, but no two-seat car is. There is room for groceries in the trunk and you can always put more on the passenger floor and seat (I have personal experience with that). Being a cautious driver will not prevent her from having fun with it.

They are also reasonable to maintain and reliable.

I'd imagine it would put a big smile on her face, and that's what you are really after, isn't it?

I wouldn't wait for the Saturn to die either. It's served its duty. ;)

Go on you tube and look up Project Thunderbolt. Guy takes a nice little Miatz and slips an Ls01 backed with a 6 speed Manuel into it. Very clean work. Talk about fun to drive....

ls01 05-16-22 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22508527)
Saturns don't rust.

They just fade away........

Mojo31 05-16-22 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22508845)
I have a short torso and long legs, so might be ok. I have plenty of headroom in our little Fit.

You can always try one on before buying. I'd also consider how often you'll be in it if it is your wife's to drive. Yesterday was the first time I've been in my wife's car in about 6 months.

ls01 05-16-22 02:22 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22508540)
Some of the body panels may not, but the other parts certainly can and do!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2ab43b26f9.jpg


There isn't even any holes rusted in it yet...

Mojo31 05-16-22 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22508829)
Probably fine for her, then. But seriously, you would not want to be in it with the roof on. Not joking.

It's a sports car. There are supposed to be compromises and challenges. :p

ls01 05-16-22 02:25 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22508590)
Yeah, but what most folks think of when cycling comes to mind is idiots blowing through red lights in front of them so they have to hit the brakes, and then the rider flips them off. At least, that's what everybody says in the comments under any article about cyclists being run over by cars or trucks.

Dammit Gene! We talked about this, stop following me around!....

big john 05-16-22 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22508838)
Totally agree, that's why I didn't mention gravel riding, I mentioned single track mtn biking and cyclocross..


I'm just saying that for someone to be opposed to the riskier versions of cycling is not an odd thing. Losing time to heal up from avoidable injuries is not the goal of having fun.

But, to each his own.

The same could be said for singletrack as I said for dirt in general. There are gentle trails and there are steep, rocky trails. Cyclocross is generally a low speed event.

Obviously I have no issue with anyone opposed to participating in any form of cycling. I don't even mind a bit of good natured ribbing. But it's uncalled for when someone makes an obnoxious post about another person's activity.

Velo Vol 05-16-22 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22508815)
Those things are fun, at least at my age. I wish there were more of the share ones around my neighborhood.

You're the first person I've heard who wished there were more sitting around.

big john 05-16-22 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22508845)
I have a short torso and long legs, so might be ok. I have plenty of headroom in our little Fit.

I think the Fit has a lot more headroom than a Miata. I've driven a few Miatas and I didn't think they were as cramped as some other cars. The Saturn Sky comes to mind.

Mojo31 05-16-22 02:33 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22508851)
Go on you tube and look up Project Thunderbolt. Guy takes a nice little Miatz and slips an Ls01 backed with a 6 speed Manuel into it. Very clean work. Talk about fun to drive....

The exhaust is music to my ears.

Has to be a ****can full of fun with 525hp and weighing less than 3k.


Velo Vol 05-16-22 02:39 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22508865)
But it's uncalled for when someone makes an obnoxious post about another person's activity.

Good thing I don't post anything obnoxious! #ToughLove

MoAlpha 05-16-22 02:41 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22508868)
You're the first person I've heard who wished there were more sitting around.

They're always in the way and never there when you want one. This is one of the great paradoxes of modern life.

LesterOfPuppets 05-16-22 02:53 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22508883)
They're always in the way and never there when you want one. This is one of the great paradoxes of modern life.

I saw one partially submerged in Tempe Town Lake the other day. I wonder how they do underwater...

Between those scooters and the autonomous cars, Tempe is pretty scary! :)

ls01 05-16-22 02:55 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22508873)
The exhaust is music to my ears.

Has to be a ****can full of fun with 525hp and weighing less than 3k.

LS3 V8 Miata Build - Project Thunderbolt Part 14 - YouTube

He drives it in some winding mountain roads on camera. I started breathing hard...? It's such a clean install too. Makes me miss my Camaro...

MoAlpha 05-16-22 02:55 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22508894)
I saw one partially submerged in Tempe Town Lake the other day. I wonder how they do underwater...

Between those scooters and the autonomous cars, Tempe is pretty scary! :)

I'm waiting for autonomous scooters so I can look at my phone (more) on the way home from happy hour.

ls01 05-16-22 03:04 PM

Thank you Jeff Bayzose (or however you spell his name) cassette was waiting for me on the porch. Contador is back in battery. Newly refitted with 53/39 front rings, and 11 speed 28-11 cassette in back, all cable shifting. I have all the parts for the '16 Tarmac to be refitted with 11 speed Red ETap and cable pulled disk brakes. That will be my climbing rig, with 50 /36 compact and a 11-34 cassette. All 3 bikes will be Red. No more Force boat anchors.

ls01 05-16-22 03:05 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22508878)
Good thing I don't post anything obnoxious! #ToughLove

wut

Mojo31 05-16-22 03:07 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22508895)
He drives it in some winding mountain roads on camera. I started breathing hard...? It's such a clean install too. Makes me miss my Camaro...

The vid I posted shows him driving in the hills. Pretty impressive build.

Mojo31 05-16-22 03:11 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22508894)
I saw one partially submerged in Tempe Town Lake the other day. I wonder how they do underwater...

Between those scooters and the autonomous cars, Tempe is pretty scary! :)

I saw one underwater in Town Lake in Austin. It did not seem to want to function.

genejockey 05-16-22 03:24 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22508743)
Soon, crits raced in the garage will be the norm, and our risk aversion will be complete.

HEY!

Or, alternatively,

NORM!

genejockey 05-16-22 03:26 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22508894)
I saw one partially submerged in Tempe Town Lake the other day. I wonder how they do underwater...

Between those scooters and the autonomous cars, Tempe is pretty scary! :)

There was a section of a river in Paris that they drained a while back. The damn thing was FULL of discarded Citibikes.

genejockey 05-16-22 04:04 PM

I normally bring my lunch to work. Cheaper and easier to control calories. The days I don't, I usually go to a taqueria near downtown Brisbane (CA, not Oz). It's close, it's decent, it's fast. This morning, I didn't have time to make a sandwich, so come lunchtime I hop in the Challenger and zip over to the strip mall where the Taqueria is. They closed. By chance, the cashier (probably family) recognized me and said they lost their lease after 10 years. :cry:

I need to put in some time checking out the other nearby places, I guess. Or never miss making my lunch.

Losing their lease seems odd, given the restaurant next door them went out of business early in the Pandemic and has sat empty since.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.