Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How much does your bike actually weigh? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1290627)

jackb 03-31-24 12:15 PM

How much does your bike actually weigh?

As a recreational rider not especially concerned with speed, I thought I'd weigh my bicycles just for the hell of it. My 2022 Trek Checkpoint SL5 weighed 26.2 lbs. with two bottle cages, rear rack, top tube bag, pedals, frame pump, tube, tire levers, tubeless repair kit, mini-tool, bell, cycle computer and rear light.. My 2019 Trek Domane sl5 disc weighed 24.2 lbs with two bottle cages, top tube bag, under the saddle bag, rear light, cycle computer, bell, mini-pump, tire levers, extra tube, patch kit and mini-tool. What do other riders' bikes weigh? The weights surprised me a bit, because they seemed high, but when I consider all the things I ride with the bikes didn't seem especially heavy.

13ollocks 03-31-24 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jackb (Post 23200772)
As a recreational rider not especially concerned with speed, I thought I'd weigh my bicycles just for the hell of it. My 2022 Trek Checkpoint SL5 weighed 26.2 lbs. with two bottle cages, rear rack, top tube bag, pedals, frame pump, tube, tire levers, tubeless repair kit, mini-tool, bell, cycle computer and rear light.. My 2019 Trek Domane sl5 disc weighed 24.2 lbs with two bottle cages, top tube bag, under the saddle bag, rear light, cycle computer, bell, mini-pump, tire levers, extra tube, patch kit and mini-tool. What do other riders' bikes weigh? The weights surprised me a bit, because they seemed high, but when I consider all the things I ride with the bikes didn't seem especially heavy.

2000 Litespeed Vortex 55cm, Campag Chorus, inc computer and rear light mounts, bottle cages- 8.2 kg/18 lb

RoadWearier 03-31-24 12:48 PM

Interestingly my hybrid weighs 26 and change. That includes pedals, seat bag with spare tube patch kit, lights, two bottle holders and air pump.

smd4 03-31-24 01:09 PM

1989 Cinelli Supercorsa, 58 cm, two water bottle cages, full 7700 Dura Ace including 7400 pedals and clips, comes in at just under 21 pounds.

RCMoeur 03-31-24 01:28 PM

A friend of mine is proud of his 18 lb BMC carbon fiber bike. As he should be - it's a nice bike.

But I gently razz him because the backpack he carries on all his longer rides, with the toolkit and the 3/4 gallon hydration bladder, weighs about as much as his bike does. :)

delbiker1 03-31-24 01:30 PM

I have 5 bikes, weight without accessories runs from 17.2 lbs, Airborne Zeppelin titanium, Dura Ace 9000 components and C24 wheels; to 22 lbs. for my LeMond Poprad 853 steel, 6500 components and 32 spoke wheels with 32mm Gravel Kings. The Poprad gets heavier with the rear rack, basket, and medium large handlebar bag I have on it. The Zeppelin is about 19.5 lbs with a small saddlebag, small handlebar bag, and Zefal pump.Going from the Poprad to the Zeppelin is a huge difference in energy expended for miles and speed.

RCMoeur 03-31-24 01:48 PM

Back when I held a valid USCF license, a respectable racing bike was typically in the 20-22 lb range with toe clips, bottle cages, and a spare sewup under the saddle. As frame technology advanced, bikes dropped into the sub-20 range, but I noticed that many bikes advertised as being 15-16 lbs had the footnote "not including pedals" - apparently pedal weights could vary greatly depending on type, so that was their excuse justification for weighing without (although it's hard to get much speed on a pedal-deprived 16 lb bike). Saddle weights can vary a lot too, but they don't seem to omit those when weighing.

Four of my own bikes fall into the 20-30 lb range unloaded - the Raleigh Pro, the Bike Friday, the fixie, and the "alumispeedy" fast cruiser. Most of the others are in the 30-40 lb range unloaded, as they have baskets and racks to increase their capacity & utility. I also carry 10+ lb of bags, tools, water, locks, light batteries, etc. on a typical ride. Then there's the Schwinn cruiser and its steel fenders, internal-gear hub, and front & rear Wald baskets, which tips the scale at about 60 lbs unloaded - it ain't fast, but it provides an (ahem) quality workout on a per-mile basis. Plus regularly riding the less-light bikes makes me faster when I do get on one of the light bikes, so there's that. Everyone has their own preferences, and what balance they want to strike on bike + stuff weight.

CrimsonEclipse 03-31-24 01:57 PM

38 lb fat bike.

smd4 03-31-24 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by RCMoeur (Post 23200853)
Back when I held a valid USCF license, a respectable racing bike was typically in the 20-22 lb range with toe clips, bottle cages, and a spare sewup under the saddle. As frame technology advanced, bikes dropped into the sub-20 range, but I noticed that many bikes advertised as being 15-16 lbs had the footnote "not including pedals" - apparently pedal weights could vary greatly depending on type, so that was their excuse justification for weighing without (although it's hard to get much speed on a pedal-deprived 16 lb bike). Saddle weights can vary a lot too, but they don't seem to omit those when weighing.

Companies stopped including pedals (and their associated weight) on bikes when the number of pedal choices went through the roof—not to make lighter-sounding bikes. Although ultimately that was the result.

Wileyrat 03-31-24 03:49 PM

16.3 lb Ridley Fenix, 23.5 lb Team Fuji, 27 lb Marin Nail Trail 6.

They were all weighed with pedals and without bottles.

Maelochs 03-31-24 07:49 PM

My CF Wundebikes come in just under 17, my Fuji with extra everything is about 28, my Raleigh is about 28, the Cannondale tourer is about 30 ... mostly measured with lights, pedals, racks (where applicable,) cages, tools/tubes/pump .... but not with phone or computer (whichever I am using.)

In all cases, I deem the weight of my bikes to be "adequate."

Steel Charlie 04-01-24 07:50 AM

On the digital scale my three fave steels

Masi Team 3V 19.6lb

Specialized Allez Comp (cromo) 18.4lb
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...85eb0a2f87.jpg

Serotta Nova Special weight weenie 17.8lbs

base2 04-01-24 08:06 AM

Pretty much any bike under 25 pounds as ridden isn't going to do you wrong.

All size appropriate for a 6 foot me.
Cervelo R5 weighs 14 pounds
My steel disc Rodriguez weight-weenie build is 16
My steel disc Rodriguez touring/travel/commuter is "well North of 30." Probably 40-45 by the time I add panniers, weather gear and a lunch.
My 1974 Schwinn Varsity and my mountain bike clock in at 29.
My Soma Buena Vista is 19.

Weight is over rated for anything except hill climb competitions. What actually matters is proper fit and rolling resistance.

(I place aero largely under "fit" because the vast majority of CdA is the rider himself and not so much the bike as manufacturers would have you believe.)

The Chemist 04-01-24 08:07 AM

My titanium road bike is about 9.2kg without bottles and the toolkit / saddlebag that I carry on all rides, but including pedals.

My steel commuter / gravel bike is 15kg in commuter guise (including rack, fenders, and pannier), and around 12kg without rack, fenders, or bags.

Aardwolf 04-01-24 08:15 AM

1961 Holdsworth Cyclone 22"
on Mavic Monthlery Pro + Vittoria Rubino tubulars

10.66Kg (23.5 lbs) including bell/pump/saddle bag but no spares or tools.
That's light enough for me.

Jughed 04-01-24 08:31 AM

My Emonda ALR 5 (not stock) is 19#'s +/- fully dressed.
Steel Lemond is about 21+/-

The Lemond is a faster bike, lower front end, gets my body more aero... but the Emonda feels quicker, probably because of the lighter wheelset.

pdlamb 04-01-24 08:47 AM

I've weight two of mine, and I'm too chicken to weigh the heavier gravel bike (those tires are HEAVY!).

Novara Randonee touring bike weighed 28 pounds, IIRC.

Bilenky sport-touring bike with S&S couplers (weigh about 1.25 pound, AAUI) is 23 pounds.

Both weights are "as-ridden" with Brooks saddle; saddle pouch with multi-tool, spare tube, tire irons; two bottle cages; and cyclo-computer. The Randonee also has fenders, kickstand, dyno hub and lights, and racks.

SpeedyBlueBiker 04-01-24 09:00 AM

I have never weighed my road bikes when they are all kitted out with pedals, under seat bag with basic flat repair kit, two full water bottles plus cages. I probably don't want to know!

skidder 04-01-24 09:08 AM

I'd have to check, but the two multi-geared bicycles I built weigh in the 24-26 lb range. That includes pedals, a rack (seatpost mount or cheapie aluminum fixed rack on the back), bottle cages (no bottles). My SS weighs about 22 lbs, same accessories. None include the weight of a tool bag as I use the same one on each and just flip it from one to the other depending on which bicycle I'm riding that day (the reason for the racks on all bicycles). I'm more concerned with a bicycle's reliability than its weight; if I want to reduce weight the biggest benefit would be reducing my bodyweight. ;)

Steve B. 04-01-24 09:32 AM

Chinese carbon road bike with basic CXP33 wheels, 17.8 lbs.
Cannondale Topstone aluminum with road wheels and tires, 22.5 lbs
Specialized Epic Evo Comp, has AXS and Ibis carbon wheels, 26.6 lbs
Specialized Chisel Comp, XT Di2, Race Face carbon wheels, 25.5 lbs
Miyata City Liner lugged steel touring bike, with racks, 27 lbs

terrymorse 04-01-24 10:53 AM

Last time I weighed it, the scale read 14.9 lbs (6.76 kg).

That's including pedals, bottle cages, AirTag with mount, mounts for Garmin and lights (front and rear). No saddle bag, pump, Garmin, or lights.

Since taking the photo, I upgraded the wheels to Winspace Run HYPER, saving a "massive" 60 grams or so.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3ffe572e6.jpeg

Mtracer 04-01-24 11:32 PM

Domane SLR 7 tubeless with GP 5000 S TR and a few oz sealant, 2 bottle cages, 2 empty 24 oz bottles, Varia radar camera, Fly 12 front light camera, basic tools, mini-pump, TPU tube, CO2 and valve, all up 21.7 lbs.

The published weight for a smaller size 56 frame (I have A 60), sans pedals is 17.41 lbs.

Eric F 04-01-24 11:54 PM

My main 3…

Storck F.3 Platinum - 16 lbs
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...10eaedadf.jpeg

Niner RLT 9 RDO - 19.5 lbs
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...179f9cb81.jpeg

Trek Procaliber 9.9SL - 21 lbs
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f73464dc5.jpeg

George Mann 04-02-24 12:08 AM

My Raleigh Retroglide iE hybrid e-bike weighs 50 pounds without its battery pack, which I have stripped from its back rack.

I now ride it as a conventional bike.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...51c8a3197a.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bb7b886855.jpg

hsea17 04-02-24 03:18 AM

Giant Scr 8.6 Kg without pedals.
Scott Addict 7.46 Kg without Pedals.

Hsea17