Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Ebay Carbon Wheels (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235385)

spilot101 07-25-21 12:20 AM

Ebay Carbon Wheels

Howdy, any success stories with some ebay carbon wheels? Cheers

Ghazmh 07-25-21 04:11 AM

I’ve never heard of that brand wheels before.

spilot101 07-25-21 04:25 AM

Good point. I'm referring to the carbon wheels sold on ebay.com directly from China, generally in the $300-500 range... also known as the "Ebay Carbon Wheels" in some tight circles:D

shelbyfv 07-25-21 05:41 AM

Some leads

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd2029a350.png
Here's the latest I could find but you would do well to consider the source:twitchy: https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s...se-carbon.html

Koyote 07-25-21 10:32 AM

You get what you pay for.

redtires 07-25-21 02:49 PM

This guy...while also being entertaining gives a pretty thorough review after riding some for nearly 2K miles in the U.K., so not the nicest of riding conditions during the year...

Personally, for everyday riding, I wouldn't have too many issues giving them a shot. But I would do a little research on the seller(s). Some are MUCH better than others.

zatopek 07-25-21 05:34 PM

I have been impressed with a pair of Super Team 50 mm carbon fiber wheels I bought 3 years ago.

PeteHski 07-25-21 06:21 PM

There are plenty of success stories, but quality and quality control are the key things to consider. With a known brand you have a degree of certainty in both these aspects, whether good or bad depending on the brand!
Chinese stuff from ebay is likely to be much more of a lottery, but certain sellers seem to have gained a semi-reputable status. I think Weight Weenies has a guide to retailers. I certainly wouldn't go randomly buying cheap ebay wheels.

ericcox 07-25-21 06:32 PM

There's a thread on Superteams here. I had a set that worked fine. They were true, rolled well, and looked good on the bike. They are not as wide as most current, higher end wheels and are not officially tubeless compatible. I have a friend who has a set he uses regularly alongside some older zipps - he likes the way they feel. They also warrantied a set for him - sent him a replacement wheel.

I have a set of FFWDs on my current bike. They are wider, stiffer, and have better hubs, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another set of Superteams.

spilot101 07-25-21 06:36 PM

Yes, I was looking into Superteams but their width is mainly 23mm... I was looking for something in 25mm.

InvertedMP 07-25-21 06:41 PM

I bought Superteams as my first carbon wheels. They were ok. I have ENVE and FFWD now and I like them much more, and I am more confident riding them.

spilot101 07-26-21 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by redtires (Post 22157236)
This guy...while also being entertaining gives a pretty thorough review after riding some for nearly 2K miles in the U.K., so not the nicest of riding conditions during the year...

EBAY CARBON WHEELS revisited - 2800km review, did the risk pay off???!

Personally, for everyday riding, I wouldn't have too many issues giving them a shot. But I would do a little research on the seller(s). Some are MUCH better than others.

Yeah, I tried to track down this brand (last week) but that ebay seller no longer has the shop. So much mystery haha

spilot101 07-26-21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by ericcox (Post 22157463)
There's a thread on Superteams here. I had a set that worked fine. They were true, rolled well, and looked good on the bike. They are not as wide as most current, higher end wheels and are not officially tubeless compatible. I have a friend who has a set he uses regularly alongside some older zipps - he likes the way they feel. They also warrantied a set for him - sent him a replacement wheel.

I have a set of FFWDs on my current bike. They are wider, stiffer, and have better hubs, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another set of Superteams.

Great, thanks. I've alSo been looking at some Hunts... Heard good things about them

CrowSeph 07-26-21 05:29 AM

Just dont buy them , the quality control is not good as a normal branded one. You can have a lot of choice by looking on internet , just find a good brand and buy.
For example i own a prime component pair of wheelset , well they are not a pair of campagnolo or fulcrum but at least they were sold by wiggle or crc , basically i'ts a small brand (i think owned by them) that has quality control and a great support. CRC and Wiggle are two big shops , thats why i have the security that prime brand is not some cheap or problematic brand.
Also i noticed that brand in the last years became a lot popular , you should take a look and get your idea a lot away from china parts.

znomit 07-26-21 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by CrowSeph (Post 22157842)
CRC and Wiggle are two big shops

Two fronts to the same shop. And they are tiny compared to eBay.

Kimmo 07-26-21 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by znomit (Post 22157860)

eBay is one front to millions of shops.

pgjackson 07-26-21 08:21 AM

I am sure they are sufficient for a recreational rider, but I have no interest in supporting these Chines mushroom businesses. Seems like Amazon is flooded with inexpensive copy-cat products made by companies with names that are a random selection of letters or nonsensical words like YYCCOO or TBVECHI. There is no way to tell what you are actually getting.

PeteHski 07-26-21 09:00 AM

But Chain Reaction is a reputable bike retailer with Wiggle being a parent retailer covering other sports. eBay is not a bike retailer.

Seattle Forrest 07-26-21 11:31 AM

El Salvador is tiny compared to eBay.

msu2001la 07-26-21 11:53 AM

I have a set of Superteam branded rim brake 40mm carbon wheels that I bought on Amazon a few years ago. For $350 my expectations were very low, but so far... no problems.

I bought these because I needed a cheap set of wheels for an older bike, and they've been great for that purpose. Even if they exploded tomorrow (which seems unlikely), I feel like I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of them. I run 28mm road tires and 33mm CX tires on them.

The rear hub is ridiculously loud, if that matters.

msu2001la 07-26-21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 22158016)
I am sure they are sufficient for a recreational rider...

Bad news for all the pro riders out there reading BF that are contemplating buying cheap carbon wheels online, I guess.

CrowSeph 07-27-21 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 22157863)
eBay is one front to millions of shops.

yea that means millions of different wheels and producers.

BHG6 07-27-21 06:08 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...721f77b6b6.jpg

oris 07-27-21 10:57 AM

I've had two pairs of the eBay chinese wheels; one 38MM and the other 50MM in rim brake. Here's my anecdotal review.

For ~$350, they're a decent deal and are really what's expected for that price. I've taken them on some good climbs/descents but there's a lack of trust in them; particularly in the braking performance. However pulling the hubs apart, you can see the lack of precision in the manufacturing process. My main complaint is that they don't roll well; there always seems to be a drag or roughness to the bearings and hubs. I put some new bearings into the 50MM but they still don't ride as smooth as my alloy wheels (Cero AR30).

IMHO I'd put the money towards a nice set of alloy wheels or save up for carbon wheels from an established brand.

Kimmo 07-27-21 06:20 PM

If the rims braked decently, it might be worth lacing them up to proper hubs...

Maybe in a year or two they'll steal that tech