Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

genejockey 04-08-22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22465991)
Yeah, we had some halogen fixtures and had planned on going with LED of similar form factor, but going lower profile is appealing.

One thing we learned about LED fixtures is that LEDs lose brightness over time. We replaced a halogen fixture in the kitchen with an LED one. A few years later, we realize the light from it has grown quite dim. We go back to the store we bought it from and ask about replacements for the LED elements. "Not replaceable", they tell us, but we can buy the whole unit again. So we went to a different store and scratched that one off our list of Places To Shop, because really, a lighting store should friggin' TELL YOU that the fixture you're buying will need to be replaced.

SO, make sure any fixtures you spend significant scratch on have replaceable elements.

Mojo31 04-08-22 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22465984)
Wait - do you mean, question YOUR life choices, or MY life choices?

I question your choices as well. Helps me with my life decisions. 😜

ls01 04-08-22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22465940)
Anybody use those LED ribbons under their cabinets? I'm wondering how effective they are as task lighting... :foo:

a friend of mine did remind under the uppers and under the toe kicks on the lowers. They can be programed to change colors and pulsate. It's pretty cool. I believe it's on a motion detector also so it comes on automaticly.

genejockey 04-08-22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by mojo31 (Post 22466000)
i question your choices as well. Helps me with my life decisions. 😜

hey!

ls01 04-08-22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22465994)
I’ve never married. Oh well.

Don't worry, I took the hit for ya. #2timeloser

big john 04-08-22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22465909)
Y'all are making me question my life choices.

I've never even had a girlfriend who had a decent job. My ex was a pest control tech for a couple years and made more than you might think, but that's about it.
The current Mrs John worked for the school district for 16+ years and they forced her out a few months shy of eligibility for lifetime medical and other benefits. Her pension comes from the state PERS so that is intact.

Most of the women I have spent time with have been unemployed or minimum wage workers. Combine that with my pissant earnings for most of my career.

genejockey 04-08-22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22466007)
Don't worry, I took the hit for ya. #2timeloser

I joke that one of my sisters, who's been married and divorced 3 times, took the hit to bring the 6 of us up to the national average for divorce all on her own.

big john 04-08-22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22465992)
Winds in the 30s to 40s again today, so hiking activity completed. It was nice at river level out of the wind.

Is that near home? Nice place to hang out.

phrantic09 04-08-22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22465921)
That's a nice, carbon, 105 bike every two months. Ouch.

Or retiring at 67 instead of 55

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22465929)
I never begrudged my payments. After all, I had something to do with making them.

But just wait'll they go to college.

If the money actually went for their care, I wouldn’t care. Instead it pays for my ex’s vacation house in the Adirondacks. I feed them, clothe them, lay for their activities and they spend 50% of their time with me, but because NY laws are antiquated and make no account for joint custody when calculating support, I had to agree to a this % of income.

on the bright side, it could have been 2.5x this much so I have that going for me

big john 04-08-22 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22466019)
I joke that one of my sisters, who's been married and divorced 3 times, took the hit to bring the 6 of us up to the national average for divorce all on her own.

One of my sisters was married to her 5th husband the last time I heard. Haven't heard anything in at least 12 years so there may have been another by now.

Fun fact: all 3 of my sisters had husbands named John at one time or another.

Mojo31 04-08-22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22466022)
Is that near home? Nice place to hang out.

It is a nice place, buts it’s about 1.5 hours away.

There are some good swimming spots, but the water is still really cold.

There are actual dinosaur tracks fossilized in the river bed that you can see in the shallow areas.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/dinosaur-valley

seedsbelize2 04-08-22 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22465999)
One thing we learned about LED fixtures is that LEDs lose brightness over time. We replaced a halogen fixture in the kitchen with an LED one. A few years later, we realize the light from it has grown quite dim. We go back to the store we bought it from and ask about replacements for the LED elements. "Not replaceable", they tell us, but we can buy the whole unit again. So we went to a different store and scratched that one off our list of Places To Shop, because really, a lighting store should friggin' TELL YOU that the fixture you're buying will need to be replaced.

SO, make sure any fixtures you spend significant scratch on have replaceable elements.

Unless we're talking actual bulbs, every led fixture we've bought gets replaced in its entirety. No one told us in advance, of course. Must be one of those 'everybody knows that!'

bampilot06 04-08-22 04:22 PM

My yard looks like a train wreck this year. Weeds are out of control and the borders I installed two years ago are now coming up. My back deck has to be refinished and my daughters play ground needs to be something. I’m not sure any of that is going to get fixed this year.

seedsbelize2 04-08-22 04:23 PM

I got out for a spirited 12 mile ride at 77°A. When I arrived home I felt as good as this morning right after my workout. I think I have my answer. Dingdingdingdingding!

bampilot06 04-08-22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22466038)
I got out for a spirited 12 mile ride at 77°A. When I arrived home I felt as good as this morning right after my workout. I think I have my answer. Dingdingdingdingding!

So you have to do a 12 mile ride at 77 degrees?

Might be do able where you live on the daily I am not familiar with your client. Did you happen to check the barometric pressure? Important piece of information you don’t want to miss out on.

genejockey 04-08-22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22466033)
Unless we're talking actual bulbs, every led fixture we've bought gets replaced in its entirety. No one told us in advance, of course. Must be one of those 'everybody knows that!'

It varies. Some have replaceable elements, some don't.

Bah Humbug 04-08-22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22465994)
I’ve never married. Oh well.

Better that than marrying wrong. I nearly did that, long ago.

Koyote 04-08-22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22466025)
Or retiring at 67 instead of 55

If the money actually went for their care, I wouldn’t care. Instead it pays for my ex’s vacation house in the Adirondacks. I feed them, clothe them, lay for their activities and they spend 50% of their time with me, but because NY laws are antiquated and make no account for joint custody when calculating support, I had to agree to a this % of income.

on the bright side, it could have been 2.5x this much so I have that going for me

Yeah, there are some definite idiosyncrasies in those laws.

phrantic09 04-08-22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22466055)
Yeah, there are some definite idiosyncrasies in those laws.

Yup. Oh well, they have a good life and 4 parents who love them. That’s what’s important

bampilot06 04-08-22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22466041)
Better that than marrying wrong. I nearly did that, long ago.

You wouldn’t be a made man!

LesterOfPuppets 04-08-22 04:55 PM

A bald biker just walked out of Whole Foods with a bag of ice on his head. Really makes me wanna shave my head and get a bag of ice.

Mojo31 04-08-22 05:16 PM

Lplo

Velo Vol 04-08-22 05:16 PM

From the Inbox:

COTD

8 Apr 22

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c6cbbc449c.png

Velo Vol 04-08-22 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22466065)
A bald biker just walked out of Whole Foods with a bag of ice on his head. Really makes me wanna shave my head and get a bag of ice.

Here nature provides the ice, free of charge. #EndlessWinter

big john 04-08-22 05:29 PM

So the grapevine says that nobody is doing the remote ride tomorrow. I was invited to do a local ride with some friends, anyway, so I'll probably do that. I'm sure it will be a challenge.