Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

genejockey 06-29-22 07:52 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22558611)
Too many people in the Philly bike club are notoriously cheap. On more than one occasion I and a couple of others have supplemented tips.

One ride I used to lead every year went to a small lunch counter type place associated with a marina. A dozen people was a lunch rush for them, but they always gave us fast, friendly service and offered to fill our bottles with ice and water. I felt compelled to tell the group to make sure they tip well after I witnessed people cheaping out one year.

I've heard some folks don't tip, or tip very poorly, any place they don't expect to come back to, like if they're on vacation. When I was a busboy at a sit-down restaurant in Gettysburg one summer, I saw a table of 8 people who were there for hours, and left an ungodly mess (kids plastering food on every square inch within the range of their arms) and left a dollar tip.

BillyD 06-29-22 07:52 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22558535)
The leaves are starting to fall off the trees. Autumn has arrived. :(

https://i.imgur.com/NKoX5qa.gif

DougRNS 06-29-22 07:57 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22558470)
Today I saw a homeless(?) guy riding on a sidewalk with so much stuff on his back it may have weighed as much as I do.

I thought you were a fatty. Pretty soon we will weigh the same as you balloon up and I waste away eating broth and instant mashed potatoes.
#FormerlyMightyDoug

Velo Vol 06-29-22 07:59 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22558599)
Weíre lucky. We donít live in Knoxville.

You're missing out.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a388e78f20.png

DougRNS 06-29-22 08:00 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22558522)
I'm surprised they haven't made an electric bike for bikepacking and called it the eNomad.

goNad is better.

genejockey 06-29-22 08:03 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22558632)
goNad is better.

Ah, but that uses different letters.

Velo Vol 06-29-22 08:09 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22558628)
#FormerlyMightyDoug

It's a new season. Sad.

big john 06-29-22 08:11 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22558620)
When I was ute, I was climbing a tree and bumped my head into something more yielding than a branch. Then my head started itching so I reached up to scratch it and came back with 3-4 bald-faced hornets on my hand. I screamed, let go of my grip on the tree, fell to the ground and ran screaming for the kitchen door. I think I got off a lot lighter than I thought at the time, but for decades after I could still see a couple tiny red marks where the f***ers got me.

That chart lists bald-faced hornets similar to honey bees. I call B.S. I had one fly up the back of my shorts one time and it stung me on the glute. The pain was intense and quite startling. Like a honey bee times 10. It left a round welt the size of a silver dollar. This happened near Arcata, California. I don't think they live near L.A.

Mojo31 06-29-22 08:12 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22558623)
I've heard some folks don't tip, or tip very poorly, any place they don't expect to come back to, like if they're on vacation. When I was a busboy at a sit-down restaurant in Gettysburg one summer, I saw a table of 8 people who were there for hours, and left an ungodly mess (kids plastering food on every square inch within the range of their arms) and left a dollar tip.

Thats just wrong.

Velo Vol 06-29-22 08:29 PM

In Vancouver radio news:


Velo Vol 06-29-22 08:56 PM

This is the future rjones28 wants.


LesterOfPuppets 06-30-22 02:08 AM

PAOTD yellow edition
https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...Vw&oe=62C28C59

indyfabz 06-30-22 04:09 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22558620)
When I was ute, I was climbing a tree and bumped my head into something more yielding than a branch. Then my head started itching so I reached up to scratch it and came back with 3-4 bald-faced hornets on my hand. I screamed, let go of my grip on the tree, fell to the ground and ran screaming for the kitchen door. I think I got off a lot lighter than I thought at the time, but for decades after I could still see a couple tiny red marks where the f***ers got me.

Those things are nasty. During a long weekend tour a year or two ago I arrived back at my campsite. I was sitting at the picnic table having a snack when one fell out of the tree above me onto the table. It had a cicada in its clutches. It proceeded to rip the cicada in half and fly off with part of it.

I didnít know what it was at the time. Posted a photo of it. Canít remember which forum, but a member identified it for me. Looked it up on Google Images. He was correct.

seedsbelize2 06-30-22 04:49 AM

Wordle 6/6
brainfog

indyfabz 06-30-22 06:01 AM

Anyone using any of the current Giro road helmets? I have always liked how well Giro helmets ventilate. The Kask Mojito 3X I bought last year, despite being very comfortable, seems to have negative ventilation and needs to be demoted to commuting/errand duty.

rjones28 06-30-22 06:35 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22558673)

The future is now.


Velo Vol 06-30-22 06:48 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22558907)

No one is pretending that's a "bike."

rjones28 06-30-22 07:03 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22558918)
No one is pretending that's a "bike."

Northern Lights Motors does not pretend that their product is a bike.

rjones28 06-30-22 07:04 AM

It's more like an EV version of this.

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...017_main_l.jpg

datlas 06-30-22 07:17 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22558657)

That's a fantastic song, both in music and message.

Velo Vol 06-30-22 07:18 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22558931)
Northern Lights Motors does not pretend that their product is a bike.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...663493dbef.png

WhyFi 06-30-22 07:25 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22558657)

When I was a yut, one of the local radio stations looped R.E M.'s It's the End of the World as We Know It for a couple/few days, with no explanation. Turns out they'd been bought and came back with a modified format afterwards.

Mojo31 06-30-22 07:31 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22558907)

That thing is so friggin cool. For those that don't know, it has a fan that sucks it down to create downforce. Scary fast car.

big john 06-30-22 07:45 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22558959)
When I was a yut, one of the local radio stations looped R.E M.'s It's the End of the World as We Know It for a couple/few days, with no explanation. Turns out they'd been bought and came back with a modified format afterwards.

Something similar happened near here. A station played Creedence Clearwater's version of Heard it through the Grapevine continuously 24 hours. This went on for maybe months. No commercials, no talking, just Grapevine.

big john 06-30-22 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22558965)
That thing is so friggin cool. For those that don't know, it has a fan that sucks it down to create downforce. Scary fast car.

There was a car called the Chapparral in the 60s with that and they were driving around the Ford GTs and the fan was quickly banned.

The most unusual Chaparral was the 2J. On the chassis' sides bottom edges were articulated plastic skirts that sealed against the ground (a technology that would later appear in Formula One). Two fans adapted from a military tank engine were housed at the rear, driven by a single two-stroke twin-cylinder engine.[5] The car had a "skirt" made of Lexan extending to the ground on both sides, laterally on the back of the car, and laterally from just aft of the front wheels. It was integrated with the suspension system so the bottom of the skirt would maintain a distance of one inch from the ground regardless of g-forces or anomalies in the road surface. The skirting produced a zone within which the fans could create a vacuum producing downforce on the order of 1.25 to 1.50 g when the car was fully loaded (fuel, oil, coolant).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.