Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

CV-6 06-11-20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 21528951)
definitely on my short list of possibles... true to size?

Two sets. 26.5 and 27.1mm

Trevsears 06-12-20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21528762)
$16 each for new base tape. If you spring for that, you may as well spend another $20 to get the tubes replaced. Personally, I would buy new tires.

OK I’m convinced. For some reason I had only considered the binary option of keeping the old tyres or replacing with Vittoria Corsa G2 Graphene tyres at a cost of 140 EUR (I have them on my other bike and didn’t think of cheaper options).
Thx for the tip, don’t know what I was thinking trying to fix up 30 year old rubber anyway🙈

Trev

smontanaro 06-12-20 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21529318)
Two sets. 26.5 and 27.1mm

I've got them on a couple bikes right now. I won't run to the basement to pump them up and measure again :), but I've found them to run true-to-size as well. Vlaanderen are very well-constructed tires. They mount easily and roll well. No hops or wobbles. And then there's the ride...

Wileyone 06-12-20 06:05 AM

Mine measure to 28mm.

seedsbelize 06-12-20 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 21528100)
Also, keep your eyes and ears open to what tires (and to a lesser extent rims) mount easiest, This isn't like clinchers where too easy and you risk blow-offs. Once the glue is set, tightness doesn't matter.

I was just thinking that you could have a slightly smaller "rim" (maybe a clincher 26" rim). cut it in half, hand the tire from the top half hung on a hook, fit the bottom half onto the bottom of th etubular, and hand a (say 15#) weight from it. Let it sit in a dark closet a few months.

Caution, the above has had all the rational thought and review that was left over in my little brain while being primarily occupied with typing. But pre-stretching tubulars has been done for probably more than the past century, Not a new or untested. concept

Ben

The rims are Mavic Monthlery. I guess if I cant mount them, I could find somebody who can.

squirtdad 06-12-20 09:53 AM

I just got some Vittoria Corsa Control G+ in 30mm. Don't know if they are are on your short list. They are on rims at 100psi (max listed is 115 psi) and measure 30 mm They fit with 105 5800 brakes that say ok for 28 mm and fit with room on my 85 team miyata. the were easy to put on for stretching....much easier than the tufo's i had on a bike that has moved on and the challenge elites i have on another bike. mavid reflex CD rims with ultegra 6800 hubs.

seedsbelize 06-12-20 10:27 AM

Thanks for all the tips, whether directed at me or not. I would prefer to find tires in Mexico, even at half again the price. I am so far unable to find Vlaanderens. I have an inquiry in to an Ebay seller as to shipping here. Is Ebay a safe place to shop these days?

L134 06-12-20 10:51 AM

Best I can tell from Veloflex site, Vlaanderens are no longer in production. 🙁

CV-6 06-12-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by L134 (Post 21530083)

I believe you are correct. Which explains some of the really good prices in the last few months. Check around and you may find some. Lordgun.com had some as I am writing this.

L134 06-12-20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21530623)
I believe you are correct. Which explains some of the really good prices in the last few months. Check around and you may find some. Lordgun.com had some as I am writing this.

thanks! As of a few minutes ago, only 2 left. I decided instead to order 4 ProTour Gum Sidewall directly from Veloflex taking a chance I’ll love them as much as the Vlaanderens. With the four, I get free shipping which brings my per tire cost below what I’d be paying for those last 2 Vlaanderens. Oh, and that included a 10% discount code received for subscribing to their newsletter.

smontanaro 06-12-20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by L134 (Post 21530083)

Is there an obvious replacement? The only one I see which might be a replacement is the Pro Tour 28mm.

L134 06-12-20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 21530763)
Is there an obvious replacement? The only one I see which might be a replacement is the Pro Tour 28mm.

That was my conclusion. I just ordered 4 direct. I hope I'm not disappointed.

squirtdad 06-12-20 05:57 PM

I'm one of those guys who read instructions.....but Vittoria has confused me. on my new can of mastik it says put a coat on the rim and on the tire tape and then wait a day, putting another coat on the rim only, wait 3 to 5 minutes and mount the tire. the instructions that came with my vittoria tires say put glue on the tire and wait 30 to 60 minutes Then put glue on the rim and mount the tire. fairly different only consistent instruction is to wait 24hours before riding

thoughts and/or what have you done?

semroc 06-12-20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21530871)
I'm one of those guys who read instructions.....but Vittoria has confused me. on my new can of mastik it says put a coat on the rim and on the tire tape and then wait a day, putting another coat on the rim only, wait 3 to 5 minutes and mount the tire. the instructions that came with my vittoria tires say put glue on the tire and wait 30 to 60 minutes Then put glue on the rim and mount the tire. fairly different only consistent instruction is to wait 24hours before riding

The first way seems pretty good. I put glue on the rim, and tire. Let dry for 2 hours or more. Put glue on rim. Let dry ten minutes. Mount tire. Pump up to what I ride it to. Roll it around with a little pressure to seat it. Let it sit for a day. Then enjoy the ride, and seek out pave sectors. That's the way I've done it since 1988.

smontanaro 06-12-20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21530871)
... only consistent instruction is to wait 24hours before riding

First, stop reading directions. ;)

It's not just Vittoria I don't think. Everybody has their own special method of gluing tires. I expect the rest times matter less than the instructions would imply. Just make sure the glue gets plenty of time to harden after mounting and inflating the tires.

obrentharris 06-12-20 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21530032)
Thanks for all the tips, whether directed at me or not. I would prefer to find tires in Mexico, even at half again the price. I am so far unable to find Vlaanderens. I have an inquiry in to an Ebay seller as to shipping here. Is Ebay a safe place to shop these days?

I've been doing fine buying from ebay. But during these times shipping can be quite slow regardless of who the vendor is. I waited 3 weeks for an item from England, 5 weeks for an item from Italy. I'm going on 3 weeks now for some Vlaanderens from Germany.
Brent

smontanaro 06-13-20 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by L134 (Post 21530769)
That was my conclusion. I just ordered 4 direct. I hope I'm not disappointed.

I asked Veloflex and they responded that, yes, the Vlaanderen has been discontinued and that the 28mm ProTour is the best replacement. I would love to hear a ride report. I don't know how Veloflex marketed the Vlaanderen, but the ProTour is marketed as a "training" tire. I hope the casing and tread are similar between the two and that the ProTour doesn't sacrifice ride characteristics in the name of puncture resistance.

seedsbelize 06-13-20 11:03 AM

In my long affair with convincing myself that I want to try tubulars, I read an account by someone who said (s)he buys one nice tire per year. That felt like the way to go. For myself, I have almost convinced myself to start out with Yellow Jersey's 3/$50, just to see if I like the platform. Then if I like the platform, I can move forward with nicer tires. If I don't, I don't have hundreds of dollars invested.

DiabloScott 06-13-20 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21531829)
In my long affair with convincing myself that I want to try tubulars, I read an account by someone who said (s)he buys one nice tire per year. That felt like the way to go. For myself, I have almost convinced myself to start out with Yellow Jersey's 3/$50, just to see if I like the platform. Then if I like the platform, I can move forward with nicer tires. If I don't, I don't have hundreds of dollars invested.

I remember saying something like that - I ride my nice cobble-sewups starting about October and then when I get one flat, I switch to my clinchers for the rest of the season, that's my concession. But I have a whole drawer full of new Vittoria Pave's because they don't make them anymore, and I got a good deal on them, and I don't get that may flats, and my budget isn't really that tight. Plus... what the hell.

squirtdad 06-13-20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21531829)

consider this option........https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11561655.html i have them on my 84 team miyata and the ride is super (and they have removable valves so you can use seallant) and they are 25s why you ask did i not get repeat on my recent purchase.....didn't find them in a 27/28 (but since then is seem like the do make them in 27

seedsbelize 06-13-20 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21532315)
consider this option........https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11561655.html i have them on my 84 team miyata and the ride is super (and they have removable valves so you can use seallant) and they are 25s why you ask did i not get repeat on my recent purchase.....didn't find them in a 27/28 (but since then is seem like the do make them in 27

Thanks. Under consideration
Edit: It says they are in stock but the buy now button doesn't work.
Edit: Gone

seedsbelize 06-14-20 11:37 AM

So I'll keep on shopping, both there and here. She doesn't leave here til mid August. I am open to suggestions.

hazetguy 06-14-20 12:02 PM

you have to click on the tire size, and then the 'buy now' button works.

seedsbelize 06-14-20 09:38 PM

^^^^Thanks for that tip
Done
3/$100

squirtdad 06-15-20 09:30 AM

just glued my second set of tires on.......I followed vittoria's instructions for the first one and it when on but was a fiight, pretty sure I got the valve down and then went back to what yellow jersey as documentd.....this worked about 1000 % better

so for newbie gluers IMHO read this and follow and your will day....what is the big deal

Tubular Tire Mounting Cement Gluing Adhesion by Yellow Jersey; Thoughts on a Front Wheel