Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Are you a Shimano or a SRAM person? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177072)

NoWhammies 06-30-19 05:16 PM

Are you a Shimano or a SRAM person?

Your choice of two bikes. The bikes are identical in every way EXCEPT the groupset. One comes with SRAM, the other Shimano. What's your pick and why?

For me, I'd go for Shimano only because it's what I've always been riding with. Every bike I've ever owned has had Shimano components. It's what I know and what I'm comfortable with.

datlas 06-30-19 05:22 PM

No option for Campy? Sad!

Kimmo 06-30-19 05:35 PM

Electronic or mechanical?

I assume we're talking Red vs Dura-Ace.

I'll take Red in mechanical, Dura-Ace in Di2.

kansukee 06-30-19 06:07 PM

Neither.

tagaproject6 06-30-19 06:36 PM

Whatever's on sale.

Cyclist0108 06-30-19 06:53 PM

SRAM isn't so bad, except for their brakes and derailleurs.

rubiksoval 06-30-19 07:15 PM

Shimano. I like functioning front derailleurs.

delbiker1 06-30-19 07:21 PM

I usually buy things for my bikes when what I want or need is on sale somewhere. Ergo, I have a mix of Shimano and Sram on my bikes. However, I like Shimano derailleurs and brakes better. I have never had Campy anything.

colnago62 06-30-19 07:56 PM

Shimano for no better reason then I know how it works.

sdmc530 06-30-19 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21004913)

for the win! Shimano works.....I didn't have the same luck with SRAM. Never again...….

noodle soup 06-30-19 08:36 PM

How long until the SRAM fanboys chime in?

Seattle Forrest 06-30-19 08:59 PM

Shimano because I like being able to shift chain rings when I want to.

Also their hydraulic brifters aren't all bulbous.

sdmc530 06-30-19 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21005066)

All 3 of them :)

J/K folks!!!

DOS 06-30-19 09:27 PM

Shimano shifters and derailleurs, SRAM chains and cassettes and crank. I have a SRAM crank for the 30mm spindle (I didn't want to mess around with adaptors), and SRAM chains and cassettes are just better.. Don't let Shimano tell you you can use SRAM chains and cassettes, and the SRAM stuff is still better than Shimano even now that Shimano has master links.

TimothyH 06-30-19 09:33 PM

I'm just a guy.

Please don't tie my identity to a bicycle component manufacturing company.

-Tim-

DrIsotope 06-30-19 09:38 PM

We've got four bikes here: two with Shimano Ultegra, and two with SRAM Rival. They all function as intended. I can even go back and forth from one mfr. to the other without issue.

Kimmo 06-30-19 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21005066)

I'm pretty fond of the Yaw FD, and I've had no problems with my Red RD; it just works, using less material than Shimano.

If this was the MTB forum, this wouldn't even be a question. SRAM will continue to make sure Shimano doesn't rest on their laurels, and that's a good thing for all of us.

79pmooney 06-30-19 11:54 PM

I have SRAM 9 and 7-speed chains, one Shimano front derailleur, 2 pairs of Shimano dual pivot brakes and an pair of ancient Shimano canti brake. Shimano 600 semi-platforms on 3 bikes. A few Shimano quick releases and a couple of front hubs. 2 Shimano track cogs. And probably another item or two. This on 5 bikes.

Also represented: Campagnolo (rear derailleur, all my 9-speed rear hubs and cassettes, Mafac Racer brakes, Weinmann centerpull brakes, all my levers are now Tektro, all my fix gear chains are Izumi and the rest of my many cogs are EurAsian. All the rest of my derailleurs and all my shifters are SunTour. Freewheels are split between SRAM and Shimano.

SRAM gets my money for derailleur chains (they work, are regular wear items and are cheap). Many Shimano brakes are excellent as are the old 600 pedals, FWs and quick-releases. I will never buy a Shimano brifter in this lifetime as long as they stick with the brake lever shifting as that would be a crash waiting to happen for this guy. Hence I steer clear of Shimano rear hubs and cassettes.

Which company do I prefer? SunTour and Campagnolo. The best rear derailleurs I have used have all been SunTour and that one used Campy Mirage that shifts like a dream over a 53-42-28 x 12-28 9-speed. Never had good luck with Shimano RDs. The Dura Ace FD works flawlessly over that triple. (More elegantly but no better than the many SunTour FDs I've had over the decades.)

Ben

mattleegee 06-30-19 11:59 PM

SRAM! I would take Apex over DuraAce any day
unless its Di2 Shimano (which i love on my new bike)
just hate brifters overall
guess i like fluffy clouds

Dean V 07-01-19 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21004913)

Why do people keep going on about Sram front mechs?
Is there a problem with them? I know there used to be on the 10sp stuff but is there a problem with the current ones?
I have 2 bikes with it and the front shifting is excellent.
I am not a Sram "fanboy" and am happy to ride Shimano and Campag too.
Just saying what my experience has been.

xroadcharlie 07-01-19 01:47 AM

My 2018 Giant Sedona has low end Shimano Altus derailler's and cassette with a Suntour XCC crankset and SRAM twist grip shifters.

For a low end bike like this to shift this well under nearly every condition is almost a sin. I could have paid 2 - 3x what these bikes sell for and have no complaints with how quick and crisp it shifts.

It seems like Giant has got the perfect mix of components for thier entry level bikes. Perhaps that's what helped make them the largest bike manufacuer in the world.

So I would choose those same components again, Mostly Shimano given a choice.

But I don't usually get a choice, So it really doesn't matter. If I like a bike and it and it's major components get good reviews, I really don't care who makes them. I trust Giant, Trek, and other reputable brands to put together a combination that works well for the money.

CliffordK 07-01-19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21004736)
No option for Campy?

:thumb:

I suppose I haven't tried the SRAM double tap, but I'd choose Campagnolo first and Shimano second.

:foo:

Microshift?

Pirkaus 07-01-19 03:37 AM

I like fluffy clouds, and any property adjusted group set.

colnago62 07-01-19 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dean V (Post 21005235)
Is there a problem with them? I know there used to be on the 10sp stuff but is there a problem with the current ones?
I have 2 bikes with it and the front shifting is excellent.
I am not a Sram "fanboy" and am happy to ride Shimano and Campag too.
Just saying what my experience has been.

Sram also had issues with their 1st gen wirless front derailleur

rubiksoval 07-01-19 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dean V (Post 21005235)
Is there a problem with them?

Yeah.