Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Three in a row with parked and passing car (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1251328)

Daniel4 05-06-22 03:04 PM

Three in a row with parked and passing car

4 Attachment(s)
I'm sure this has happened to all of us. I just happen to remember it and that I had captured it on camera this time.

I'm riding along on a residential street. In front is a parked car. Right behind me is another car. I look over my shoulder and it appears that he had slowed down to let me in. And just as I proceed into the gap, he decides to pass me too making a three-in-a-row.

I guess, I should have signalled but I remember long ago when I did, the driver sped up not being able to tolerate a bicycle being in front. So it wouldn't have made a difference in this case.

Here are the screen captures. I tried to upload my short video clips but BF wanted some sort of security.

BobbyG 05-07-22 08:58 AM

I hate when that happens.

Steve B. 05-07-22 09:32 AM

Hand signal that you are moving left, then take the lane so they dont have room to pass.

Clyde1820 05-07-22 02:15 PM

Tougher situation, merely 30ft from an intersection where it's altogether likely cars would be following you into the side street.

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 22498390)
Hand signal that you are moving left, then take the lane so they dont have room to pass.

^ This, if possible.

Of, seeing as how in this case the turn onto the side street began passing that parked vehicle not ~30ft after the turn, I would think it'd be no problem (and safest) to simply head right into full occupancy of that single lane, effectively forcing any following car to behave itself and wait in that single lane for the lane to be clear.

Had there been no parked car right there, immediately after turning onto the side street, I'd have headed to the right-most ~5ft of the roadway where parked cars normally sit, allowing any trailing vehicle to pass me.

CliffordK 05-09-22 02:58 PM

I usually slow down and tuck in behind the parked car until it is clear, then signal and go.

Sometimes wave for the car behind me to pass.

GamblerGORD53 05-09-22 04:46 PM

That's a problem?? LOL.

Leisesturm 05-13-22 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 (Post 22500914)
That's a problem?? LOL.

Seriously. Anyone who can't tolerate being passed in that gap shouldn't be on the street. I don't know. Find a way to upload some video because those pictures aren't supporting a claim that this was a stressful situation. Looks like Paradise actually.

mcours2006 05-20-22 05:45 AM

The stills don't tell the story well. If you look ahead to the parked vehicle with the trailer you can see just how much room is between parked cars and the curb--not much. It's infuriating that the driver's need to pass the cyclist in an aggressive and often unsafe manner to save mere seconds supersedes the safety of the cyclist.

Bald Paul 05-20-22 07:31 AM

Be thankful there was no one in the Civic to open the door. With the dark tinted glass, sometimes you can't tell if there's a person inside.

Leisesturm 05-20-22 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 22513202)
The stills don't tell the story well. If you look ahead to the parked vehicle with the trailer you can see just how much room is between parked cars and the curb--not much. It's infuriating that the driver's need to pass the cyclist in an aggressive and often unsafe manner to save mere seconds supersedes the safety of the cyclist.

?? The parked car(s) are irrelevant. There should be very little space between the parked cars and the curb. The car in motion, that's where the action is. As I see it, there was just enough room for two cyclists riding abreast to squeeze between the car in motion and the parked one. While not NICE, it wasn't dangerous and the speed of the pass also matters. This is why I don't rant about every little close pass or aggressive or clueless action. Where would you stop?

mcours2006 05-20-22 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 22513456)
?? The parked car(s) are irrelevant. There should be very little space between the parked cars and the curb. The car in motion, that's where the action is. As I see it, there was just enough room for two cyclists riding abreast to squeeze between the car in motion and the parked one. While not NICE, it wasn't dangerous and the speed of the pass also matters. This is why I don't rant about every little close pass or aggressive or clueless action. Where would you stop?

You misunderstood. From the pic posted, I was referring to the space between the parked vehicle ahead and the LEFT curb.

Leisesturm 05-20-22 02:05 PM

I see. Well, speaking for myself, I would be making it easy for him to beat me to that next car. I mean, he is already in the process of passing me. I wouldn't stop, but that probably wouldn't be the time to do an acceleration drill. If he hadn't gone ahead by the time I reached it, I would assume he WANTS me to move over and go through first. There would be no squeeze in that situation. Fool me once ...