Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Is there a puncture-resistant tire that's suitable for triathlons? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1243272)

MyRedTrek 12-05-21 05:07 PM

Is there a puncture-resistant tire that's suitable for triathlons?

Is there such a thing as a highly puncture-resistant tire that's suitable for doing triathlons?

rivers 12-06-21 01:23 AM

I would probably run GP5000s if you want a balance between fast and decent puncture protection. I have had good luck with them on my summer bike. I have schwalbe Pro ones on my TT bike and am running those tubeless. No issues so far

TheKillerPenguin 12-06-21 07:25 PM

Agreed. I've had very good luck with GP5000.

hubcyclist 12-06-21 07:45 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c3d9ca2a9.jpeg
Lies, this tire is not puncture resistant lol

TheKillerPenguin 12-06-21 08:04 PM

Lol that'll buff right out

burnthesheep 12-07-21 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by MyRedTrek (Post 22329842)
Is there such a thing as a highly puncture-resistant tire that's suitable for doing triathlons?

FWIW, the modern theory over at Slowtwitch is that a road tubeless failure might delay you too much to fix in the race. So many still run clincher. This leaves you going with latex tubes and likely a GP5000. The GP5000 isn't just about the CRR but also the alleged aero of the profile of the tire.

A pretty standard tri tire setup is latex and GP5000's.

Oh, and don't even think about running Gators. Someone did the the math in the past on that and you literally save so much time with a GP5000 tire on a good length race you could flat a GP5000 and change the tube and still be faster than the Gator!

So, you're faster running a fast tire even if you flat the tire because they're soooo much faster.

ThermionicScott 12-07-21 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MyRedTrek (Post 22329842)

"Highly" puncture-resistant? Are punctures a frequent problem for you in triathlons, or just a fear? ;)

MyRedTrek 12-07-21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22331970)

Originally Posted by MyRedTrek View Post
"Highly" puncture-resistant? Are punctures a frequent problem for you in triathlons, or just a fear? ;)

It's not even for me - someone from another forum mentioned they have a lot of flats and it made me curious. 35c Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires have served me well on one of my hybrids but I don't know if the skinniest Schwalbe tires would be skinny enough or how their rolling resistance compares to a typical competition tire.

Doge 12-12-21 09:53 AM

To directly answer your OP question - I 3rd or 4th the GP5000. I ride the GP5000 (and have ridden many alternatives) - I don't race.

My kid did his 1st try this year in TX 2-3 months ago with about 500 competitors. He got the fastest bike time.
He went with the same ITT philosophy - If going for the win on a one-day event, use the fastest (everything) knowing there is an increased RISK of not achieving due to a mechanical.
Vs using more durable (GP5000), and guaranteed slower time.

Of course, the above depends on where you are expecting to place and what matters.
If you are totally expecting to dominate, or be beaten, a 3-4 place swing doesn't matter, just training, got no ride home/support - use the slower (GP5000) stuff. The GP5000 is still a fast tire.

StanSeven 12-12-21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 22331689)
FWIW, the modern theory over at Slowtwitch is that a road tubeless failure might delay you too much to fix in the race. So many still run clincher. This leaves you going with latex tubes and likely a GP5000. The GP5000 isn't just about the CRR but also the alleged aero of the profile of the tire.

A pretty standard tri tire setup is latex and GP5000's.

Oh, and don't even think about running Gators. Someone did the the math in the past on that and you literally save so much time with a GP5000 tire on a good length race you could flat a GP5000 and change the tube and still be faster than the Gator!

So, you're faster running a fast tire even if you flat the tire because they're soooo much faster.

My experience exactly. Practice changing flats too. You’ll be amazed how quickly you can do it.