Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Satori Serpent - Quick Seatpost Review - Saddle Setback (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1243419)

Moisture 12-08-21 10:56 AM

Satori Serpent - Quick Seatpost Review - Saddle Setback

I noticed on both of my mountain bikes that the stock seatpost (15mm) seatback, is about 9 or 10 mm too close to the handlebars for me. I looked around on Amazon and saw the Satori Serpent with 24mm setback for $40. Didn't even hesitate to hop onto that deal. I have had a great experience with the Satori Animaris Suspension seatpost in the past.

When I got the seatpost, I noticed it felt pretty light and the aluminum they chose was very well suited to the shocks and forces a typical seatpost would encounter. There are two sturdy 5mm bolts on each side of the saddle rails to keep things in place. You might also notice the "floating" saddle rail design. This is actually to help you precisely adjust saddle tilt.

I have only taken the bike out for a brief ride, but it felt like a significant improvement over the fancy Devox seatpost I had stock on my Felt Doctrine. The ride feels smoother / more controlled, easier to control how much weight you keep in the saddle when balancing yourself or changing power transfer, but most importantly, the added setback helped me centre the saddle in the middle of the markings on the rail. All in all, very happy yet again with Satori's products and glad to have found something which perfectly addressed my setback issue.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a438c6961.jpeg

shelbyfv 12-08-21 03:17 PM

Good thing you only tried a "brief" ride. A saddle tilted down like that would be unrideable for any significant distance. If you decide to venture further than around the block, fix the saddle.:thumb:

Badger6 12-08-21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Moisture (Post 22333279)
I noticed on both of my mountain bikes that the stock seatpost (15mm) seatback, is about 9 or 10 mm too close to the handlebars for me.

"Too close to the handlebars" is fixed with a different stem, assuming the seat is in the correct location in relationship the crankset. I've told you this before. Also, level the seat. That tilt is less extreme than some of the other pics of bikes you've posted, but get it level as a starting point.

badger1 12-08-21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Badger6 (Post 22333705)
"Too close to the handlebars" is fixed with a different stem, assuming the seat is in the correct location in relationship the crankset. I've told you this before. Also, level the seat. That tilt is less extreme than some of the other pics of bikes you've posted, but get it level as a starting point.

Don't bother. Seriously! Don't bother.:)

mprince 12-08-21 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moisture (Post 22333279)
I noticed on both of my mountain bikes that the stock seatpost (15mm) seatback, is about 9 or 10 mm too close to the handlebars for me. I looked around on Amazon and saw the Satori Serpent with 24mm setback for $40. Didn't even hesitate to hop onto that deal. I have had a great experience with the Satori Animaris Suspension seatpost in the past.

When I got the seatpost, I noticed it felt pretty light and the aluminum they chose was very well suited to the shocks and forces a typical seatpost would encounter. There are two sturdy 5mm bolts on each side of the saddle rails to keep things in place. You might also notice the "floating" saddle rail design. This is actually to help you precisely adjust saddle tilt.

I have only taken the bike out for a brief ride, but it felt like a significant improvement over the fancy Devox seatpost I had stock on my Felt Doctrine. The ride feels smoother / more controlled, easier to control how much weight you keep in the saddle when balancing yourself or changing power transfer, but most importantly, the added setback helped me centre the saddle in the middle of the markings on the rail. All in all, very happy yet again with Satori's products and glad to have found something which perfectly addressed my setback issue.

This is rich, get the :popcornout...

Carbonfiberboy 12-10-21 01:17 PM

This is similar to the Velo Orange seatpost line in that the tilt and setback are interrelated. Change one and the other also changes. Really frustrating. At least on the OP's post one can get at the bolts easily. I suspect that this post has 24mm setback only with a level saddle. What with the tilt and moving the clamp to the middle of the rails, I doubt that the saddle-to-stem distance has changed much. Here's my Velo Orange post:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8359c4dda2.jpg
Sorry 'bout the non-BF format photo in my wood shop/pain cave. With the saddle all the way back on the rails and the 30mm setback, I have both KOPS and good balance. Something to do with me or the bike, don't know. I wouldn't want to have a bigger bike with less exposed post - I don't have a lot of drop as it is. It's a 52 X 52.5 c-c.

Moisture 12-22-21 09:07 PM

Carbonfiberboy

​​​​Good point about how much setback the seatpost actually allows for with the tilt adjusted correctly. I finally got the saddle tilt dialed in correctly after angling the nose up slightly.

This seatpost is now my go two for my other two bikes, as they are all 27.2mm.

It seems as though I prefer the extra setback on practically all the bikes I ride. Stock 15mm just doesn't cut it for me and positions me awkwardly over the bottom bracket.

I can get away with it on some bikes by sliding the saddle further back on the rails, but with others such as my felt, I found myself riding with the saddle slid almost all the way back