Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Tech? Basics (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244613)

road195 01-03-22 07:02 PM

Tech? Basics

I want to ask opinions, on a basis computer. I am ready to graduate from a Garmin edge 25. I am a older rider so being able to see it with out cheater glasses is important. I also don’t want to have a IT degree to be able to use product. A dated item suggestion, instead of the latest and greatest would work. Thanks for your help. road195

Tourist in MSN 01-03-22 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by road195 (Post 22360654)
... I am a older rider so being able to see it with out cheater glasses is important....

It is pretty easy to find wrap around sunglasses that have a bifocal insert with a close up reading bifocal lens. Some use safety glasses for that. I got some at Readers.com, the model I got is no longer sold, was called the Bridgewater.

road195 01-03-22 09:09 PM

Thanks for your reply, I will check in on this. road195

Iride01 01-04-22 09:28 AM

I couldn't recommend any old used devices for you. All my old Garmin's from back as far as the early 2000's still work. Even one that was sunk and underwater for a week after hurricane Katrina. But you just never know when they are ready to give up the ghost. And a noobish to tech person trying to keep a device no longer supported or updated is probably not a great idea.

Just get a new device and don't worry about all the gee-whiz features that you don't want or don't understand. They all still do the basic stuff first and foremost. You don't have to use the features you don't want.

As for ....

I am a older rider so being able to see it with out cheater glasses is important.
Well, many of us are in that situation. I always had way better than 20/20 vision till I hit my 50's. However I've accepted that I need help with close up stuff and have found that bifocal safety glasses are great for riding. Look for them online and you can find plenty at cheap prices. Less than 10 dollars. So you won't worry if you drop them and they get run over. Unless perhaps you have another 40 miles to go and it's sunny.

I have both clear and tinted. Clear works great for nighttime or low light conditions and of course tinted for sun. You might have to try several brands and models to find some that have the diopter low enough to stay out of your normal line of vision.

Tourist in MSN 01-04-22 01:07 PM

Home Depot, some other hardware stores have a variety. Check their websites.

These ones are discontinued, but they are the ones that I like for daytime when not raining. I got two pair, gray and brown tints.
https://www.readers.com/bridgewater-...focal-sun.html

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22361167)
... bifocal safety glasses are great for riding. Look for them online and you can find plenty at cheap prices. Less than 10 dollars. So you won't worry if you drop them and they get run over. Unless perhaps you have another 40 miles to go and it's sunny.

I have both clear and tinted. Clear works great for nighttime or low light conditions and of course tinted for sun. ....

I prefer yellow for dark or rainy conditions over clear, I have tried clear too.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c35a5e570.jpg

Since my GPS is pretty close to my eyes when I am looking at it, I got stronger ones than I would normally use for other activities. I think mine are 2.5 strength. Touring, I am looking at the map on my GPS screen at times and it is a small screen.

Troul 01-04-22 03:49 PM

easiest & cheapest solution is to ride with someone that does all the tech management. Downside is that you'd have to put up with a person.

Bald Paul 01-07-22 06:15 PM

For glasses, I use these:

Bifocal Sunglasses For Sports or Casual Wear Style B33 (sunglassrage.com)

Seattle Forrest 01-07-22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by road195 (Post 22360654)
I want to ask opinions, on a basis computer. I am ready to graduate from a Garmin edge 25. I am a older rider so being able to see it with out cheater glasses is important. I also don’t want to have a IT degree to be able to use product. A dated item suggestion, instead of the latest and greatest would work. Thanks for your help. road195

What do you want it to do for you that your 25 isn't? People can offer better suggestions if they know what your priorities are.

road195 01-07-22 08:51 PM

Wonderful. question and after spending the last couple days, looking at Rainmaker, etc. My good old Garmin edge 25 seems priceless. I ride the vintage classic bikes also, and the basic miles in, cadence, speed seems to fit the bill. Riding further in my area with new roads, would test physical limits, distance instead of GPS. Reminds me when Grandpa took you hunting, HE had a compass, no other easy street devices. Thanks, search over! road195

road195 01-07-22 09:05 PM

Backing back up, one big take away with a bigger better, computer, that I forgot is when you go on a club, event, ride, century etc. Correct me if I am wrong,, but I could have the GPS routes saved?? And come back by myself and ride the route!! YES;; that I think would be a nice thing to learn ,understand and use. So what would be a modern, basic Garmin/Wahoo ?? name I am not blind, but I want to be able to read it,, Edge 25 is a little small; thanks road195

Bald Paul 01-08-22 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by road195 (Post 22365802)
Backing back up, one big take away with a bigger better, computer, that I forgot is when you go on a club, event, ride, century etc. Correct me if I am wrong,, but I could have the GPS routes saved?? And come back by myself and ride the route!! YES;; that I think would be a nice thing to learn ,understand and use. So what would be a modern, basic Garmin/Wahoo ?? name I am not blind, but I want to be able to read it,, Edge 25 is a little small; thanks road195

Have a look at the Garmin 130. It just happens to be on sale from Garmin.
Garmin Edge® 130 Plus | Bike GPS Computer

road195 01-08-22 08:31 AM

Thanks, Paul that looks like a good place to start! Best road195

Tourist in MSN 01-08-22 09:52 AM

For basics like saving a route that you ride so you can later redo the ride, that is pretty basic stuff. Some phone apps can do that assuming you have a smartphone. I do not know what the latest free apps are for that sort of thing, but I had an app on my phone over half a decade ago that I could record a route on it.

There are lots of basic GPS units, including non-cycling general recreation ones too. For bike touring I do not use a cycling specific GPS, I use one that uses AA batteries that I can recharge because I want to be able to use it for canoeing, backpacking, etc. I can do everything I need with that GPS that I can plug into my computer to transfer files to and from it.

I am intentionally not listing GPS models by name because there are dozens if not hundreds out there with that capability. I bought my first GPS two decades ago and it could record a track. Before you buy you might want to spend some quality time at a couple different camping stores talking to different sales people to find out what is out there for your needs and desires.