Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bad eBay experience today (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1219141)

sloar 12-08-20 08:06 PM

Bad eBay experience today

I watched an Ironman on eBay for 6 days. One bid at $75 with $100 shipping. Today was the day and I put a bid of $94 and won. I immediately payed and a few minutes later was reimbursed with a canceled sale. I questioned the seller and he stated it was no longer available , but I think it didn’t go for big bucks like he thought. I really hate how their is no integrity anymore. Rant over, thanks for listening.

noobinsf 12-08-20 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by sloar (Post 21824532)
I watched an Ironman on eBay for 6 days. One bid at $75 with $100 shipping. Today was the day and I put a bid of $94 and won. I immediately payed and a few minutes later was reimbursed with a canceled sale. I questioned the seller and he stated it was no longer available , but I think it didn’t go for big bucks like he thought. I really hate how their is no integrity anymore. Rant over, thanks for listening.

If it was an inexperienced seller, maybe he sold it locally and forgot to take down the listing. Did you check to see if it's cross listed on a local Craigslist or something like that?

I try to blame absentmindedness before blaming malice.

PilotFishBob 12-08-20 08:15 PM

I've had that happen a couple of times. Goes with the territory, I'm afraid. Sellers can only do things like that a couple of time before they get dinged by eBay, from my understanding, not that it's worth much.

B

plonz 12-08-20 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by noobinsf (Post 21824539)

I think we’ll go with malice this time. Unless he forgot to take down his CL AND eBay listings

https://joplin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...240129489.html

sloar 12-08-20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by plonz (Post 21824597)
I think we’ll go with malice this time. Unless he forgot to take down his CL AND eBay listings

Aha,thank you!

noobinsf 12-08-20 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by plonz (Post 21824597)

Score one more for 2020... Ugh...

cudak888 12-09-20 12:08 AM

Leave negative feedback.
When he relists, bid again.
When he cancels the sale again, leave negative feedback.
Rinse and repeat until the schmuck's falling DSR forces a decision.
Enjoy watching the seller play by policy the next time or watch as their username joins the club of opportunists who have gained a "no longer a registered user" badge.

-Kurt

randyjawa 12-09-20 12:58 AM

This happens all the time on Ebay. Just get past it and invest no more energy in the situation. I let this Legnano frame/fork set go for $38.00 CND ($29.70 US). I was tempted to cancel but integrity, once again, got in my way. Thirty bucks - geeze! That was the last time started an Ebay auction at one dollar...
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a3a57a67ba.jpg

RobbieTunes 12-09-20 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by noobinsf (Post 21824539)

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

RobbieTunes 12-09-20 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by randyjawa (Post 21824759)
This happens all the time on Ebay. Just get past it and invest no more energy in the situation. I let this Legnano frame/fork set go for $38.00 CND ($29.70 US). I was tempted to cancel but integrity, once again, got in my way. Thirty bucks - geeze! That was the last time started an Ebay auction at one dollar...

I would have gone at least $43.50.
If not more....

RobbieTunes 12-09-20 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by sloar (Post 21824642)
Aha,thank you!

I'll keep flagging him.

If he wasn't 3 hours away, I'd drive there with the promise of $400 and show up with $194.
There are other ways, but I hate handcuffs.

Spaghetti Legs 12-09-20 08:21 AM

Yeah, happens all the time. Once he learns his lesson, he’ll start employing shill bidders to drive the price up.

These types of things will raise my hackles but I try to move on quickly. People with a shortage of integrity that do these types of things IMO likely lead fairly miserable lives so I just leave them to it.

pcb 12-09-20 10:52 AM

In general, I feel like I'm better off not investing energy in dealing with shmucks. Which this seller appears to be. If the shmuck has somehow actually taken my moneys, then energy gets vigorously invested.

That said, I'd happily leave negative feedback if I could, including the fact that they're lying about item availability. Sellers can't leave neg feedback for buyers, so there's no risk to the buyer. I'm not sure you can leave negative feedback for a canceled sale, though?

"Says item not available, but on CL at higher price" Something like that? Just to get the word out to other potential bidders/buyers that the seller isn't trustworthy.

If I wanted to ignore my schmuck-investing rule and f around with them, it'd involve getting them to show up with the bike to ghost buyers, contact them with lots of scam offers, etc. But that'd involve burner phones and email accts. Sounds both kinda fun and not worth the energy at the same time.

cudak888 12-09-20 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 21824959)
I would have gone at least $43.50.
If not more....

Inaccurate pedals. $3.50.

:P

-Kurt

vintagebicycle 12-09-20 11:52 AM

I had a seller do the same thing to me last week, but when I went to leave feedback, it wouldn't let me because the transaction was cancelled. I think it depends on how the seller ends the sale.

The seller relisted the item nearly instantly but it got taken down in a matter of hours and now that seller is "No Longer a Registered User".
I had won a few things from them before, both times using Auction Sniper to bid. Both times I got a nasty message tossed in with the item noting their displeasure with the sale price. (I was the only bidder in both cases). The one package included a long letter saying how using an auction sniping tool was the same as theft because it didn't give him a chance to remove the item before I 'stole' it. The same seller had the same item both listed in a Buy it now listing and another in an auction format. It sold for a dollar less in the auction format with the same free shipping.

I've been buying on eBay for 20+ years now, most transactions were just fine, but its the handful of screwballs that really stand out when I look back. Most of the bad experiences have been of late, in the past few years. In the beginning, once eBay took hold in the late 90's it was great, it started downhill around 2008 or so and has slid into the mess it is now. with thousands of offshore sellers seemingly running the show.

Dylansbob 12-09-20 12:32 PM

There's a shop in NYC that always gets cool fixed gear frames that does that constantly. He'll sell the same frame or bike 4 or 5 times in 2 months. I've learned to recognize his backgrounds and not even look at his stuff anymore.

Ex Pres 12-09-20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by sloar (Post 21824642)
Aha,thank you!

Should we all e-mail him and offer $194.30 ?

billytwosheds 12-09-20 12:49 PM

I've been on both sides of this in the not-so-distant past.

Like Randy and pcb said, it's usually best to invest no more time into it.

And contrary to certain comments, I'm inclined to be cooler than usual unless malice is evident. We're in a pandemic and we should be good to each other when we can.

iab 12-09-20 01:00 PM

It doesn't stop amusing me. The rage for sellers asking a high price is equal the rage for sellers not wanting to accept a low ball.

blacknbluebikes 12-09-20 01:17 PM

I say it all the time.... "Pay peanuts, work with monkeys."

Catnap 12-09-20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dylansbob (Post 21825430)
There's a shop in NYC that always gets cool fixed gear frames that does that constantly. He'll sell the same frame or bike 4 or 5 times in 2 months. I've learned to recognize his backgrounds and not even look at his stuff anymore.

What's the name of the seller?

sloar 12-09-20 03:03 PM

I’m over it, I did leave a negative feedback and let him know that I saw the cl ad. I don’t really care about not getting the bike it’s just the way some people are that bothers me.

Narhay 12-09-20 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by randyjawa (Post 21824759)

I'd go at least $49 and I would have even picked up next time I am in the great white north.

nesteel 12-09-20 04:15 PM

It's not just Ebay. I've been through the same thing on this board more than once.

robertorolfo 12-09-20 04:39 PM

My brother, having never used Ebay in his life, ended up selling a cool vintage outboard motor for $1. His defense (to me telling him he was a doughnut) was that Ebay's directions suggested starting the bidding at 99 cents. Of course he honored the sale (and thought he was obligated to do so), and the buyer was actually pretty cool and gave him $100 when he came to pick it up.