Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Hello from California! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1237300)

Iron Bars 08-24-21 07:18 AM

Hello from California!

Hi guys,
Newbie from Santa Barbara reporting for duty! New to road bikes, but not new to cycling in general (commute by bike). My primary sport is Track and Field but I am getting into cycling to improve aerobic capacity without the pounding the track/roads. Last week, a good friend of mine (accomplished triathlete) cut me a nice deal on her very first bike (LeMond Buneos Aires, all stock (Ultegra set). No idea what year. Early 2000's perhaps?). I've promised myself and her that I will put in the miles to make myself worthy of this bike! I've never ridden a curved handlebar before (unfamiliar with terminology, know nothing about bikes in general!), so this is going to be a fun challenge!

10 Wheels 08-24-21 07:49 PM

Howdy from a Texas Road Rider.

Keep it Fun and you will Go Far.

2cam16 08-24-21 09:20 PM

Welcome and enjoy your road bike! (PS: they're called drop bars.:) )

Siu Blue Wind 08-24-21 09:23 PM

A hella huge hello from NorCal!!

andresh 08-24-21 10:52 PM

welcome!

diphthong 08-25-21 12:32 AM

howdy! that lemond buenos aires frame and ultegra components are a pretty solid combo. still regret selling my 2002 version.
super stable on fast descents. east camino cielo from san marcos pass to the junction with the gibraltar climb is arguably
my fave stretch of road in socal. if you want climbs, you've got gibraltar, toro canyon, old san marcos(osm)/painted cave
and refugio rd nearby (along with fig mountain, casitas pass and the ca hwy 33 climb). you've obviously got some flats handy. enjoy!

sean.hwy 08-25-21 01:25 AM

hello from norcal

Iron Bars 08-25-21 07:25 AM

10Wheels: Howdy! I have friends in the Beaumont area.

2cam16: Thank you, duly noted. :)

Siu Blue Wind, andresh and SeanHwy: Hello!

ooga-booga: I am intimately familiar with all the E.Camino climbs. Terrific views! I will attempt them once I get more comfortable riding for longer stretches.

Erider 08-30-21 04:35 PM

Hi from San Diego.

RedRockerRider 08-30-21 11:35 PM

Read Red

Originally Posted by Iron Bars (Post 22198116)
Hi guys,
Newbie from Santa Barbara reporting for duty! New to road bikes, but not new to cycling in general (commute by bike). My primary sport is Track and Field but I am getting into cycling to improve aerobic capacity without the pounding the track/roads. Last week, a good friend of mine (accomplished triathlete) cut me a nice deal on her very first bike (LeMond Buneos Aires, all stock (Ultegra set). No idea what year. Early 2000's perhaps?). I've promised myself and her that I will put in the miles to make myself worthy of this bike! I've never ridden a curved handlebar before (unfamiliar with terminology, know nothing about bikes in general!), so this is going to be a fun challenge!

hello 805 neighbor ... and all else ... any Gary Fisher /Sammy Hagar admirers ??? They did a bike called the “Red Rocker” in 1989... I decided to do a site regarding how rare it is ... let me know out there please if anyone has one wants to submit to this NON PROFIT WEBSITE .

nemrad 09-07-21 08:54 PM

Man my beloved Lemond Buenos Aires 1998 got dinged up in an accident a couple of months ago. Still can't part ways with its carcass. Hope you enjoy yours for a long time to come

Jgfox 09-10-21 04:14 PM

Welcome aboard!

caloso 09-10-21 04:35 PM

Welcome! We were in SB earlier this summer for a wedding. Looks like lots of great riding there. We didn't bring our bikes, but did a cruiser ride down on the beach path, and we ran the stairs at SBCC. Beautiful town.

frogman 09-11-21 11:10 AM

Welcome Iron Bars ! You will enjoy your roadbike. I live in Napa County and will be riding by the vineyards up to St Helena today. I like riding the curved drop bars.
Lots of different hand positions you can use. I spend most of the time on the upper flat portion rather than down in the drops. I think most roadies do. Not training to ride in the
Tour De France :lol: Spends some time adjusting your bike for a good fit.