Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

seedsbelize2 03-23-22 10:05 AM

I have once again stopped recording my rides. Unless I'm on the mtb and want to record the route. I have, however, gone back to ground coffee in the morning. Espresso in the french press. It's good to keep changing things up, if only to stay alert.

genejockey 03-23-22 10:07 AM


Originally Posted by maglia_grigia (Post 22447955)
Very much addicted at present.

Been flirting with road cycling for a few years and had an old bike that I got fixed up c. 2018. Did a few runs but nothing really stuck.

During lockdown I was at home with the kids during the day and managed to get a Wahoo Trainer on Ebay. Also got a 2nd hand basic Bianchi and sold my old bike.

I used the Wahoo for fitness and lord knows what kind of size I would have ballooned up to without it. However I rarely used my bike outdoors, preferring the convenience of a quick 20 or 30 minute spin to the hassle of getting changed and dodging traffic on the roads.

Well my exercise levels were ok - using the Wahoo 3 times most weeks - but my diet was not and despite a few crash diets to regain some control, my weight was often pushing 121kg (267 lbs) during much of 2021. I hated the thought of going out for a social occasion as I had so few clothes that fitted me and didn't want to go and buy new XXL stuff to wear. I had a big re-evaluation over Christmas period at the end of 2021 and realised I have to change my diet and lifestyle. Crash diets simply don't work long-term and after a few weeks I quickly go back to my old ways, and was even using exercise to justify eating whatever I wanted. I had to have a sustainable diet that I could stick to for ever and maintain a sensible calorie intake of between 1800 to 2500 calories each day.

Over Christmas I was using the Wahoo daily and realised via my Strava I was approaching 900km for the year. Not a lot, but this was built up with short lunchtime rides of 20 to 30 minutes I didn't quite make it to 900km, but finished the year strongly with some good rides. I set myself the realistic goal of cycling 2,000km throughout 2022. This could be managed by doing a 20 min cycle 5 times a week, so I would simply build up the habit of regular cycling and be disciplined enough not to miss too many days or fall behind.

Unfortunately we were away for the 1st and 2nd January without a bike, so fell a few KM behind. But I'm glad to say that by day 81 I am just about at the 800km mark! I have only missed a handful of days cycling (only 6 since the start of Feb) and am over 350km ahead of schedule for my 2000km target. I am now confident doing longer runs on the road and am getting out for a 30km or 40km cycle most weeks as well as a lot more outdoor cycling with the Wahoo only being used on wet weather days.

It's certainly frustrating when a guy clearly 20 years older than me nips past me on the road, but at this stage I am just happy getting miles accumulated and a bit of pace will come when my weight reduces. I have lost 10kg at this point (22 lbs). My initial target is another 11kg that will get me to 100kg - I'm certainly not out of the woods weight wise and bad habits diet wise can quickly creep back in. Longer term if I can really get the miles accumulated I would like to drop to 90kg. This would be the lightest I've been as an adult.

Strava

Kudos!

One thing about cycling is that there's always somebody on the road who's older than you, and someone who's younger; someone who's fatter than you, and someone who's thinner; someone who's slower than you, and someone who's faster.

I've made it my goal to be the 'older, fatter, faster' rider to as many riders as possible. But there are still older, fatter, faster riders than me!

Mojo31 03-23-22 10:23 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22448265)
Kudos!

One thing about cycling is that there's always somebody on the road who's older than you, and someone who's younger; someone who's fatter than you, and someone who's thinner; someone who's slower than you, and someone who's faster.

I've made it my goal to be the 'older, fatter, faster' rider to as many riders as possible. But there are still older, fatter, faster riders than me!

And then there is the Larry Sellerz category.

phrantic09 03-23-22 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22448166)
Negative. ATL, AUS, Windsorlocks, Albuquerque, Norfolk.

But I just dropped so trips so I will see what I can pick up.

Good olí HartfordÖ

abshipp 03-23-22 11:02 AM

Just listed the old Trek for sale. Seems like I'm totally divesting from the 650b thing for now.

Whenever I feel like I want to sell something a good test for me is to clean it really well. I'll know whether or not I really want to get rid of it after it's clean.

Kind of a hard one with that old thing, it's a lovely and pretty bike but at the end of the day it's just too big for me. Plus I think I've ridden it maybe 6 times in the last year.

I'm keeping the really hard to find drivetrain parts and rack though ;).

I'll have another bike like it in the future but for now a full suspension MTB is calling...

datlas 03-23-22 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22448086)
It's no longer a fad. It's now an addiction.

Do we need a sub-thread for Wordle?!?

datlas 03-23-22 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22448168)
Make sure you ride miles for those who canít.



Thats including me.

Mission accomplished

abshipp 03-23-22 11:06 AM

Also, rain all day on my day off.

Just like last Wednesday :notamused:

genejockey 03-23-22 11:19 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22448284)
And then there is the Larry Sellerz category.

Younger, fatter, barer?

genejockey 03-23-22 11:24 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22448354)
Also, rain all day on my day off.

Just like last Wednesday :notamused:

I half-heard the weather prediction for this week, and thought it was supposed to be a warming trend through the week.

Yesterday it was in the high 70s at riding time (5-7PM), but I had to get to work early for a meeting so I didn't load the bike and gear in the car. I figured I'd ride in the garage yesterday and then today would be another warm riding afternoon.

BZZZZTTTT!!! WRONG!!!!! High 50s/low 60s at riding time. But at least I did bring my stuff today.

Mojo31 03-23-22 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22448343)
Just listed the old Trek for sale. Seems like I'm totally divesting from the 650b thing for now.

Whenever I feel like I want to sell something a good test for me is to clean it really well. I'll know whether or not I really want to get rid of it after it's clean.

Kind of a hard one with that old thing, it's a lovely and pretty bike but at the end of the day it's just too big for me. Plus I think I've ridden it maybe 6 times in the last year.

I'm keeping the really hard to find drivetrain parts and rack though ;).

I'll have another bike like it in the future but for now a full suspension MTB is calling...

I'm the same way with cars. I get one all cleaned up and detailed, and think they look like new and I should keep it. Then I conclude that that makes it a good time to trade it in before it gets dirty again.

BillyD 03-23-22 12:30 PM

Tyreek Hill? Am I reading that right? I'm stunned. :eek:

indyfabz 03-23-22 01:02 PM

The businesses in the Reading Terminal Market that sell cheesesteaks were very busy at lunch time. With all the hotels close by, I'll bet it was the NCAA tournament crowd in town.

big john 03-23-22 01:04 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22448262)
I have once again stopped recording my rides. Unless I'm on the mtb and want to record the route. I have, however, gone back to ground coffee in the morning. Espresso in the french press. It's good to keep changing things up, if only to stay alert.

I stopped recording in about 2001. A lot of my rides are with groups or clubs so I know the mileage and usually the elevation. None of it really matters beyond curiosity.

big john 03-23-22 01:12 PM

3 hour solo ride today. A bug the size of a bee hit me in the teeth but my mouth wasn't open enough to ingest it. Managed to spit it out without tasting it or getting stung.

I like to climb this little canyon and take a snack break at a park there. It's twisty and narrow and a car wanted to pass me as I was descending. Fine, there was enough room but the driver went all the way into the other lane and a truck came up and surprised him. It was close, they almost hit head on. Glad they didn't.

LAJ 03-23-22 01:17 PM

Better

Wordle 277 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

WhyFi 03-23-22 01:19 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22448471)
Tyreek Hill? Am I reading that right? I'm stunned. :eek:

I'm thinking that teams are learning that "holy **** - the salary cap isn't a myth!" You've got Rodgers in GB and Mahomes in KC - both QBs have monster contracts. Now, both of their favorite targets have gone bye-bye for big paydays that their former teams couldn't shoulder.

phrantic09 03-23-22 01:24 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22448386)
I half-heard the weather prediction for this week, and thought it was supposed to be a warming trend through the week.

Yesterday it was in the high 70s at riding time (5-7PM), but I had to get to work early for a meeting so I didn't load the bike and gear in the car. I figured I'd ride in the garage yesterday and then today would be another warm riding afternoon.

BZZZZTTTT!!! WRONG!!!!! High 50s/low 60s at riding time. But at least I did bring my stuff today.

It was 25 and dark when I went out this morning, spring my ass!

Bah Humbug 03-23-22 01:38 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22448542)
I'm thinking that teams are learning that "holy **** - the salary cap isn't a myth!" You've got Rodgers in GB and Mahomes in KC - both QBs have monster contracts. Now, both of their favorite targets have gone bye-bye for big paydays that their former teams couldn't shoulder.

We are going to see exactly how much those monster QBs are worth, if they are still that valuable with lesser support.

Or everyone is thinking there are enough receivers coming out every year that they're comfortable rolling the dice on a rookie-contract receiver, like (they should) with RBs.

Bah Humbug 03-23-22 01:39 PM

Really stupid meeting I'm in right now.

WhyFi 03-23-22 01:56 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22448566)
We are going to see exactly how much those monster QBs are worth, if they are still that valuable with lesser support.

Yup.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22448566)
Or everyone is thinking there are enough receivers coming out every year that they're comfortable rolling the dice on a rookie-contract receiver, like (they should) with RBs.

I feel like getting a serviceable starting WR, let alone a legit #1, out of the draft is sooooo much tougher than an RB... Part of that may be the ********* WR development that I've seen with a run-heavy Vikings team for the last decade, but it sure feels like a lot of hyped WRs fall short of expectation.

....and then there's the late-round guys that blossom in to stars, like Tyreek and Diggs. :foo:​​​​​​​

datlas 03-23-22 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22448520)
I stopped recording in about 2001. A lot of my rides are with groups or clubs so I know the mileage and usually the elevation. None of it really matters beyond curiosity.

I still record mine on Strava but don’t pay much attention to the numbers other than maybe track my annual miles. I know some of my friends love to look at their power numbers and try to PR segments, ruminate over their (ugh!) average speed, etc. I suppose that’s their choice.

datlas 03-23-22 02:15 PM

Thread needs more cat pics. Jackie says hi.


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5fa00585d.jpeg

datlas 03-23-22 02:18 PM

One of my cycling friends who works for a large financial services company nearby (whose name starts with Van and ends with guard) is a couple years younger than me but announced his retirement which will happen at the end of the year. Given the state of our dysfunctional healthcare system and my desire to ride more and work less, I wish I could do the same. I am seriously considering dropping back to 3 days/week in the fall, which at least is a step in that direction.

DougRNS 03-23-22 02:20 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22448569)
Really stupid meeting I'm in right now.

most are.

big john 03-23-22 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22448598)
I still record mine on Strava but donít pay much attention to the numbers other than maybe track my annual miles. I know some of my friends love to look at their power numbers and try to PR segments, ruminate over their (ugh!) average speed, etc. I suppose thatís their choice.

One of my friends is a data junkie. I can ask about a segment, a climb, whatever and he can rattle off the stats. "Oh, that climb is 6.2 miles and gains 230 feet". That sort of thing. Or, "The last time I did that ride it took 5 hours and 30 minutes for an average speed of 18.6mph. Today we were a bit slower with an average of 16.2mph".

big john 03-23-22 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22448611)
most are.

Don't get me started.

LAJ 03-23-22 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22448566)
We are going to see exactly how much those monster QBs are worth, if they are still that valuable with lesser support.

Or everyone is thinking there are enough receivers coming out every year that they're comfortable rolling the dice on a rookie-contract receiver, like (they should) with RBs.

Denver is hanging their hat on Wilson. So far, the buzz is amazing, and he's working with the team in an unofficial capacity, and having a blast.

Mojo31 03-23-22 03:22 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22448607)
One of my cycling friends who works for a large financial services company nearby (whose name starts with Van and ends with guard) is a couple years younger than me but announced his retirement which will happen at the end of the year. Given the state of our dysfunctional healthcare system and my desire to ride more and work less, I wish I could do the same. I am seriously considering dropping back to 3 days/week in the fall, which at least is a step in that direction.

Guess you'll be in that Saturn another 40 years! ;)

Working toward a 4 day week myself.

BillyD 03-23-22 03:28 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22448542)
I'm thinking that teams are learning that "holy **** - the salary cap isn't a myth!" You've got Rodgers in GB and Mahomes in KC - both QBs have monster contracts. Now, both of their favorite targets have gone bye-bye for big paydays that their former teams couldn't shoulder.

I thought for sure Rodgers had gotten a guarantee Adams would stay, so I was really surprised when he bolted. But the Tyreek Hill thing is just jaw dropping. He is absolutely irreplaceable, one of a kind.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.