Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Shorts or bibs? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253787)

seedsbelize2 06-20-22 08:03 AM

Shorts or bibs?

I have been riding in street shorts for the past 20 years, To celebrate my 70th, I'm going back to lycra. I'd be interested in your take.
Thanks

tiger1964 06-20-22 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22547823)
I have been riding in street shorts for the past 20 years, To celebrate my 70th, I'm going back to lycra. I'd be interested in your take.
Thanks

I switched to bib shorts last year, very pleased with the results. Seems like I was always too thin, and the shorts slipped down, or too thick, and the shorts slipped down. Bib shorts cured all that. I do have a set or regular cycling shorts in fine shape and have discussed with my wife about her adding the straps so they do not go to waste.

alcjphil 06-20-22 09:35 AM

I wear bibs on the road and shorts in the woods when I mountain bike. On my gravel bike I am ambivalent

bikingshearer 06-20-22 09:37 AM

Bibs. They don't slide down so there is never any "plumber's butt." Since no waistband is needed to keep them up (more or less), they are less constricting in the waist.

The downside is that bathroom breaks are more complicated, especially going #2, but that really is not an issue on most rides and is a small price to pay for better function and comfort.

tiger1964 Just get some clip-on suspenders for your shorts. That works pretty well. I use this solution for my tights.

cinelliguy 06-20-22 09:38 AM

I have always worn bibs. That's my recommendation.

clubman 06-20-22 09:52 AM

I went to a bib last year and love it. So comfortable.

davester 06-20-22 09:57 AM

I've never even tried a bib and it's not clear to me why I would. Shorts slipping down?...I've never encountered that and I have a bunch of different brands of shorts.

delbiker1 06-20-22 10:03 AM

I switched to mostly bibs last year. They just stay in place better. I like ones that have almost to the knee length, or knickers. That is just for sun protection. I do still use shorts when I am just out for a casual, cruising kind of ride.

nlerner 06-20-22 10:04 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...184daff354.jpg

SwimmerMike 06-20-22 11:16 AM

I switched to bibs about 7 years ago. Would never go back. Definitely stays put and as @bikingshearer pointed out no plumbers crack or the other problem I've seen where a gap forms between the jersey and the shorts on the front when off the bike.

gugie 06-20-22 11:22 AM

Bibs are better, but I tour with shorts (see above) For Eroica type events I have a pair of wool shorts. They sag like crazy the longer I wear them, so I use suspenders with them, and wear thin wool t-shirts underneath the suspenders, jersey over.

bikingshearer 06-20-22 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 22547993)
I've never even tried a bib and it's not clear to me why I would. Shorts slipping down?...I've never encountered that and I have a bunch of different brands of shorts.

Well, Dave, we don't all have your picture-perfect physique. :D

steelbikeguy 06-20-22 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 22547993)

that's been my experience too.
Shorts have worked fine, no problems with slipping down, and definitely no problems with being too loose (that just means they aren't the correct size, right?)

Maybe I should say that I'm 6 feet tall and 155 pounds, and have a 31 inch waist. There is no excess abdomen to encourage the shorts to move down to the parts with a smaller circumference. I've been wearing bike shorts since they were made of wool, so that's about 40 years of experience.

Steve in Peoria

79pmooney 06-20-22 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by bikingshearer (Post 22547953)
Bibs. They don't slide down so there is never any "plumber's butt." Since no waistband is needed to keep them up (more or less), they are less constricting in the waist.

The downside is that bathroom breaks are more complicated, especially going #2, but that really is not an issue on most rides and is a small price to pay for better function and comfort.

tiger1964 Just get some clip-on suspenders for your shorts. That works pretty well. I use this solution for my tights.

The compromise I've been doing for 45 years that works so well I've never gone to bibs - clip-on suspenders. The advantages of both. Bathroom needs and clothing changes are barely more difficult than just shorts. Fit in critical areas is equal to or better than bibs. Yup - all straps stretch. With bibs you have to pull out needle and thread or settle for less than. Suspenders - simply move the buckle. And when buying, simply easier. All that matters is the shorts. Strap length is adjustable.

The place where suspenders really shine is on the week long ride of Cycle Oregon. All my #2 stops are in riding gear. 40 degree temperature changes in the am happen. Being able to pull shorts off, remove a long john and reassemble without pulling off several jerseys in the "blue room" mid ride - yeah!

DMC707 06-20-22 12:12 PM

Bibs for me

Im a clydesdale, and shorts will roll down under my belly

bamboobike4 06-20-22 12:29 PM

Metrics, Centuries and longer-bibs.
Less, shorts.

I find shorts more comfortable and convenient, and more durable.

I find some bibs get a bit transparent above the chamois in the rear, especially if there is a logo on that area. On Saturday’s century, it was pointed out to me that my Saxobank favorites were now in “full accountability mode.” I also find bibs rip.

My preference categories now start at the chamois, and after that, it’s a coin toss.

seedsbelize2 06-20-22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy (Post 22548138)
that's been my experience too.
Shorts have worked fine, no problems with slipping down, and definitely no problems with being too loose (that just means they aren't the correct size, right?)

Maybe I should say that I'm 6 feet tall and 155 pounds, and have a 31 inch waist. There is no excess abdomen to encourage the shorts to move down to the parts with a smaller circumference. I've been wearing bike shorts since they were made of wool, so that's about 40 years of experience.

Steve in Peoria

Good point. I have virtually no excess abdomen either. 5'11/175

rjhammett 06-20-22 02:34 PM

Shorts in hot weather and bibs in cool weather.

Atlas Shrugged 06-20-22 02:38 PM

Bibs

zandoval 06-20-22 02:58 PM

My biggest problem is my bike shorts rolling under my gut flap so I sew on suspenders to keep them up over my gut. Now that Bibs are finally getting more economical I would consider a few pairs...

stardognine 06-20-22 03:45 PM

Shorts, for me too. The only time I need suspenders, is when it's raining & cold, or snowing. Then I need them for my Gore-Tex snow pants, which always try sliding off, from the slippery bike shorts or pants. 😲
BTW, I'm 6'2" & down to 145 again. 😟 I've always been too thin, and eat like a hog, lol, wish I could gain a bit. 🙃🤨

iab 06-20-22 04:53 PM

The classic shorts versus bibs thread. One of many and it will give no answers. :thumb:

What would be productive for those giving an opinion would be, what are your top 2-3 brands to recommend? I find that worthwhile as my last purchase was Ibex 5 years ago. I do not believe the Ibex reboot includes shorts nor bibs.

gugie 06-20-22 05:12 PM

So it would appear that bibs work well for those who would benefit from a corset.

Funny thing is most pros seem to use them, and they don't need to suck their gut in...

nlerner 06-20-22 05:29 PM

Given that this is C&V, I'm aghast that knickers isn't an available option.

Drillium Dude 06-20-22 08:45 PM

Bears, beets, Battlestar Gallactica.

Bibs are best.

DD