Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recreational & Family (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Youth winter gloves (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1242647)

Wheels74 11-21-21 10:29 PM

Youth winter gloves

Hello everyone,

I have been buying fleece lined base layer tights, etc. Now, I am trying to find some good winter gloves for my 9 yr old son that are cycling specific. I would prefer cycling specific bc of the obvious issue of braking/shifting with normal winter gloves. I searched on here and didnt find anything, unfortunately. We live in the Baton Rouge, La area, so gloves that can handle down to 40 degrees would work.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Viich 11-22-21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wheels74 (Post 22316020)
Hello everyone,

I have been buying fleece lined base layer tights, etc. Now, I am trying to find some good winter gloves for my 9 yr old son that are cycling specific. I would prefer cycling specific bc of the obvious issue of braking/shifting with normal winter gloves. I searched on here and didnt find anything, unfortunately. We live in the Baton Rouge, La area, so gloves that can handle down to 40 degrees would work.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

I think just normal full-finger gloves should be fine at 5C as coldest temp? Can get some fingerless knit gloves to put over top if he's still cold.

Russ Roth 11-23-21 09:58 PM

Cambria bike usually has some good deals on gloves. For 40 degrees or warmer usually anything more windproof than insulated will be fine, riding keeps the circulation going to keep the fingers warm unless the wind can get to them. I only have fall weight gloves for everyone and haven't had a complaint even riding in 30 degree, below 30 we don't take them riding, not worth risking bronchitis

Viich 11-24-21 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth (Post 22318410)
Cambria bike usually has some good deals on gloves. For 40 degrees or warmer usually anything more windproof than insulated will be fine, riding keeps the circulation going to keep the fingers warm unless the wind can get to them. I only have fall weight gloves for everyone and haven't had a complaint even riding in 30 degree, below 30 we don't take them riding, not worth risking bronchitis

Unless there's an existing condition (asthma), I don't think riding in cold should be a concern. I certainly regularly ride at -20C. Generally you'll be riding easy anyway just based on risk of ice once you're below freezing.

Wheels74 11-29-21 08:21 AM

Thank you for the input. We went mtbing yesterday and he wore his fingerless gloves... it was 56degrees. Lol i dont think winter gloves are as important as I thought. If he mentions them, I will get some.

Thanks again.

Pinot_Pournot 10-26-22 12:03 PM

:thumb:

Pinot_Pournot 10-26-22 12:04 PM

:thumb::speedy: