Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Any latex-free sealants for tubeless tires? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=983270)

happyscientist 11-26-14 12:53 PM

Any latex-free sealants for tubeless tires?

Earlier this year I bought a bike that came with tubeless ready tires, and everyone keeps telling me that I should take advantage of them. However, no one that I have spoken to can name a latex-free sealant, and I am allergic to latex. I have tried two bike shops, which of course offered to fix my flats for a fee, and my friends have offered to take care of them for me, but no one has a suggestion, other than trashing my rims and tires or hiking, of what to do if I get a flat when I am riding alone.
Does anyone know of a product?

mdilthey 11-26-14 01:12 PM

Can you bring latex-free nitrile gloves to use when fixing flats? If the sealant is in your tire 99% of the time it shouldn't matter if you're allergic or not... right?

Wilfred Laurier 11-26-14 01:44 PM

Spare tube and pump?

Canker 11-27-14 12:22 AM

Bontrager
Bontrager offers two sealants to choose from: Sealsafe (for inner tubes) and Super Juice (for tubeless applications). The former is a homogenous glycol-based mixture, which Bontrager tells us will not separate and is good for the life of your inner tube.

Super Juice is a separate beast. Like Stan’s, CaffeLatex, or Slime Pro, it may be used for either tubeless or tubed applications. However, those are all latex-based, and Super Juice is glycol-based (similar to Flat Attack or standard Slime). It stands as the only glycol-based sealant on the market that is manufacturer-approved for road tubeless. For mountain bike applications, you must use it with a tubeless-ready or UST tire; it is not recommended for those who wish to use a non-tubeless tire set up in a tubeless fashion. It also does evaporate slowly over time, telling us that their unique mixture splits the difference somewhat between a latex and glycol sealant.

Both Bontrager sealant products require a removable valve core and can be injected straight from their narrow-tip bottles; or you can use a measuring injector (i.e. Stan’s) for more precise application.

Fred Smedley 11-27-14 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Canker (Post 17343651)
Bontrager
Bontrager offers two sealants to choose from: Sealsafe (for inner tubes) and Super Juice (for tubeless applications). The former is a homogenous glycol-based mixture, which Bontrager tells us will not separate and is good for the life of your inner tube.

Super Juice is a separate beast. Like Stan’s, CaffeLatex, or Slime Pro, it may be used for either tubeless or tubed applications. However, those are all latex-based, and Super Juice is glycol-based (similar to Flat Attack or standard Slime). It stands as the only glycol-based sealant on the market that is manufacturer-approved for road tubeless. For mountain bike applications, you must use it with a tubeless-ready or UST tire; it is not recommended for those who wish to use a non-tubeless tire set up in a tubeless fashion. It also does evaporate slowly over time, telling us that their unique mixture splits the difference somewhat between a latex and glycol sealant.

Both Bontrager sealant products require a removable valve core and can be injected straight from their narrow-tip bottles; or you can use a measuring injector (i.e. Stan’s) for more precise application.

I tried Sealsafe in Vittoria tubular trying to bypass the latex time clumping , it failed to seal in that application. I wonder how the Super Juice would fare?

Phlorida 11-27-14 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mdilthey (Post 17342123)
Can you bring latex-free nitrile gloves to use when fixing flats? If the sealant is in your tire 99% of the time it shouldn't matter if you're allergic or not... right?

When the tire punctures the sealant goes everywhere until the leak is plugged. I normally end up with sealant on my legs and I suspect that might trigger an allergic reaction.

happyscientist 11-28-14 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Phlorida (Post 17344288)
When the tire punctures the sealant goes everywhere until the leak is plugged. I normally end up with sealant on my legs and I suspect that might trigger an allergic reaction.

It would trigger a reaction, and my allergy is bad enough that I wouldn't want to handle the sealant without a dust mask, either. I will look into the Bontrager Super Juice. The tires are tubeless ready. Thanks.

Oldan Slo 11-28-14 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Canker (Post 17343651)
Bontrager

Here's the rest of the article:

Tire Sealants - Slowtwitch.com

StephenBrook 11-28-21 08:50 AM

Hi Happyscientist, how do you deal with the latex in the tyres? Have you found a latex free tyre? My wife is highly allergic to latex to the point where she can't go into a cycle store. We used to like cycling before an incident triggered her hypersensitivity.

BHG6 11-28-21 09:07 AM

Does synthetic latex cause the same allergic reaction as natural latex does? Not sure if it will help but, Continental Revo and Caffelatex both use synthetic latex....

Darth Lefty 11-28-21 05:08 PM

Non-latex tubeless sealants exist but usually don't seal as well because the latex is what coagulates to finally seal the hole. Without that the hole will keep seeping out the fluid (which is most often nontoxic antifreeze) forever. I googled up one brand (OKO) that claims to contain non-allergic latex but I really don't know what that means in context of latex allergy.

You always have the option to use tubes and avoid latex altogether.

"Latex" has different meanings. The latex in tubeless sealant is an emulsion (a milky liquid) of natural rubber that is not yet coagulated. It's the same kind of material sold in craft stores as mold builder and for making horror and sci fi movie makeup. The latex in, say, latex gloves is basically a dried paint layer of this stuff. It is coagulated but not vulcanized. Once rubber is vulcanized (as in tires and tubes) it's no longer latex. There are latex tubes but they are pretty rare. You won't buy one by accident.

prj71 11-30-21 09:48 AM

https://bikerumor.com/new-finish-lin...never-dry-out/

Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products - Tubeless Tire Sealant