Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

LAJ 03-15-22 01:37 PM


Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22440055)
I would stick with the carbon paste and make sure there's a good coating of it on the seat post before assembly. It won't hurt and may help to prevent slippage and make disassembly easier. I would trust it over using a standard grease on a carbon seatpost too.

I agree. Something like that is so easy do do with no downside.

LAJ 03-15-22 01:38 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22440112)
Update - Discount Tire fixed it for free.

Saved me $350. :bday:

Happy birthday indeed. I was honestly thinking that's an All Wheel Drive, and you weren't getting away with one tire.

Bah Humbug 03-15-22 01:41 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22440070)
Decision for the seatpost? Likely will reapply carbon paste since that worked well from previous. I honestly have not touched the seatpost in almost a decade and it came out ok.

If you mean decision on the build, I went with Ultegra R8000 mechanical groupset. I chose that because of cost and because the newer electric groupsets are a PITA to run with external wires and/or cannot be had with rim brakes.

Build, yes. I remember all the back-and-forth about external routing and all. R8000 is really nice.

Bah Humbug 03-15-22 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22440112)
Update - Discount Tire fixed it for free.

Saved me $350. :bday:

OTOH, when I got new tires on the GX they left one of the locking lugnuts finger-tight so it almost backed off by the end of my shakedown drive. And despite having the Road Force balancer they weren't balanced at all. Went with the local place I should have in the first place to redo the work because I wasn't going to trust them to touch my car again.

Glad they're working out for you, but something to be aware of.

datlas 03-15-22 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22440126)
Build, yes. I remember all the back-and-forth about external routing and all. R8000 is really nice.

Yup. I was kinda disappointed that the newly released/updated Di2 does not support rim brakes, so that pretty much sealed the deal.

The R8000 should be fine and is better than I need or deserve anyway. I am a lazy mechanic but should have the new build done and ready to ride by Mid-April. Pics to follow.

rjones28 03-15-22 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22440112)
Update - Discount Tire fixed it for free.

Saved me $350. :bday:

You should grab a gallon of milk at Whole Foods to celebrate.

Mojo31 03-15-22 01:55 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22440136)
OTOH, when I got new tires on the GX they left one of the locking lugnuts finger-tight so it almost backed off by the end of my shakedown drive. And despite having the Road Force balancer they weren't balanced at all. Went with the local place I should have in the first place to redo the work because I wasn't going to trust them to touch my car again.

Glad they're working out for you, but something to be aware of.

I took the wheel off the car and took it to DT. The shop I use is very local, and they know me and that I expect them to do a good job (tips to the workers help). I even take my own wheel weights for them to use! But, never hurts to check their work.

The car is currently on jack stands, and I'll put the wheel back on tonight. Then, the wife gets to drive it and keep an eye on the pressure for a while. If we end up with a loose lug bolt, then that's on me.

Mojo31 03-15-22 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22440141)
You should grab a gallon of milk at Whole Foods to celebrate.

Could, but I'm not a big milk drinker.

Maybe a trip to Total Wine though!

Mojo31 03-15-22 01:59 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22440120)
Happy birthday indeed. I was honestly thinking that's an All Wheel Drive, and you weren't getting away with one tire.

They were new enough that I would likely get away with just replacing that one, or at the most the front two. Since they're staggered, I can't put a front on the back or vice versa though.

rjones28 03-15-22 02:09 PM

Local shop posted this. Made me think of someone that hasn't posted here in a while.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7bddd13fe5.png

LesterOfPuppets 03-15-22 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22440146)
Could, but I'm not a big milk drinker.

Maybe a trip to Total Wine though!

They have vino at Whole Foods, at least the ones here.

indyfabz 03-15-22 02:38 PM

Got a copy of the receipt from Whole Foods. The first 3 items were mine. About $11 dollars of stuff, including the sandwich I remember buying for lunch that I ate by the Rodin Museum while doing the NYT crossword I got from the Wawa on the corner. The other two items were for the linguine and clam sauce I made for dinner.

Mojo31 03-15-22 02:43 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22440193)
Got a copy of the receipt from Whole Foods. The first 3 items were mine. About $11 dollars of stuff, including the sandwich I remember buying for lunch that I ate by the Rodin Museum while doing the NYT crossword I got from the Wawa on the corner. The other two items were for the linguine and clam sauce I made for dinner.

Well, what was the rest of it?

bampilot06 03-15-22 02:44 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22440157)
Local shop posted this. Made me think of someone that hasn't posted here in a while.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7bddd13fe5.png


I loved that movie as a kid but how would you know that?

Mojo31 03-15-22 02:44 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22440176)
They have vino at Whole Foods, at least the ones here.

I've never been to a Whole Foods. Total Wine carries all of the three essential food groups - wine, whisky and rum.

Mojo31 03-15-22 02:45 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22440157)
Local shop posted this. Made me think of someone that hasn't posted here in a while.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7bddd13fe5.png

Dibs on the GT3.

seedsbelize2 03-15-22 03:05 PM

5 km on foot. It wore me out. Nap completed.

ofajen 03-15-22 03:06 PM

Wordle 269 3/6

🟨⬛🟩⬛🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

If I get it in three, they are using the more common letters.

Otto

indyfabz 03-15-22 03:26 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22440198)
Well, what was the rest of it?

All sorts of stuff. Sounds like they may have been getting ready to entertain. Chips, Brie, sliced lunch meat, guacamole, sparkling cider, etc. And you might not believe it, but expensive Irish butter that I have seen in a case. IIRC, itís about twice as expensive as the Whole Foods brand. There was also some chocolate, which I donít even eat. Celery as well. And avocados.

The fact that my three items are first on the receipt indicates that the person after me got the benefit of my credit card. Iíll bet the cashier didnít close out my transaction. They have a lot of dim kids working there these days. Very few long-time employees like there were before Amazon took over. You used to see many people there for years. Now I see new faces every time I go.

big john 03-15-22 03:58 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22440248)
All sorts of stuff. Sounds like they may have been getting ready to entertain. Chips, Brie, sliced lunch meat, guacamole, sparkling cider, etc. And you might not believe it, but expensive Irish butter that I have seen in a case. IIRC, itís about twice as expensive as the Whole Foods brand. There was also some chocolate, which I donít even eat. Celery as well. And avocados.

The fact that my three items are first on the receipt indicates that the person after me got the benefit of my credit card. Iíll bet the cashier didnít close out my transaction. They have a lot of dim kids working there these days. Very few long-time employees like there were before Amazon took over. You used to see many people there for years. Now I see new faces every time I go.

Mrs. John was charged $99.99 for a head of garlic at the local market. She went back to the cashier before leaving the store and the cashier said the code was for lawn furniture.

Trsnrtr 03-15-22 04:23 PM

Lately, I swear that I heard my Propel begging to be let off of the trainer so I took it out on the road for the first time since November, maybe even before that. Hate to say it, but my Colnago beats it, hands down.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3708802d2.jpeg

big john 03-15-22 04:23 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22440136)
OTOH, when I got new tires on the GX they left one of the locking lugnuts finger-tight so it almost backed off by the end of my shakedown drive. And despite having the Road Force balancer they weren't balanced at all. Went with the local place I should have in the first place to redo the work because I wasn't going to trust them to touch my car again.

Glad they're working out for you, but something to be aware of.

I worked at a dealer where the brake mechanic had wheels come off 3 cars after he worked on them. A Corvette, then a motorhome, and finally an Astro van which was towed in with the wheel still on but damaged from being loose. The first 2 the wheels came all the way off. They fired him after the third one.

At the last dealer I saw a truck being brought up to the waiting customer and I noticed both rear wheels were wobbling. The guy who put the wheels on just started the lug nuts and never tightened them down. I had to go tell them not to give it to the customer right in front of him.

That was always one of my worst fears, that someone would crash because of something that I screwed up. Luckily it never happened.

big john 03-15-22 04:29 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22440311)
Hate to say it, but my Colnago beats it, hands down.

What are the differences?

genejockey 03-15-22 04:48 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22440311)
Lately, I swear that I heard my Propel begging to be let off of the trainer so I took it out on the road for the first time since November, maybe even before that. Hate to say it, but my Colnago beats it, hands down.

"There, are you happy now? Shut up and get back on the trainer!" :roflmao2:

genejockey 03-15-22 04:50 PM

We tried this before, and while it avoided the time change and accompanying misery, people weren't really all that happy waking up in full dark for months, and there were problems with school kids catching the bus in the dark.

(I'm trying to embed a tweet, but failing so here's a screen cap instead)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ce1f98a8d5.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.