Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

datlas 07-06-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22565703)
This is California. We don't do basements.

Bummer. We have one and could consider moving down there if it becomes necessary.

genejockey 07-06-22 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22565711)
Bummer. We have one and could consider moving down there if it becomes necessary.

I hope it's a nice basement, at least. Mom and Dad's had a tendency to flood, plus it was haunted by the ghost of a snapping turtle.

Mojo31 07-06-22 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22565678)
Every time I think, "no one can be that stupid", someone comes along and proves me wrong. Every. Time.

Don't have to look far: Found a bottle of vodka in a dumpster on a ride, you? - Bike Forums

datlas 07-06-22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22565775)
I hope it's a nice basement, at least. Mom and Dad's had a tendency to flood, plus it was haunted by the ghost of a snapping turtle.

It is nice. It’s cool in summer, reasonably warm in winter, has a bathroom with a stall shower, and lots of space. Our house is on a rise so never any flooding. The only downside is minimal natural light.

phrantic09 07-06-22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22565650)
While I didn't get the dusty pink cardigan, you'll all be thrilled to know that my wife and I stumbled upon a crazy sale at J Crew - a bunch of stuff was $5. Like, a lot of stuff.

I got two (!!!) different pink shorts (one light pink, the other coral), and two lightweight knit hoodies ($90 each, regular price). Total retail for our items was $600+. We paid ~$57 with tax :lol:

When we were down there in April we had a similar experience on warm clothes for the kids

MoAlpha 07-06-22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22565376)
The price tags for the rubbed salmon filets at the Whole Foods near my NJ office read “CONTAINS FISH”.

Reassuring.

SoSmellyAir 07-06-22 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22564699)
We had a good ride. 5 of us ended up with around 50 miles and I don't know the gain, I forgot to ask. We started with miles of bike path.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6f212eac03.jpg

This bike path looks smooth! Where is it? OC bike paths are smooth when flat but have deliberately rough rollers to slow people (e.g., me with my meagre power) down.

Trsnrtr 07-06-22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22565786)
It is nice. It’s cool in summer, reasonably warm in winter, has a bathroom with a stall shower, and lots of space. Our house is on a rise so never any flooding. The only downside is minimal natural light.

I could easily live in our basement. Like yours, it has all of the amenities for living like bedroom, full bath, large tv, computer, refrigerator, and espresso machine. :thumb:

Mojo31 07-06-22 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22565878)
I could easily live in our basement. Like yours, it has all of the amenities for living like bedroom, full bath, large tv, computer, refrigerator, and espresso machine. :thumb:

Could do the same upstairs since we have no basement. There is no kitchen up there though.

bampilot06 07-06-22 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22565708)
Thanks for giving the rest of us a chance. So far, so good.

I do what I can. Not sure what’s worse, riding in the rain or riding in the humidity here. Both leave you wet in places I didn’t know could get wet.

bampilot06 07-06-22 03:56 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...556cf9558.jpeg

Coffee stop on todays ride. I would have gotten a picture of the coffee, but Whyfi finished his while my ice coffee didn’t fill itself.

There’s a story there but not worth telling.

LesterOfPuppets 07-06-22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22565899)
Coffee stop on todays ride. I would have gotten a picture of the coffee, but Whyfi finished his while my ice coffee didn’t fill itself.

There’s a story there but not worth telling.

My coffee stop today. No coffee pics here either. I drank hot coffee like a man, however. :)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a86cabf921.jpg

genejockey 07-06-22 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22565862)
Reassuring.

Indeed. What if it had said, "Does Not Contain Fish"?

BillyD 07-06-22 04:06 PM

My basement is the pits, it's the one thing I hate the most about this house. After near flood damage from hurricanes Irene and Ida, it now gets wet from just mild showers. Like last night for example.

On top of that it's too short for me to fully stand up in, so back pain is inevitable if I have to be in there more than a couple minutes. In the warm weather have to constantly run the dehumidifier to keep the moisture level and spiders down. Did I mention I hate this basement? :mad:

big john 07-06-22 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22565703)
This is California. We don't do basements.

Here in La La land they loosened the restrictions on converting garages to residential units and building second homes on lots where there was only one. Several second houses have sprung up near me and the noisy neighbor on one side is converting an old, tiny garage to a living unit.

One problem is parking. They already have 5 cars and these houses only have parking for 1 in the street and the driveways are narrow. The house next door to them has 6 cars, the one across has 5.

bampilot06 07-06-22 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22565915)
My coffee stop today. No coffee pics here either. I drank hot coffee like a man, however. :)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a86cabf921.jpg

:roflmao:

Fake laugh to hide real tears.

big john 07-06-22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22565872)
This bike path looks smooth! Where is it? OC bike paths are smooth when flat but have deliberately rough rollers to slow people (e.g., me with my meagre power) down.

Santa Clarita. There is a network of paths which you can use to get around the area. The best I've ever seen. You can spin around for hours without dealing with cars and it's usually free of knuckleheads.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d6881f63db.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a2ba9719b.jpg

genejockey 07-06-22 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22565923)
Here in La La land they loosened the restrictions on converting garages to residential units and building second homes on lots where there was only one. Several second houses have sprung up near me and the noisy neighbor on one side is converting an old, tiny garage to a living unit.

One problem is parking. They already have 5 cars and these houses only have parking for 1 in the street and the driveways are narrow. The house next door to them has 6 cars, the one across has 5.

There's an apartment complex in our Post-War development, with all the spaces that were needed for 1946, what with the complex being close to the commuter rail line and the shopping center, which had a Sears and a supermarket. SO nowadays that means all the streets around the complex are parked solid all the time, and about half a block beyond it.

Eric F 07-06-22 04:28 PM

Watching the recap of today's TdF stage on YouTube with auto-generated captions. Pre-wash Rutledge is apparently the leader of the Jumbo-Visma team.

genejockey 07-06-22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22565947)
Watching the recap of today's TdF stage on YouTube with auto-generated captions. Pre-wash Rutledge is apparently the leader of the Jumbo-Visma team.

Pre-wash saves so much time with Rutledges, so you don't have to put all that effort into breaking them in.

SoSmellyAir 07-06-22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22565930)
Santa Clarita. There is a network of paths which you can use to get around the area. The best I've ever seen. You can spin around for hours without dealing with cars and it's usually free of knuckleheads.

Nice! Speaking of knuckleheads, I see at least one per ride on illegal e-bikes and e-unicycles: Amazon.com : INMOTION V11 Electric Unicycle, Off-Road One Wheel Adult Unicycle Self-Balancing Unicycle 18-inch One-Wheel with Built-in Air Suspension 2200W Powerful Motor & 31mph Max Speed : Sports & Outdoors.

abshipp 07-06-22 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22565282)
What kind of plane is that?

1946 Piper J-3

No electrical system, hand start, ~95hp 200ci 4cyl.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25e544530.jpeg

Eric F 07-06-22 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22565963)
Pre-wash saves so much time with Rutledges, so you don't have to put all that effort into breaking them in.

While you're busy pre-washing Rutledges, I'm stuck over here with Today Piggy-char.

big john 07-06-22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22565976)
While you're busy pre-washing Rutledges, I'm stuck over here with Today Piggy-char.

I was wondering how his name was pronounced.

big john 07-06-22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22565936)
There's an apartment complex in our Post-War development, with all the spaces that were needed for 1946, what with the complex being close to the commuter rail line and the shopping center, which had a Sears and a supermarket. SO nowadays that means all the streets around the complex are parked solid all the time, and about half a block beyond it.

Mrs John parks in the street and rarely uses her car. When she does, someone might park in her spot so she has to park in the driveway behind my car sticking out into the street. The next street over they have resorted to parking perpendicular to the street.