Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LAJ 04-06-20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21404379)
we lost a 3 rd person. I just met the guy 3 weeks ago. He passed on friday.

Damn

ls01 04-06-20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21404253)
Not even close to ******y. Very nice.

Too nice...

LesterOfPuppets 04-06-20 07:13 PM

Holy cow!!

LAJ 04-06-20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21404354)
Hey MoAlpha the hospital's CMO wants me to be part of the CTO team. Stands for "Crisis Triage Officer" team. Has a nicer ring than "death panel," but that's kinda what it is. Only need to serve if things get really bad, which I am hoping is unlikely but possible. I am honored for them to ask me, but it's not an easy decision.

Any thoughts?

I would trust your judgement in a heartbeat, especially relating to matters such as that. Searching their wallet for a Saturn Club of America card is likely a no-go, so no decisions based upon that. That will make it a bit tougher.

LAJ 04-06-20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21404391)
Too nice...

Agree, but this is Doctor datlas, so that's about as angry as you're going to see.

ls01 04-06-20 07:19 PM

My foreman called me today to ask if I have a thermometer."no... why no I dont". So the company is sending me one. And now I get to phone in my temp readings every morning@ 6;30am . They mean well but there not the brightest lot.

ls01 04-06-20 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21404402)
Agree, but this is Doctor datlas, so that's about as angry as you're going to see.

I know that's why I wasnt afraid to say it, lol

Just kidding doc.

Velo Vol 04-06-20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21404360)
I was surprised by the amount of traffic that was out today. I was getting passed pretty consistently in areas where I rarely see a car. The new danger is pedestrians who seem to have no instinct at all on where to walk in the road and even when they see you coming continue to walk into your path.

I thought this yesterday, granted it was a sunny 78F afternoon.

I did not see anyone walking on the road.

kissTheApex 04-06-20 07:25 PM

sigh. :(

Velo Vol 04-06-20 07:26 PM

Sad reflection of the times.

MoAlpha 04-06-20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21404349)
I was surprised there was no MD
​or whatever set of letters datlas has. :)

It can feel pretentious and if there's anything our @datlas isn't, that's it.

ls01 04-06-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21404180)
Thanks. Got a voicemail. He’s doing fine but they saw some stuff on the X-ray. Can’t tell if it’s grit or stones. The latter may require surgery. A ($200) ultrasound may be able to tell the difference. They will call again tomorrow.

We're pulling for him.

Pirkaus 04-06-20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21404203)
Here is a cut/paste of my email. I hope it's strong enough without making me seem like a French shower.
-----

Dear Mr Roberts:

I would like to bring to your attention (or to your designee) an unfortunate situation that occurred today, April 6, 2020.

I was riding my bicycle on Atwater Drive near the intersection of Atwater Drive and Quarry Point Rd in Malvern, Pa at precisely 4:15PM. The posted speed limit is 15MPH, and I was riding at about this speed. One of your “Comcast” repair vans was behind me, and overtook/passed me in a VERY unsafe manner, it came within a few inches of hitting me. That’s despite me going the 15MPH speed limit. So not only did the driver pass me dangerously, but also clearly went well over the posted speed limit in doing so.

I do want to apologize to the driver of the van for my loud and angry response. It was a very scary and emotional moment for me, so I did hurl a loud verbal insult. I raised my voice so I do expect the driver heard me. I am sorry about my language.

Nevertheless, he/she drove in a VERY unsafe and dangerous manner which was very upsetting to me. The state law requires a driver give a 4 foot berth when passing a cyclist.

My hope is that my apology gets passed on to the driver, but also that it stimulates a “teachable moment” not only to your driver as an individual, but also to your entire fleet. We all must share the road as safely as possible. I don’t want the driver to get any type of punishment or reprimand, but a gentle reminder would be appreciated. I am sure the driver saw me as I was wearing a very high-visibility yellow/black jersey and also had a bright rear blinking light.

Regards,

Douglas Atlas
Malvern PA

Way more gentlemanly than I would have been. I guess I need more angry management therapy apparently. :mad:
My string of expletives would have been much longer, and the sensor would never allow any semblance of them here.

ls01 04-06-20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21404419)

so, no quarantine prior to this?

MoAlpha 04-06-20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21404354)
Hey MoAlpha the hospital's CMO wants me to be part of the CTO team. Stands for "Crisis Triage Officer" team. Has a nicer ring than "death panel," but that's kinda what it is. Only need to serve if things get really bad, which I am hoping is unlikely but possible. I am honored for them to ask me, but it's not an easy decision.

Any thoughts?

Take up the burden and serve! You may be deeply disturbed, traumatized, but it's something few others could or would do and if, God forbid, you have to do it, the experience will give you wisdom and insight you might never have otherwise. You will also have my deepest respect.

BTW mentions don't seem to ping the mentionee anymore.

MoAlpha 04-06-20 07:58 PM

Oh, no!

LesterOfPuppets 04-06-20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21404453)

Meetup was slow to advise against gathering also. They just sent something out over the weekend suggesting that all meetup events should be online only until further notice.

Velo Vol 04-06-20 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21404453)

I have no idea how a Peloton class works, other than what was shown on the commercial.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6700fd9220.jpg

rjones28 04-06-20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21403974)
What is happening?

I've become an artifact of history.

Old and busted.

seedsbelize 04-06-20 09:16 PM

Wow. It has yet to become 'real' for us living here.

rjones28 04-06-20 09:19 PM

:(

Velo Vol 04-06-20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21404550)
Old and busted.

My cycling world peaked in 2009.

Sad.

Velo Vol 04-06-20 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21404289)
Well, I guess I should send out another round of resumés. Gonna get too hot here any day now.

Good time to get out of there.

Heathpack 04-06-20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21404203)
Here is a cut/paste of my email. I hope it's strong enough without making me seem like a French shower.
-----

Dear Mr Roberts:

I would like to bring to your attention (or to your designee) an unfortunate situation that occurred today, April 6, 2020.

I was riding my bicycle on Atwater Drive near the intersection of Atwater Drive and Quarry Point Rd in Malvern, Pa at precisely 4:15PM. The posted speed limit is 15MPH, and I was riding at about this speed. One of your “Comcast” repair vans was behind me, and overtook/passed me in a VERY unsafe manner, it came within a few inches of hitting me. That’s despite me going the 15MPH speed limit. So not only did the driver pass me dangerously, but also clearly went well over the posted speed limit in doing so.

I do want to apologize to the driver of the van for my loud and angry response. It was a very scary and emotional moment for me, so I did hurl a loud verbal insult. I raised my voice so I do expect the driver heard me. I am sorry about my language.

Nevertheless, he/she drove in a VERY unsafe and dangerous manner which was very upsetting to me. The state law requires a driver give a 4 foot berth when passing a cyclist.

My hope is that my apology gets passed on to the driver, but also that it stimulates a “teachable moment” not only to your driver as an individual, but also to your entire fleet. We all must share the road as safely as possible. I don’t want the driver to get any type of punishment or reprimand, but a gentle reminder would be appreciated. I am sure the driver saw me as I was wearing a very high-visibility yellow/black jersey and also had a bright rear blinking light.

Regards,

Douglas Atlas
Malvern PA

too nice

Heathpack 04-06-20 09:39 PM

what? Three people from your work have died?!

Heathpack 04-06-20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21404391)
Too nice...

lol that’s what I said

Bah Humbug 04-07-20 05:19 AM

This is one of those mornings on which there's just not enough coffee.

Trsnrtr 04-07-20 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21404823)
This is one of those mornings on which there's just not enough coffee.

Never enough coffee.

Trsnrtr 04-07-20 05:47 AM

I need a hair cut. :(

ericy 04-07-20 05:47 AM

According to these models:

COVID-19

Delaware is now 2 days past the peak in hospital resource usage - apparently without having run out of ICU beds. This is only a mathematical model, of course, and there are still real people in the hospital.

Our Governor is making a statement this afternoon. Yesterday, he banned short-term rentals (hotel, AirBnB, etc) except for "Essential Travelers". He is running out of things to ban..