Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   water to install rubber grips (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1205265)

mtb_addict 06-20-20 06:54 AM

water to install rubber grips

question 1:

these black rubber grips are difficult to push into this aluminum bar.

i got them in all the way, after a herculean effort of twist and pushing and cursing.

before, i had washed the grip and bar without soap, and rinsed with lots of water.
Then, let everything dry overnigt. i installed it dry.

For next time, can i use water as lube to facilitate grip install?

I was afraid that water would not dry completely in the grip. Would it? If so, how long will it take to dry?

mtb_addict 06-20-20 07:00 AM

question 2:

i also have a steel chrome bar. the rubber grips goes very easily into the chrome bar, eventhough grip and bar has been washed thoroughly and dried.
so easy...that I am afraid it might slip off when i am riding in the rain.

so i am thinking about gluing with the tube of rubber cement from the tire patching kit.

is it okay to glue it this way?

JohnDThompson 06-20-20 07:24 AM

Water with a little dish soap works well for installing grips, but it takes a while for it to dry out and secure the grip firmly. Hair spray works as well, and hardens up much quicker.

Litespud 06-20-20 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 21543864)
question 1:

i got them in all the way, after a herculean effort of twist and pushing and cursing.

before, i had washed the grip and bar without soap, and rinsed with lots of water.

I was afraid that water would not dry completely in the grip. Would it? If so, how long will it take to dry?

rubbing alcohol works well - pour a little into the grip, slosh it around, pour out the excess and slide it on. It evaporates away probably in a few hours

tbenjaminsen 06-20-20 07:33 AM

I’ve successfully used rubbing alcohol for installing rubber grips. Rubbing alcohol will evaporate much quicker than water, leaving the bar pretty much completely dry.

For fixation of rubber grips on chrome bars I’d probably try some carbon compound underneath the grip.

HTH,
-Tom

Dan Burkhart 06-20-20 08:01 AM

Not trying to gross you out, but saliva is an excellent solution for this.

2cam16 06-20-20 08:03 AM

I always use alcohol for grip installation. Works without fail. Dries pretty quick.

cyccommute 06-20-20 08:48 AM

question 1:

Water. Spit. Alcohol. All work well. I use White Rain in a pump bottle. I just started using my second bottle of the stuff. The first one came from the early 90s (perhaps earlier). You don’t need much and it glues the grips in place when it dries.

Water works but it does take a little longer to dry. Hairspray will dry in a couple of hours. Water may take double that. Putting it in the sun will likely speed the process in both cases.

To remove the grips, slip a 2mm Allen wrench under the grip and spray in water or alcohol (you could do spit but that a bunch...eww!). Pull the wrench out and the grip should just twist off.

cyccommute 06-20-20 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 21543868)
question 2:

i also have a steel chrome bar. the rubber grips goes very easily into the chrome bar, eventhough grip and bar has been washed thoroughly and dried.
so easy...that I am afraid it might slip off when i am riding in the rain.

so i am thinking about gluing with the tube of rubber cement from the tire patching kit.

is it okay to glue it this way?

Again, hairspray.

cyccommute 06-20-20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 21543942)

But if the bike is used in the commission of a crime, they have your DNA:rolleyes:

dsbrantjr 06-20-20 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 21543944)
I always use alcohol for grip installation. Works without fail. Dries pretty quick.

Me, too, it works for hoses on barbed fittings as well.

canopus 06-20-20 10:02 AM

Hairspray. Aqua Net being the best.

WizardOfBoz 06-20-20 10:10 AM

Surprised not to have seen Mad Honk weighing in. His day job is customizing golf clubs, IIRC. To put rubber golf grips on steel shafts, mineral spirits are the lubricant of choice. Often the case that masking tape is applied as a first layer. Generally, this results is a grip that won't come loose.

That said, hairspray probably works great.

2_i 06-20-20 10:11 AM

I use pure water from a spray bottle, but water from any container will work too. You just try to raise the grip from any side a bit and get any water in, then twist and move the respective edge of the grip. Yes I used some other methods in the past, but the pure water is best, leaving no residue and not impacting any material in any manner.

70sSanO 06-20-20 10:19 AM

Hairspray to install. Air compressor to remove.

John

steve sumner 06-20-20 10:31 AM

as others have said hairspray is IT. when wet grip slides on easily. when dry they're "glued" somewhat
BITD at my shop we used AquaNet as it was the cheapest and it wasn't going on our hair!

70sSanO 06-20-20 10:39 AM

Suave Max Hold... keeps the wave in ergo grips.

John

cyccommute 12-12-21 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Clarkk (Post 22337453)
I have read instructions on how to install rubber handlebar grips to replace ones that have worn out after a long time of use with just four easy steps: First, remove the old rubber grips. then clean the WD-40 rod, you should use soap and water to remove the dust and residue on it. The next step is to wrap some plastic fasteners on the bike; they will create some friction to mount the bike grips and keep them in place. and finally, the hardest thing to do is push the New Grip onto the bar. Twist the handle as you press on the handlebars, aligning it with the contours of the bike. Be patient as you attach the handlebars to the bike little by little.

Have you tried to use this method? It’s way over-complicated. Cut the old grips off or slide something under the grip and spray in water or alcohol. Spray some hair spray (or alcohol or water or spit) into the new grips and slide them on. The hair spray will dry and the grips are in place.

If that doesn’t hold the grips, use clamp on versions.

SteveKB 12-12-21 10:39 AM

I've soaked new grips in hot (but not boiling) water for a few moments, and they slid right on.
I also used hot water to get grips off, by slipping a thin screwdriver under the grip to create a space, and pouring the heated water into the gap.

MNebiker 12-12-21 03:13 PM

I've always used glass cleaner to remove and install grips- any brand that was handy, Windex, Invisible Glass, etc. Like SteveKB I just use a thin screwdriver and spray in some cleaner for removal. Glass cleaners usually consist of water, some alcohol or petroleum distillate, and detergent - the grips can be moved for a while to let you make adjustments and usually set up tight overnight. Works fine on chrome, painted, or carbon bars.

Andrew R Stewart 12-12-21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 21543942)

Nature's best lube ever!

I use Clean Streak for both removal and installs of grips if lube is needed. I slide a 2.5mm ball ended hex wrench under the old grip then slide in the red squirt tube under the gip. Spray a small amount, pull out the tube and wrench the rotate the grip and pull off. A light spray on the bars and in the grip then slide the grip on. Drys fast. Andy

astrobiker 12-13-21 05:18 PM

I don't see this mentioned anywhere, but 2-4 zip ties can make sliding on a grip a breeze...while not getting gunk on you bars or grips. Compressed air can do the trick too

rumrunn6 12-17-21 09:25 AM

fwiw, I save used grips. if turned inside out, they can be used on handlebar extender extension accessories to increase the diameter so that a headlamp which is attached w/ an elastic is tighter & won't move when hitting bumps in the road
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ca2353d06c.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f6c59d5143.jpg
not all lights need it because they have adjustable collars, but sometimes the extra squish is helpful anyway, when making the final adjustment
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8fc39282b.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6cd9fd7a77.jpg
experimented w/ two similar light heads the other night. misplaced the elastic for the one on the right & had to buy some after-market. but w/o the extra diameter of an old grip, it kept shifting position during my ride. pretty annoying
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b8b704a703.jpg