Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   One thing that irritates me (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1276783)

Milton Keynes 07-03-23 07:21 PM

One thing that irritates me

Is people who don't clean up their firework trash out of the street before I go out riding on the 5th in the dark before work. Yes, I do have a headlight. No, I don't always see all the leftover cardboard tubes, plastic and other junk left over from someone's fireworks party.

Chuck M 07-03-23 08:39 PM

That irritates me regardless of if I need to ride, drive, walk or look out the window at it.

Polaris OBark 07-03-23 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22943292)
Is people who don't clean up their firework trash out of the street before I go out riding on the 5th in the dark before work. Yes, I do have a headlight. No, I don't always see all the leftover cardboard tubes, plastic and other junk left over from someone's fireworks party.

I thought you lived in the UK.

Milton Keynes 07-04-23 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22943385)
I thought you lived in the UK.

Nope. But I did live there for a few years once.

JW Fas 07-04-23 10:02 AM

I always find it amusing that the same people who complain about the economy and the prices of everything magically have the finances to light off $1000 in ordnance on July 4th.

Polaris OBark 07-04-23 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22943710)
Nope. But I did live there for a few years once.

Me too (but not in Milton Keynes). I arrived there on July 4th, and I remember a few scattered fireworks around London, but nothing I would call a celebration, like Guy Fawkes Day.

Milton Keynes 07-04-23 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JW Fas (Post 22943775)
I always find it amusing that the same people who complain about the economy and the prices of everything magically have the finances to light off $1000 in ordnance on July 4th.

And often, the poorer they are, the more they spend on fireworks.

delbiker1 07-04-23 03:05 PM

Curiosity, fella's. What is about you, in your opinion, that irritates those poorer people that should not have fireworks? After all, what could they possibly be celebrating?

DonkeyShow 07-04-23 03:15 PM

Blowing **** up makes being poor more tolerable. It's part of what makes America soo great. Littering on the other hand, well they're just *******s. Nobody litters much or lights off fireworks around here thankfully (mainly cause I could find my stash)

I-Like-To-Bike 07-04-23 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22944056)
And often, the poorer they are, the more they spend on fireworks.

Using the same powers of magic, self righteous people could endlessly amuse themself fabricating stories about groups of people whom they hold in contempt.

Polaris OBark 07-04-23 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 22944115)
After all, what could they possibly be celebrating?

Severance from The Crown.

3alarmer 07-04-23 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow (Post 22944122)
Blowing **** up makes being poor more tolerable. It's part of what makes America soo great. ...

...this. And if you happen to live in California, you can set the neighborhood on fire without much worry about answering for it. Someone from the various fire services will come along and fix it later. :)

Polaris OBark 07-04-23 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 22944349)
...this. And if you happen to live in California, you can set the neighborhood on fire without much worry about answering for it. Someone from the various fire services will come along and fix it later. :)

https://www.kron4.com/news/californi...os-police-say/

JoeyBike 07-05-23 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22943292)

I rode the "fireworks slalom" course myself this morning. Thankfully, it was daylight.

Kat12 07-05-23 08:40 PM

You probably could've just left it at "people who don't clean up their trash..."

FBinNY 07-06-23 03:42 PM

I get your point and appreciate the irony,

However, it's something of a non-sequitur. Someone may have had the funds to support their hobbies (including fireworks) in the past, and now find themselves facing new constraints. Their complaints remain valid, until/unless they cut back on essentials while continuing to spend on non-essentials and demand something by way of help.

We all make choices, and as long as we're willing to accept the consequences of those choices, complaining should be free.

Years ago, a friend was surprised that I don't have cable. I said I'd rather than save the monthly $$$$ for other stuff. My, surprised friend didn't get it, and commented "but you're riding a $x,xxx bicycle!". By his logic, I could likewise criticize folks who spend serious dough on fireworks (or anything else).

And, yes, I don't let my expensive bikes keep me from being unhappy rising prices of essentials, especially for those with less slack in their budgets.

Hondo Gravel 07-11-23 10:42 PM

I was in the New Mexico mountains fireworks non existent. You would be in jail ASAP or the locals would get you.

jon c. 07-12-23 08:39 AM

Fireworks around me seemed less frequent than in previous years. And people generally use their yards rather than the road so no much problem with trash the next day.

Kai Winters 07-12-23 09:32 AM

Only "one thing that irritates me"??? pfft....amateur...lol