Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New live tracking app for sharing location in a group (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1220079)

davidasensio 12-23-20 06:21 PM

New live tracking app for sharing location in a group

Hi! I just wanted to let you know about a new free Android app. I've been working on it having in mind sports as cycling.

landesmd 07-19-21 12:29 PM

Thank you, this is exactly what I've been looking for! Planning on trying it this weekend. Is there any chance at an iPhone version (I have 0 ideas of how that works)?

Milton Keynes 07-19-21 12:33 PM

Why do I get the feeling that the second post above is a total shill? And what's so great about this app that Strava can't do?

spelger 07-19-21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22148523)
Why do I get the feeling that the second post above is a total shill? And what's so great about this app that Strava can't do?

neat if free and private. i don't think strava is free. i use cyclemeter and it sends email updates. i pay for it.

landesmd 07-19-21 01:07 PM

Why would this be a shill??? We've just started riding with a group of 20+ and would like to keep track of each other during the ride. We had someone wreck and the doctor in the group was 2+ miles ahead. Strava can do live tracking if everybody in the group pays for the subscription and it doesn't appear to even do that very well, it's ment for post-ride analysis and sharing. This app is free, doesn't require a login, and I can see where everyone is at; however some of them are using iphone so....
Am I wrong about Strava? I thought their live sharing was more for a single person to let a few people know where they are at in case something goes wrong, not for 20 people to share where they are on a single map.

spelger 07-19-21 03:30 PM

two newbies in one day, combined posts to date: 3.

davidasensio 07-19-21 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by landesmd (Post 22148515)
Thank you, this is exactly what I've been looking for! Planning on trying it this weekend. Is there any chance at an iPhone version (I have 0 ideas of how that works)?

​​​Hi landesmd !
Sorry but so far only Android app is available. And of course it is totally free and no login required. Hope you enjoy the app 😊

rsbob 07-19-21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22148814)
two newbies in one day, combined posts to date: 3.

And your point is? You were a newbie once too, all of us were. But if post counting is your thing…

OP: Thank you for making your app available to the community for free. Acts of generosity like that is so wonderful. Thanks again

UniChris 07-19-21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22148586)
i don't think strava is free..

Its not for tracking beacon or most anything beyond the most basic buggy recording.

I used to have an essentially beacon-only Strava subscription but then they eliminated that budget price tier and simultaneously broke the app so it invented absurd mileage-inflating detours off the actual route.

Everything else I've tried ​​​​​​stll records accurately on the same phone and I send occasional progress texts on rides that feel like they might be a challenge to complete.

jaxgtr 07-19-21 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22149201)
And your point is? You were a newbie once too, all of us were. But if post counting is your thing…

OP: Thank you for making your app available to the community for free. Acts of generosity like that is so wonderful. Thanks again

The point is it seems suspicious back to back, until you look at the post dates. One was in 2020 and the other 7 months later, so could be on the level.

Milton Keynes 07-20-21 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22148586)
neat if free and private. i don't think strava is free. i use cyclemeter and it sends email updates. i pay for it.

Strava is free, but you get more features with a subscription.

Milton Keynes 07-20-21 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by landesmd (Post 22148589)
Why would this be a shill??? We've just started riding with a group of 20+ and would like to keep track of each other during the ride. We had someone wreck and the doctor in the group was 2+ miles ahead. Strava can do live tracking if everybody in the group pays for the subscription and it doesn't appear to even do that very well, it's ment for post-ride analysis and sharing. This app is free, doesn't require a login, and I can see where everyone is at; however some of them are using iphone so....
Am I wrong about Strava? I thought their live sharing was more for a single person to let a few people know where they are at in case something goes wrong, not for 20 people to share where they are on a single map.

Because your very first and only post was an enthusiastic endorsement of the OP's product, and neither one of you had more than 1 post here. If you're not a shill, that's fine, but there were a lot of red flags popping up.

prj71 07-20-21 07:28 AM

Garmin devices, which probably 95% of use, already has this feature.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...ies-real-time/

Someone reinventing the wheeel.

spelger 07-20-21 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 22149292)
The point is it seems suspicious back to back, until you look at the post dates. One was in 2020 and the other 7 months later, so could be on the level.

you are correct, i only noticed the newbie and not the date.

Hermes 07-20-21 08:17 AM

Closing thread for review by the moderation team.

Hermes 07-20-21 12:44 PM

Removed commercial solicitation. Thread reopened.

landesmd 08-02-21 09:37 AM

OP: I'm loving the app so far, it's super easy to get everyone on the same map. I'm wondering what happens when I'm an idiot and my cell phone runs out of battery, will everyone loose the ability to see each other? Should start bringing a battery pack just in case?

davidasensio 08-02-21 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by landesmd (Post 22167639)
OP: I'm loving the app so far, it's super easy to get everyone on the same map. I'm wondering what happens when I'm an idiot and my cell phone runs out of battery, will everyone loose the ability to see each other? Should start bringing a battery pack just in case?

Good to hear that! 😊
No worries, if you run out of battery your position will remain stuck there for a few hours. Others participants will see you but with no recent updates. And they won't lose anything.
Hope it helps.