Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206920)

Chubby715 07-08-20 07:30 AM

Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?

I only carry a spare tubular in my saddle bag, so am curious if other riders here have recently added a face mask to their bag (or jersey pockets)? I usually do a 90 minute loop by my house so never stop, but was thinking I should carry a mask in case I need to get a ride home from Uber/Lyft due to a mechanical failure.

genejockey 07-08-20 07:34 AM

Yes. I always carry a cloth facemask in a ziploc bag in my jersey pocket.

Chubby715 07-08-20 07:38 AM

Thanks! I'll start tomorrow doing the same!

eduskator 07-08-20 07:40 AM

No. Only food & my cellphone, as usual. If I were to go in a place where wearing mask is mandatory, I expect the merchant to provide them to their customers. If not, I'll go somewhere else.

You'll get tons of different opinions / answers though, as many of us are living outside the US and are facing a different (better if you ask me :)) reality.

Wooderson 07-08-20 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21575807)
Yes. I always carry a cloth facemask in a ziploc bag in my jersey pocket.

Yep, same here. It's a necessity now.

caloso 07-08-20 07:43 AM

Yes, in case I need to go into a store or something.

mstateglfr 07-08-20 08:05 AM

I have brought one along when I plan to go to a store in the middle of the ride(ice cream stop with the family). I dont bring one on every ride though. They arent required by the state/towns where I am and most stores ask but dont require them to be worn. If I am on a ride, the only place I would go to is a gas station where its maybe 40/60 for wearing masks anyways.
I plan for a lot when cycling, but have to draw an arbitrary line somewhere. I for sure would have one if I was in an area that requires them in any/all stores.

bruce19 07-08-20 08:07 AM

No. My rides are never more than about 30 miles and all in a local loop. And, I only ride solo or with my gf. We live together. Given all that I don't see the need for it when cycling.

MoAlpha 07-08-20 08:09 AM

Yes. Required for stores and also in case I have to give or receive first aid on the road.

himespau 07-08-20 08:11 AM

I haven't been, but will probably start throwing a disposable one in my saddlebag with all my other stuff just in case of emergencies.

genejockey 07-08-20 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21575890)
Yes. Required for stores and also in case I have to give or receive first aid on the road.

Exactly this. You don't know when you're going to crash, or someone else is. And it weighs almost nothing and takes up very little space in the pocket.

2cam16 07-08-20 08:15 AM

No,because mine is always hanging off my ears/face for easy access. ;)

Dean51 07-08-20 08:15 AM

Yup, started yesterday cuz you just never know.

Dean

2manybikes 07-08-20 08:16 AM

Yes, always.

mackgoo 07-08-20 08:19 AM

No.

LAJ 07-08-20 08:19 AM

Yes.

Bah Humbug 07-08-20 08:22 AM

Good idea.

thenewjs 07-08-20 08:24 AM

Yep, but mainly for the bugs! Im a mouth breather.

seedsbelize 07-08-20 08:27 AM

I wear mine while cycling. Required at all times when away from home. I find the light weight paper ones to be the most comfortable. As we speak I have three men digging a trench, all wearing masks.

Germanrazor 07-08-20 08:31 AM

Uhhhh, no.

rubiksoval 07-08-20 08:41 AM

No. No plans to, either, but I haven't been in a store while on a ride in years, so that's not an issue. If I crash, the last thing I'm going to worry about is putting on a mask.

CeeDotA 07-08-20 08:47 AM

On rides long enough where I would expect to need to stop in somewhere, then yes. Otherwise, no.

RChung 07-08-20 08:52 AM

Yes.

Mv350 07-08-20 08:55 AM

No, but I’ll start to. In California, everything seems to be getting worse.

Jim from Boston 07-08-20 08:58 AM

Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?

Originally Posted by Chubby715 (Post 21575801)
I only carry a spare tubular in my saddle bag, so am curious if other riders here have recently added a face mask to their bag (or jersey pockets)?

I usually do a 90 minute loop by my house so never stop, but was thinking I should carry a mask in case I need to get a ride home from Uber/Lyft due to a mechanical failure.

Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 21575903)
No,because mine is always hanging off my ears/face for easy access.

I have posted:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 21476224)
My riding (commuting) has been through Boston, Brookline, West Roxbury, Dedham and Norwood, mostly on lightly trafficked roads with rare cyclists on the opposite side, and a small fraction of my routes on the lightly cycled Jamaica Pond / Muddy River MUPS.

I wear a mask, but when riding I lower it below my nose.

With the mask over my nose at rest, I have some fogging of my prescription eyeglasses, though the moisture is ventilated while riding, but breathing is improved through unencumbered nostrils. During the recent “cold” snap [May 15], the mask indeed was a chin and cheek warmer.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 21463595)
quiet day on the Minuteman & saw a new sign

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dca3fab253.jpg

There have been recent reports of vigorous law enforcement of wearing masks, e.g. a young mother arrested in the Brooklyn subway for lowering her mask to answer her phone (not necessary IMO). If this starts to occur in Boston, I hope my slightly lowered mask we’ll give me enough “cover” to avoid being stopped.

I do wear the mask when riding because if I want to enter an enclosed space.e.g. a store or Commmuter Rall car, it's cumbersome to remove my helmet with the chin strap over my ears, to secure the ear elastics of the mask, but so easy to just raise it above my nose since it is in place already.