Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   After doing cardio at the gym, I couldn't shake the boredom. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1229799)

DreamRider85 05-04-21 10:38 PM

After doing cardio at the gym, I couldn't shake the boredom.

I've been bike riding consistently in the pandemic, doing 30-50 miles. I hadn't been to the gym in a long time. But I went back for the first time and did an hour and a half of the Cybex Arc Trainer and 30 minutes of the Stairmaster. Doing them physically wasn't a problem, although I couldn't really push myself because of the required mask I had to wear. I feel like I get a better workout riding my bike. The reason is that I am more engaged when I'm on my bike. I realized that when I'm on a machine at the gym, it is very boring. The hardest part of getting through it is the mental aspect. Even with my iPhone and music, it just felt tedious. I had to concentrate just to push myself, whereas when I'm on the bike it happens much more naturally.

How do you feel? I can't believe how boring it felt. I thought it would be fun to go back to the gym again. Do you do any other cardio other than cycling?

wolfchild 05-05-21 03:21 AM

Gyms are for lifting weights and getting strong and the outdoors are for cardio...Do your cardio training outdoors and do your strength training inside the gym.

shelbyfv 05-05-21 05:16 AM

On the plus side, you are safe from the sun and the multitude of hazards encountered on the road.:thumb:

Champlaincycler 05-05-21 05:35 AM

I'm the opposite. No gym for me, but all winter at home riding on a dumb trainer one day, rowing machine the next for 45-60 minutes, watching you tube training videos. Its not like outdoor cycling, more like intense spinning. Cardio is much more intense for me at home, just can't seem to get the heart rate up for as long while riding outside mostly alone, can't maintain the cadence. Maybe there's some security that I'm never far from home and I can push to the max . It's my legs that hold me back.

jpescatore 05-05-21 05:39 AM

Hiking is my non-cycling outdoor cardio - anything with a climb.

I miss the gym for working with weights, can only do body weight stuff at home and too easy to skip. I'll probably rejoin the gym in the fall.

MattTheHat 05-05-21 05:55 AM

You were listening to music? At the gym? That’s terribly unsafe! Just enjoy the sounds of clanking weights. So many people these days need constant stimulation from their devices. I KID, I KID. :lol:

One of the great things about riding is you never know what your going to see around the next corner or hill or whatever. Definitely cuts down on boredom.

Phil_gretz 05-05-21 06:14 AM

@DreamRider85 ! :love:

It was a bold move, going to the gym. You braved the dangers of enclosed spaces with the inherently poor ventilation, risks of crushing injuries, and the ever-present clostridium tetani. Way to go!

As to the question, I kill it at the gym. Out in real life, I'm a Category 6 racer. But in the gym, I'm a Cat 3. Ask anyone, they'll tell you...

guachi 05-05-21 06:25 AM

Having to wear a mask would keep me away from doing cardio in a gym. But even if I didn't have to wear a mask I'd find a ride longer than, say, 30 minutes to be so boring now that I have Zwift at home and good places to ride outside.

burnthesheep 05-05-21 06:31 AM

Zwift on a big screen at my house with good smart trainer, fans, and good music are the bare minimum stimulation I need to do bike training indoors. It just stinks. I should pause my membership for the good weather months to save the money. As I really don't use it. I just like the outdoors.

DreamRider85 05-05-21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Champlaincycler (Post 22045502)
I'm the opposite. No gym for me, but all winter at home riding on a dumb trainer one day, rowing machine the next for 45-60 minutes, watching you tube training videos. Its not like outdoor cycling, more like intense spinning. Cardio is much more intense for me at home, just can't seem to get the heart rate up for as long while riding outside mostly alone, can't maintain the cadence. Maybe there's some security that I'm never far from home and I can push to the max . It's my legs that hold me back.

Yea, I wanted to crank up my intensity. But it's a bit hard for me to push when I have the mask.

tkamd73 05-05-21 11:27 AM

Not ever going back to the “gym” as you put it, until one doesn’t need a mask. No mask required riding my bike outdoors!
Tim

Cyclist0108 05-05-21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by tkamd73 (Post 22046127)
Not ever going back to the “gym”

I think the whole touching shared equipment in a sweatbox idea was a bit sketchy to begin with, especially in flu season. I don't see the risks ever being lowered even to this point again in my lifetime, especially with 1/3 of the population regarding COVID-19 vaccination as optional.

Troul 05-05-21 12:30 PM

Personally, the gym is all about increasing instant strength for the muscle groups that I do not develop or lack with outdoor cycling. If I do any cardio in the gym, it's because I am waiting for something to free-up, which doesnt happen.

ofajen 05-05-21 06:46 PM

Similar preferences here. I do about 11 months a year of outdoor biking and only rely on our elliptical (and maybe the rear wheel trainer) during the usual three or four weeks of Arctic hell when it is too snowy and icy to get decent traction for a workout. I ride down to freezing (and maybe a bit lower on occasion) and happily slog through mud and whatever to avoid the tedium of indoor cycling as much as possible.

We have weights and other stuff for strength training, so I never need to go to a gym. Plus I’m riding single speed, so I seem to get a lot of core and shoulder workout from cycling.

Otto

downtube42 05-05-21 06:51 PM

The last 30 miles from my ride Saturday was on a MUP, and I found that almost too boring. I mean, virtually no chance of death by car or getting lost.

The gym? Just shoot me.

Litespud 05-05-21 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by DreamRider85 (Post 22045335)
I've been bike riding consistently in the pandemic, doing 30-50 miles. I hadn't been to the gym in a long time. But I went back for the first time and did an hour and a half of the Cybex Arc Trainer and 30 minutes of the Stairmaster. Doing them physically wasn't a problem, although I couldn't really push myself because of the required mask I had to wear. I feel like I get a better workout riding my bike. The reason is that I am more engaged when I'm on my bike. I realized that when I'm on a machine at the gym, it is very boring. The hardest part of getting through it is the mental aspect. Even with my iPhone and music, it just felt tedious. I had to concentrate just to push myself, whereas when I'm on the bike it happens much more naturally.

How do you feel? I can't believe how boring it felt. I thought it would be fun to go back to the gym again. Do you do any other cardio other than cycling?

that’s ‘cos mindless churning in a piece of gym equipment is purgatory. I use a rower at home as an alternative to cycling - I have a TV set up for when I’m going for distance, and I concentrate on the meter if I’m going for pace. Without at least one of these distractions it’d be torture.

Troul 05-05-21 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 22046858)
The last 30 miles from my ride Saturday was on a MUP, and I found that almost too boring. I mean, virtually no chance of death by car or getting lost.

The gym? Just shoot me.

ikr. need to have that driver of a buick or that 2000s Cadillac excitement.

70sSanO 05-05-21 08:22 PM

I haven’t been back to the gym. For decades I never went to the gym as it felt so boring. But after I retired I started going during the day when it was pretty empty.

Ireally liked the elliptical and I’d crank up the resistance to simulate climbing.

From there I’d just go from machine to machine alternating upper and lower and try to get through in 45 minutes. I do miss the quick workout a few times a week.

John

Daniel4 05-05-21 09:12 PM

If you're riding to the gym, why do you still need to get on the treadmill for some more cardio?

Bigbus 05-05-21 09:21 PM

I live less than 50 feet from a small gym here in the resort and I take my Kindle when I'm riding the exercycle or jogging on the treadmill.
https://www.ramforum.com/styles/defa...es/guile-1.gif

ropetwitch 05-05-21 09:43 PM

Its really hard to exercise when wearing mask. I tried to do jogging but, I didn't last. I felt I'm catching my breath and I do get tired soon.
Better have a treadmill in the house so you won't need a mask.

Rolla 05-05-21 10:50 PM

Cardio on the bike. Weights at the gym. Never the inverse.

indyfabz 05-06-21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22047123)
Cardio on the bike. Weights at the gym. Never the inverse.

Why? Will I injure myself?