Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

jaxgtr 10-15-23 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23043070)
50 flat miles, up against the wind & dashing thru the muck.


sounds like a start to a Christmas song

GamblerGORD53 10-15-23 12:02 PM

Last Saturday I rode my heavyweight 101 miles in 10 hours flat, the 4th century. The Rohloff14 just cruised along so easy, never had a cramp all day. I seem to do better if I eat hotdogs for breakfast and drink a bottle of coke at lunch or on the way home. I had another snack break at 72 miles.
At about mile 10 I was stopped at a light at the end of a suburb. A 50+ guy on a race bike came up behind me, only one all day. I asked him if he was going to the town I was. He just laughed and made a snide remark. There's a little downhill right there, so he let me get going and I made him go 30 mph to pass me. LOL.
The peloton guys ride 20 miles out that way. I had my usual burger and fries lunch in the town.
On the way home I passed a dead deer and coyote. At mile 88 I was on the ringroad and got some wind to crank up to 25.4 mph for a bit. LOL. I didn't bother with pics this time, 3rd time I went this way this year.

This year I also had 3 rides in the low 90s and 4 in the high 90s. Half were with my other SA 5w roadster.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4bddb9a974.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5406ed60e5.jpg
Got a 200 birds show one day on a creek bridge. LOL.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6fbb2e5dec.jpg

HectorStorm 10-15-23 12:10 PM


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23042901)
Bummer, hopefully its not as bad as you think and you will heal quickly. Something it seems worse than it is at first and once the swelling and initial impact soreness reduces you will feel better. I had a bad accident several years ago and had to have multiple surgeries to fix it. The worst part was the initial soft tissue swelling and soreness. The broken and shattered shoulder really did not hurt that much.

Found out I broke a bone! It's my first ever! Arm in a sling now. Sun blinded me on a descent and crashed. Doesn't hurt much really though!

CrowSeph 10-15-23 12:14 PM

212,18 km
Ele2.193 m
Time7h 24m

rsbob 10-15-23 01:27 PM


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23043131)
sounds like a start to a Christmas song

A very sad Xmas song

Sierra_rider 10-15-23 03:08 PM

Just a short ride today, just didn't feel like doing much mileage today...only 20 miles/2k' gain. The only noteworthy aspect of it, was I did it on my 20+year old Cannondale CAAD5 w/full Dura Ace...I'm admittedly a modern bike/carbon snob and can't remember the last time I rode a non-carbon bike. Anyway, it's a cool experience, but these old alloy bikes are a bone-jarring ride compared to a newer bike(or steel for that matter.)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a1e96b57d3.jpg

jaxgtr 10-15-23 09:58 PM


Originally Posted by HectorStorm (Post 23043162)
Found out I broke a bone! It's my first ever! Arm in a sling now. Sun blinded me on a descent and crashed. Doesn't hurt much really though!

That seems like good news, should be a easy recovery. Hopefully the bike is in good shape.

SpeedyBlueBiker 10-16-23 09:44 AM


Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23043304)
Just a short ride today, just didn't feel like doing much mileage today...only 20 miles/2k' gain. The only noteworthy aspect of it, was I did it on my 20+year old Cannondale CAAD5 w/full Dura Ace...I'm admittedly a modern bike/carbon snob and can't remember the last time I rode a non-carbon bike. Anyway, it's a cool experience, but these old alloy bikes are a bone-jarring ride compared to a newer bike(or steel for that matter.)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a1e96b57d3.jpg

Looks like that bike is rock'n the triple that was all the rage back then. Hey, my 2001 Lemond Zurich steel frame has a triple as well. I love that bike!

Sierra_rider 10-16-23 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 23043867)
Looks like that bike is rock'n the triple that was all the rage back then. Hey, my 2001 Lemond Zurich steel frame has a triple as well. I love that bike!

That triple took a bit getting used to, this used to be my father's bike...I traded him one of my mountain bikes for it a few years ago. The triples were quite popular around here for awhile, especially with all the local climbing. That being said, I'm a fan of the compact 2x11 on my "daily" road bike.

I don't know how I did it, but I used to ride a standard 53/39 double with a 11-28t rear cassette. About 10 years ago, I bought a new bike with a compact 2x11 and 11-32...that was a revelation about the importance of being able to spin. My current road bike is the compact with 11-34...I even threw on a wolf-link and an 11-40 mtb cassette just to do the Death Ride this year. I loved the 11-40 for that much climbing, but not my cup of tea for everyday usage. Now I'm building up a lightweight rim brake frame just for that usage.

SpeedyBlueBiker 10-16-23 02:59 PM


Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23043901)
That triple took a bit getting used to, this used to be my father's bike...I traded him one of my mountain bikes for it a few years ago. The triples were quite popular around here for awhile, especially with all the local climbing. That being said, I'm a fan of the compact 2x11 on my "daily" road bike.

I don't know how I did it, but I used to ride a standard 53/39 double with a 11-28t rear cassette. About 10 years ago, I bought a new bike with a compact 2x11 and 11-32...that was a revelation about the importance of being able to spin. My current road bike is the compact with 11-34...I even threw on a wolf-link and an 11-40 mtb cassette just to do the Death Ride this year. I loved the 11-40 for that much climbing, but not my cup of tea for everyday usage. Now I'm building up a lightweight rim brake frame just for that usage.

My Lemond came with a 52-42-30 up front and a 9sp cassette 12-25. I used that cassette for many years but when I switched it out after a lot of wear I put on a 9sp 12-28. That worked really well although I never used it in the 30X28 mode. I haven't done the Death Ride but have heard a lot about it.

Sierra_rider 10-16-23 03:08 PM

Some more road today, headed down into the foothills for this one. The downside is that most of the climbing is stacked in the 2nd half of the ride.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f65b3e1feb.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c93f129f5a.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...53ba2447f5.jpg

Sierra_rider 10-16-23 03:28 PM


Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 23044193)
My Lemond came with a 52-42-30 up front and a 9sp cassette 12-25. I used that cassette for many years but when I switched it out after a lot of wear I put on a 9sp 12-28. That worked really well although I never used it in the 30X28 mode. I haven't done the Death Ride but have heard a lot about it.

This Cannondale is a 53-39-30. The gearing is fine for most of the local climbs, but having that 1:1 is handy when I'm doing more than one of the big "HC" Sierra climbs.

The Death Ride just about broke me this year, it's 103 miles and 13-14k' of climbing...most of the climbing is done in 5 "serious" climbs. It was over 100į at the finish this year and I was cramping badly at the finish. I'm not a flyweight climber by any means, so I gotta make it easier on myself anyway I can. That 34x40 combo was a lifesaver. Instead of "powering" up the steep sections like I normally do, I just sat and spun. It felt ridiculous early on, but later on I was spinning 90+rpm past a bunch of guys that were just mashing a painfully slow cadence.

Sierra_rider 10-17-23 06:53 PM

Did a "flat" gravel ride today, meaning it was one of the rare times that the elevation gain was below the golden ratio...anyway, 37 miles and 2700' of gain. Fall is an awesome time up at 8k feet up.


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18dd4c5dea.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ae0a3d025f.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b56418a77.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5eae16782a.jpg

rsbob 10-17-23 08:45 PM


Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23045231)
Did a "flat" gravel ride today, meaning it was one of the rare times that the elevation gain was below the golden ratio...anyway, 37 miles and 2700' of gain. Fall is an awesome time up at 8k feet up.

Slacker. You really need to step it up. 😉 (Not to brag too much - I did a quick 25 miles with a whopping 1600í, pedaling backward with two flats - with one leg. <there was one sad element of truth there>) Now get back to work!

macattack71 10-17-23 10:23 PM

11 miles. First outdoor ride post Covid-19. Had been on the trainer several times already. Path near the river was a swarm of gnats, I turned around after a half mile, was covered in them. I had planned for more mileage but oh well. I will start bringing a mask with me for these areas, just in case. It's a 5-mile path near the river.

rsbob 10-17-23 11:22 PM


Originally Posted by macattack71 (Post 23045338)
11 miles. First outdoor ride post Covid-19. Had been on the trainer several times already. Path near the river was a swarm of gnats, I turned around after a half mile, was covered in them. I had planned for more mileage but oh well. I will start bringing a mask with me for these areas, just in case. It's a 5-mile path near the river.

Good for you getting back outside, even if it didnít turn out. I am three weeks post-COVID and started inside on the trainer at low effort just to see. Hopefully your symptoms are gone or abating. Keep riding.

Sierra_rider 10-17-23 11:43 PM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23045293)
Slacker. You really need to step it up. 😉 (Not to brag too much - I did a quick 25 miles with a whopping 1600í, pedaling backward with two flats - with one leg. <there was one sad element of truth there>;) Now get back to work!

I like climbing as much as anyone, but I gotta say that it was nice to get into the big ring for a change(not counting the downhills.) The longest climb on this route is a paltry 1.5 miles long. It's mostly a slight uphill drag the whole way out, so the ride back is fast paced. Fat 42mm tires and gravel bike geometry(i.e. not aero), yet I was still able to just hit a high of 50mph.

I get the pedaling backwards on one leg, but how did you manage 2 flats?:lol: Knock on wood, I haven't gotten a flat on the road bike since back in May. I'm finally going to give road tubeless a shot. I've been running tubeless for awhile now on my mtbs and more recently, my gravel bike. Tubeless has been almost flawless on the mtbs, but so-so reliability on the gravel bike. I often get large tears in the gravel tires, which is something I don't plan on doing on the road bike...and tubeless should help out with the goats heads.

rsbob 10-18-23 10:04 AM


Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23045356)
I like climbing as much as anyone, but I gotta say that it was nice to get into the big ring for a change(not counting the downhills.) The longest climb on this route is a paltry 1.5 miles long. It's mostly a slight uphill drag the whole way out, so the ride back is fast paced. Fat 42mm tires and gravel bike geometry(i.e. not aero), yet I was still able to just hit a high of 50mph.

I get the pedaling backwards on one leg, but how did you manage 2 flats?:lol: Knock on wood, I haven't gotten a flat on the road bike since back in May. I'm finally going to give road tubeless a shot. I've been running tubeless for awhile now on my mtbs and more recently, my gravel bike. Tubeless has been almost flawless on the mtbs, but so-so reliability on the gravel bike. I often get large tears in the gravel tires, which is something I don't plan on doing on the road bike...and tubeless should help out with the goats heads.

Forgot about those nasty goat heads in Cali. Used to get them when in the way-back machine. Have been running tubeless on the road bike for almost 4 years and in that time picked up a nail, and was able to ride 4 miles home with it and only lose 5 lbs pressure, until I could plug it - and then rode another 2K with it plugged with zero problems. Did get one nasty sidewall cut which sealant didnít stand a chance, so had to boot the tire and put in a tube. Picked up a shard of glass, but that self-sealed and was good. I went tubeless on my MTB as well, and never regretted it after one too many snake-bites. I too would be hesitant on a gravel bike knowing how sharp the rock pieces are in the sierras.

Troul 10-18-23 10:20 AM

Rolled a rather easy 35 miles. Temps were mid 50s, winds we calm & picked up to push me faster back.

diphthong 10-18-23 11:09 AM

75-spot. longest ride in a year.

rsbob 10-18-23 08:08 PM

Recovery ride day - slow and low

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ca5e6a6a.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ca450ab27.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2fabed533.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...497cf8cc6.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fbcd38a97.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a9c6a468d.jpeg

Troul 10-18-23 09:32 PM

^
Don't be horsin around now!

Sierra_rider 10-19-23 06:35 PM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23045655)
Forgot about those nasty goat heads in Cali. Used to get them when in the way-back machine. Have been running tubeless on the road bike for almost 4 years and in that time picked up a nail, and was able to ride 4 miles home with it and only lose 5 lbs pressure, until I could plug it - and then rode another 2K with it plugged with zero problems. Did get one nasty sidewall cut which sealant didn’t stand a chance, so had to boot the tire and put in a tube. Picked up a shard of glass, but that self-sealed and was good. I went tubeless on my MTB as well, and never regretted it after one too many snake-bites. I too would be hesitant on a gravel bike knowing how sharp the rock pieces are in the sierras.

Tire choice is big on the gravel bike. My gravel bike came with tires that look liked XC my tires, yet had horrible puncture resistance. I'm now running Specialized tires that have fairly smooth tread, have less rolling resistance, yet have had no issues with punctures.

rsbob 10-19-23 09:16 PM

46 miles, 2K gain, 16.8 MPH Ave. A handful of PRs. No pics - was on a mission.

Troul 10-19-23 09:25 PM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23047059)
46 miles, 2K gain, 16.8 MPH Ave. A handful of PRs. No pics - was on a mission.

seems like recovery is going well!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.