Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

MoAlpha 04-12-22 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22469830)
Or you can go out and do a 1 hour ftp test.

Yes, but according to the real geeks, that's just a more precise measure of a poor surrogate for a metabolic thing.

And I lack the experience and self discipline to do it well.

Mojo31 04-12-22 08:57 AM

Any of you gents sportin a Garmin watch? What do you have and what say you?

Velo Vol 04-12-22 09:11 AM

It is me, or does it always rain on Tuesday now?

rjones28 04-12-22 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469908)

I have a Forerunner 35. The least expensive multisport-capable watch they sell. I got it on sale for around $100. I mostly use it for commuting and when I don't feel like looking at data on the ride (leave the 520 at home).

I like that it's small, and light, and cheap. The last part is important for bike shop wear, since I won't be too upset if I break it while wrenching.

I considered getting the fancier FR 935 when Garmin was closing them out, but the bezel is like 47mm -- way too big for me.

rjones28 04-12-22 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22469923)
It is me, or does it always rain on Tuesday now?

It's currently sunny here.

rjones28 04-12-22 09:13 AM

I took the snow covers off the lavender this week.

MoAlpha 04-12-22 09:19 AM

Instinct Solar. Good for my purposes, but definitely has limits. What do you want?

Will not be dropping 6 bills on the one that talks to our new Garmin boat system.

LAJ 04-12-22 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22469865)
Yes, but according to the real geeks, that's just a more precise measure of a poor surrogate for a metabolic thing.

And I lack the experience and self discipline to do it well.

Understand.

Mojo31 04-12-22 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22469934)
Instinct Solar. Good for my purposes, but definitely has limits. What do you want?

Will not be dropping 6 bills on the one that talks to our new Garmin boat system.

Fitness and activity tracking. Not too crazy about spending $600 or more either, but Bike Closet has a Fenix 6 for $300.

I wear a watch all day, everyday, so this would be another option for those active days.

genejockey 04-12-22 09:44 AM

Shoulda got it in 3.
Wordle 297 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

MoAlpha 04-12-22 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469949)
Fitness and activity tracking. Not too crazy about spending $600 or more either, but Bike Closet has a Fenix 6 for $300.

I wear a watch all day, everyday, so this would be another option for those active days.

I think the Fenix is better if it's going to be your main fitness tracker, because it's got more specifically fitness-related software features. I got the Instinct for sleep and all-day HR. I don't think anything you wear on your wrist is very good for active HR. My Scosche forearm band is far more reliable. However, the watch could use it as an external sensor if I ever wanted to do that.

Mojo31 04-12-22 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22469966)
I think the Fenix is better if it's going to be your main fitness tracker, because it's got more specifically fitness-related software features. I got the Instinct for sleep and all-day HR. I don't think anything you wear on your wrist is very good for active HR. My Scosche forearm band is far more reliable. However, the watch could use it as an external sensor if I ever wanted to do that.

I have a Scosche forearm HR band that I wear on the trainer but not so much on the bike (although I should start doing that again).

I'm thinking it would be nice to have as a supplement to the bike gear to pick up hiking and other non-bike activities. Plus, it's a watch.

MoAlpha 04-12-22 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469969)
I have a Scosche forearm HR band that I wear on the trainer but not so much on the bike (although I should start doing that again).

I'm thinking it would be nice to have as a supplement to the bike gear to pick up hiking and other non-bike activities. Plus, it's a watch.

Yeah, it'll do all that beautifully and I do use mine to record HR on my somewhat athletic commutes because I don't feel like using extra stuff on those rides.

Velo Vol 04-12-22 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22469926)
It's currently sunny here.

It's Tuesday and you're incorrect.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f9fb4438b3.png

Velo Vol 04-12-22 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22469934)

What does a boat need a Garmin for?

BillyD 04-12-22 10:21 AM

Hey LAJ what is the name of that protein powder you recommended a while back?

mvnsnd 04-12-22 10:23 AM

I have a Garmin Venu. I like it a lot. Got it mostly for walking and sleep tracking. Never use it for on bike as I have an Edge for that, plus it won't connect to power meters. Battery life is decent, but getting shorter now that it's a couple years old, maybe 3 days between charges.

Mojo31 04-12-22 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22469980)
What does a boat need a Garmin for?

We've been over this:

Speed through the water
Speed over ground
True wind speed
Apparent wind speed
Wind speed during puffs
Wind direction
Shifts in wind direction
Water depth
Water depth below the keel
Water temperature
Compass bearing
Drift while at anchor
Anchor alarm
Chart plotting
Time to destination
Time to waypoint
Etc., etc., etc.

BillyD 04-12-22 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469949)

I use an Apple Watch, comes with all the activity tracking options one can think of, plus, of course, there's tons of 3rd party stuff available.

Mojo31 04-12-22 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22469997)
I use an Apple Watch, comes with all the activity tracking options one can think of, plus, of course, there's tons of 3rd party stuff available.

My wife and daughter like their Apple Watches.

I'm a Droid guy, and staunch opponent of anything Apple, although I do own an iPad. But, only because nobody else on the friggin globe will make a tablet of that nature that is any good.

Velo Vol 04-12-22 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22469995)
We've been over this:

Speed through the water
Speed over ground
True wind speed
Apparent wind speed
Wind speed during puffs
Wind direction
Shifts in wind direction
Water depth
Water depth below the keel
Water temperature
Compass bearing
Drift while at anchor
Anchor alarm
Chart plotting
Time to destination
Time to waypoint
Etc., etc., etc.

How many sensors are there?

Mojo31 04-12-22 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22470012)
How many sensors are there?

Depends, but multiple. Some sense more than one thing.

Usually two below water and one at the top of the mast. Another if you have radar.

Velo Vol 04-12-22 11:01 AM

I have no idea how many sensing instruments work. In theory, I kind of get how GPS, and thermometers, and these work, but in a small box, nope. How does a cellphone compass work? No idea.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...677e04e9e2.png

Mojo31 04-12-22 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22470029)
I have no idea how many sensing instruments work. In theory, I kind of get how GPS, and thermometers, and these work, but in a small box, nope. How does a cellphone compass work? No idea.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...677e04e9e2.png

That's all you need when you never leave Knox County.

LAJ 04-12-22 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22469989)
Hey LAJ what is the name of that protein powder you recommended a while back?

https://us.myprotein.com/

There's the site, Bill. I use the product named The Whey, which is 25g of protein, low fat and good amino's and such. The impact whey isolate is also good stuff, which is lower fat. I don't think that's an issue for you, so just about any whey product on the site is a good clean product. If you're looking soon,
Wick42 -gives you 42% off. Don't buy anything without a coupon code.