Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Velognome 09-24-13 06:27 PM

Kenda's with the raised center rib are OK at best, I ride them at their max 55psi to get reasonable road speed

wahoonc 09-24-13 06:53 PM


Originally Posted by jamesj (Post 16099507)
I need new tires for years now I have been running Cheng shin tires on my 3 speed and have grown tired of how dead they feel, I always feel like I'm having to struggle just to get some where. I want a faster zippy tire, what should I get?

Panaracer Col de la Vie or Michelin World Tour.

Aaron :)

rhm 09-24-13 06:53 PM

Panaracer Col-de-la-Vie are pretty nice. They are pretty fat, so you don't have to run them at high pressure. I must have over a thousand miles on mine, one flat so far.

Schwinnsta 09-24-13 07:27 PM

Another +1 for Panaracer Col-de-la-Vie.

Gasbag 09-27-13 10:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Great thread! Meet my 1963 Rudge 23" sports. I bought it from the daughter of the original owner for the princely sum of $30. It had been stored for 30+ years. I took it down to the bare frame and did a full restoration / preservation for its 50th birthday. The paint was dead and all the old lube had turned to tar. The original Brooks saddle is in nice, supple condition. I will be adding a period correct lantern (if the postal service can see fit to deliver it) and possibly a rack for work commuting duties. I named him "Casey Jones" due to the oil ports and old locomotive attitude.

I don't watch TV, I rather spend my free time these days restoring old bicycles. After I get the 1 Austrian, 2 French, and 1 American bicycle restorations that are waiting their turn completed, I think I am going to focus my attention on the old English bikes. They require fewer special tools and I really like the fit and finish of them. In many ways they remind me of the straight six cylinder, three on the tree cars and trucks of my younger years.

This is my first try at uploading pictures here, so hopefully the internets smile down upon me.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342982 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342983http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342984

gna 09-27-13 10:10 AM


Originally Posted by Gasbag (Post 16109354)
Great thread! Meet my 1963 Rudge 23" sports. I bought it from the daughter of the original owner for the princely sum of $30. It had been stored for 30+ years. I took it down to the bare frame and did a full restoration / preservation for its 50th birthday. The paint was dead and all the old lube had turned to tar. The original Brooks saddle is in nice, supple condition. I will be adding a period correct lantern (if the postal service can see fit to deliver it) and possibly a rack for work commuting duties. I named him "Casey Jones" due to the oil ports and old locomotive attitude.

I don't watch TV, I rather spend my free time these days restoring old bicycles. After I get the 1 Austrian, 2 French, and 1 American bicycle restorations that are waiting their turn completed, I think I am going to focus my attention on the old English bikes. They require fewer special tools and I really like the fit and finish of them. In many ways they remind me of the straight six cylinder, three on the tree cars and trucks of my younger years.

This is my first try at uploading pictures here, so hopefully the internets smile down upon me.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342982 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342983http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342984

:thumb:

Gasbag 09-27-13 10:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
After completing my Rudge, I took a notion to add a Dynohub to it. I located a Phillips ladies bicycle on CL for cheap that had a complete Dynohub and lighting system. The photos were poor so I didn't catch much else about it until I had purchased it. The old girl, 1956, seems to be an odd duck. It is a Phillips Royal and all of my searches far and wide have not turned up another. Note the Raleigh-like thimbled fork. Other Phillips that I have seen with this style are flat across the top. Also the head badge is quite different from standard Phillips. Note the seat tube and fender decals.

I bought it from the brother of the original owner. It was purchased new in Boston and brought to Chicago after his sisters death.

Now I'm not so sure that I should cannibalize this old lady for the Dynohub as she is a good candidate for a preservation.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342989 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342990 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342991http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342992http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=342993

noglider 09-27-13 10:52 AM

Gasbag, welcome! Your Rudge is a lot like mine, which is one year older. It's a 1962 model, and for what it's worth, I am a 1961 model. ;)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...o/IMG_0289.JPG

Here are the rest of the pictures.

I saw move the lighting system to the Rudge, since that's what you'll be riding (right?). Then fix up the Phillips, which is also a very nice specimen. Does anyone know when Raleigh bought Philips?

Nerdy Norm 09-27-13 11:10 AM


Does anyone know when Raleigh bought Philips?
1960 - source: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/Company/History/

noglider 09-27-13 11:13 AM

That's what I thought. So how did the Philips have a Raleigh fork in the 1950's.

Gasbag 09-27-13 11:30 AM

Thanks for the welcome Tom. FWIW, I'm a 1961 model myself. I was acquainted with your Rudge while searching information here about mine. Like you mentioned in an earlier post, it is a special bike and it is already in the keeper category.

The Phillips Royal fork has thrown me for a loop. It is obviously original to the bike, going by paint condition and pinstriping which matches the rest of the bike perfectly. The Phillips forks of this style that I have seen, somewhat uncommon, are flat across the top.

The rather unique head badge leads me to believe that this bike is a limited edition as I have not seen another during some intensive searching.

Gasbag 09-27-13 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16109529)
Gasbag, welcome! Your Rudge is a lot like mine, which is one year older. It's a 1962 model, and for what it's worth, I am a 1961 model. ;)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...o/IMG_0289.JPG

Here are the rest of the pictures.

I saw move the lighting system to the Rudge, since that's what you'll be riding (right?). Then fix up the Phillips, which is also a very nice specimen. Does anyone know when Raleigh bought Philips?

I have a NOS Elite chrome bicycle lantern somewhere in the postal service that I bought for the Rudge. I work second shift, so my original plan was to update the Elite with LED lighting and use a blinky out back to avoid getting squooshed on my ride home. Then I got the dynohub idea. Then I bought a parts bike for the dynohub that is to nice & unique to part out. A bit of a quandry. I may need a couple of pints while sitting in the garage staring at them to get this sorted out.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=343019

gbalke 09-27-13 04:00 PM

Nice restoration on the Rudge Gasbag; you really can't go wrong with black on a vintage Brit cycle. Looking forward to seeing more of your handi work.

So, how far south of Chicago are you?

Gasbag 09-27-13 04:18 PM


Originally Posted by gbalke (Post 16110634)
Nice restoration on the Rudge Gasbag; you really can't go wrong with black on a vintage Brit cycle. Looking forward to seeing more of your handi work.

So, how far south of Chicago are you?

Thanks for the compliment. I probably have close to 40 hours in the Rudge restoration. Like I said above, it's what I do now to while away my free time. The bikes that I don't want to keep get sold for my cost plus a decent six pack of beer. By not selling at a profit, my restorations will remain just a no pressure hobby.

I'm about an hour south of Chicago in the Kankakee area.

fixed1313 09-27-13 09:58 PM

Welcome to the addiction Gasbag, I have pretty much given up on the other countries as well and focus mainly on Brit bikes. They are so much fun to work on and ride. You have two nice looking bikes, I would move the lighting system over to the Rudge and restore the Philips as well.

Gasbag 09-28-13 06:21 AM


Originally Posted by fixed1313 (Post 16111505)
Welcome to the addiction Gasbag, I have pretty much given up on the other countries as well and focus mainly on Brit bikes. They are so much fun to work on and ride. You have two nice looking bikes, I would move the lighting system over to the Rudge and restore the Philips as well.


Thanks for the welcome. I am leaning in the direction doing the lighting swap. The Rudge has Westrick rims and the Phillips has Dunlops so it looks like I will be getting schooled in wheel building. I make my living as a mechanic so the process doesn't intimidate me at all. The toggle under the headlight is snapped off so that needs to be addressed.

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with Raleigh, my intention is locate the other and lesser known brands as a priority and Raleighs mainly when a deal is too good to pass (read that dirt cheap). I enjoy the research of a project as well. I am located in a hub of sorts of a few different Craigslist geo locations and don't mind a couple hour drive to buy a bike. The only tools that I need to buy, based on the Rudge restore, is an adjustable hook spanner for the BB lock rings and a good quality 16mm cone wrench.

73emgee 09-28-13 07:47 AM

Great name, "Casey Jones". These old Black British bikes seem to share many traits with old steam locomotives. Good luck on your lighting conversion, LED's are a great match with the Dynohub.

noglider 09-28-13 08:06 AM

You may eventually need some Whitworth spanners (wrenches). Metric and SAE wrenches don't fit some Whitworth nuts. Or do you have the wrenches already?

What did you have to do to fix up the Rudge?

Gasbag 09-28-13 08:24 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16112043)
You may eventually need some Whitworth spanners (wrenches). Metric and SAE wrenches don't fit some Whitworth nuts. Or do you have the wrenches already?

What did you have to do to fix up the Rudge?

Being a truck mechanic, I have a well stocked tool box though I don't have any whitworth. As a last resort, I use Snap On adjustable wrenches when the prospect of buggering a hex looks imminent. Nothing can foul the air of my shop with blue language faster than tools that perform poorly. There may be a whitworth purchase in the future. The Rudge required no tools that I don't already own but a properly fitting lock ring spanner and a better quality 16mm cone wrench would have made the job easier.

Gasbag 09-28-13 08:45 AM

What did you have to do to fix up the Rudge?[/QUOTE]

The Rudge had dead paint which required a careful rub out with Scratch X. I used Wolfgang paint color enhancer followed by two applications of Wolfgang paint sealant to get the color to pop. All of the old battle scars were left intact save straightening a fender stay. I used Fiebings horse saddle conditioner on the Brooks. The front hub was missing a bearing so I bought a bag of 100 grade 25 bearings from a local bearing dealer. All the small parts were hydro-sonically cleaned and then hand polished. I wiped the cable housings with a rag sprayed with carburetor cleaner and then rubbed paint sealer on them. All bearings were greased with Phil Woods finest. I filled the AS hub with Tri-Flow on my truing stand and spun & drained it until it ticked over nicely and the the fluid ran out clean. The chrome was lightly rusty so I hand polished it with chrome cleaner applied with aluminum foil.

A lot of work went into it, but I'm very satisfied with the outcome.

crank_addict 09-28-13 10:19 AM

What's the appropriate tire look for a late 50's clubman - gumwall or all black? (Black frame bike with 700C wide polished rims.)

David Newton 09-28-13 10:19 AM

Rudge was sold to Raleigh in 1943

JohnDThompson 09-28-13 10:37 AM


Originally Posted by Gasbag (Post 16112080)
a better quality 16mm cone wrench would have made the job easier.

Surely the Real Thing would be better:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/SA-cone-spanner.jpg

Gasbag 09-28-13 11:00 AM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 16112363)
Surely the Real Thing would be better:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/SA-cone-spanner.jpg


The right tool for the job. The search is on!

Sixty Fiver 09-28-13 11:43 AM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 16112363)
Surely the Real Thing would be better:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/SA-cone-spanner.jpg

I bought a number of these a few years ago.

JohnDThompson 09-28-13 04:28 PM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 16112509)
I bought a number of these a few years ago.

Same here. They seem to turn up in batch lots on eBay occasionally.

JBC353 09-29-13 05:27 AM

+1 on the Whitworth wrenches. Working on the old Raleighs got a lot easier when I finally broke down and bought a set. A mix of metric and SAE had been mostly adequate but I was a lot happier with wrenches that fit correctly.

Gasbag 09-29-13 06:20 AM


Originally Posted by crank_addict (Post 16112314)
What's the appropriate tire look for a late 50's clubman - gumwall or all black? (Black frame bike with 700C wide polished rims.)

I've seen both. In the videos "Cyclists Special" parts 1 & 2 the bikes are on predominately blackwall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGYng...ature=youtu.be

In catalog scans for Raleigh Lentons and Hercules Kestrels they have both choices.

My 1962 Hercules clubman has old Camel gumwalls that have a real nice orange color but are too dry cracked to ride on. It will get another set of gumwalls when it gets it turn on the repair stand.

So, I guess the answer is either, according to your tastes.

noglider 09-29-13 10:12 AM


Originally Posted by David Newton (Post 16112315)
Rudge was sold to Raleigh in 1943

Really! I didn't know that. My Rudge still has the distinctive Rudge fork crown, which I love. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the chainring with the logo.

Gasbag 09-29-13 10:36 AM

My Rudge doesn't have the hand chainring either. If I ever have the good fortune to locate one in good condition and priced fairly, it will be installed promptly. The hand is a defining feature of the Rudge-Whitworth after all.

Raleigh bought Rudge to avoid living up to their exclusive territory obligations. If a shop in a town already sold Raleigh and another shop wanted to sell them, the second shop was provided with the Rudge brand. This also goes to explain the relative scarcity of Rudge-Whitworth bicycles.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.