Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Sixty Fiver 08-19-11 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by P_M (Post 13103873)
If it was '60s and black I'd be asking my parents for a loan. I still might. And it's 10 minutes away from home.

The sticker on the downtube looks like it's from a local shop but I'm trying to remember if it was George's Cycle or Western Cycle.

Welcome to Bike Forums...

Western and George's both sold Raleigh during this period but I can't make out the shop sticker... thought I knew most of the Raleigh Superbes in this city and believe this bike has spent most of it' life in storage.

$350.00 is not a bad price if the bike has been serviced or serviced recently.

P_M 08-19-11 10:44 AM

Thanks Sixty Fiver. I see you're in YEG too.

Yeah, this thing looks very clean from the pictures. I've been looking at a B66 for my bike, but this might derail the purchase.

cobrabyte 08-19-11 10:51 AM

That's a beaut. If you can scrounge up the funds, buy it. That's a bike you can keep the rest of your life. A worthwhile purchase :-)

Sixty Fiver 08-19-11 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by P_M (Post 13103980)
Thanks Sixty Fiver. I see you're in YEG too.

Yeah, this thing looks very clean from the pictures. I've been looking at a B66 for my bike, but this might derail the purchase.

Right now I am in PDX where a bike like that Raleigh would sell for quite a bit more... sold my Superbe 3 years ago for a similar amount and it was in nearly the same condition.

These are beautiful bicycles... I do not expect this one to last long.

noglider 08-19-11 11:13 AM

P_M, you're better off with the bike you have. If you have the time, you'll save money getting it into nice condition. In the meantime, you can ride it, which is the most important thing.

P_M 08-19-11 11:24 AM

Thanks noglider. I actually took my Sports to the local co-op on Sunday and replaced the tubes and repacked the headset. It still needs a good cleaning - maybe this weekend. I picked up some Phil Wood's oil for the back hub but haven't added it yet.

Sunday night maybe I'll get back to it.

Moneywise the timing of this Superbe isn't great but we don't get to pick when they show up. :)

Sixty Fiver 08-19-11 11:39 AM

P_M - If you were down at Bikeworks there are two red oil cans on the back west counter... one has 20w and the other has synthetic oil for internal hubs.

The synthetic is especially nice for those of us who ride our three speeds in the winter as it keeps them spinning smoothly when other heavier lubes get far too sticky in the cold.

P_M 08-19-11 12:07 PM

Sixty Fiver, thanks for the tip. Yes, I was at Bikeworks - was it the back counter near the solvent tank?

I might be back there this week.

Sixty Fiver 08-19-11 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by P_M (Post 13104410)
Sixty Fiver, thanks for the tip. Yes, I was at Bikeworks - was it the back counter near the solvent tank?

I might be back there this week.

We only have on bike co-op although a second location is in the works and yes... all the lubes are in the back corner.

Will probably run into you there when I get back as I spend a little time down at EBC... have sat on the board and am a long time volunteer and former staff member as well.

noglider 08-19-11 12:20 PM

I don't know why people lust after the Superbe so much. It doesn't ride any differently. It just has accessories you can add anyway.

horribleoldman 08-19-11 12:25 PM

how'dy'all gear your bikes? main gear in the middle with a higher and lower, or mail gear at the bottom with 2 higher?

gna 08-19-11 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 13104478)
I don't know why people lust after the Superbe so much. It doesn't ride any differently. It just has accessories you can add anyway.

Oh, reason not the need!
Though I suppose what you say is true. My Sports came with a B66, and I am building up a GH6 Dynohub into a wheel, so I'm mostly there. I also have a S5 hub that I will build up, too.

gna 08-19-11 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by horribleoldman (Post 13104503)
how'dy'all gear your bikes? main gear in the middle with a higher and lower, or mail gear at the bottom with 2 higher?

Main gear in the middle. I have a 21T cog on my Sports. Saves my knees some.

noglider 08-19-11 01:03 PM

I put a 22T on mine. Much, much better. But I had to sell that cog, so I'm going to put a 24T on it next. I don't need to pedal downhill, so I'll have three low gears.

P_M 08-19-11 01:22 PM

I suppose in this case it's the condition and it being an English bike (my Sports happens to be a Canadian model - NTTAWWT).

If it was an English '60s black Sports, I'd be even more enthused!

To be fair, the front hub and lights - I guess that's the only real difference I can see. A light set is on my list. I don't need a rear rack.

Sixty Fiver 08-19-11 04:00 PM

It was Raleigh's top of the line light roadster and was not sold as a Sports but rather, listed alongside the Tourist, and sold for a fair bit more because of the extras that were even lacking on the Tourist.

The rear rack, locking fork, hub generator, and lights are some nice accessories that are not that easy to find and building up a wheel with a generator hub for a Sports will cost over $100.00.

A Sports in primo shape would fetch $160-$200 here in a private sale... the extra $150 - $190 one would pay for a Superbe in equally primo shape covers the value of the rack, improved fork, and generator lighting.

djkashuba 08-19-11 08:32 PM

Recent purchase '68 Sports. Amazing how Raleigh Chrome and Paint hold up. Packing bearings tomorrow if I can find the right sizes in town....

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/...d7969ee4_b.jpg
'68 Raleigh Stem Cranks Bars by djk762, on Flickr

auchencrow 08-19-11 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by horribleoldman (Post 13104503)

I have a 22T on one of my bikes and I ride the top gear all the time. The other two are for climbing walls I guess.
The 18T on my other 3-speeds feels about right to me - 2nd gear is my main gear there.

auchencrow 08-19-11 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by djkashuba (Post 13106510)
Recent purchase '68 Sports. Amazing how Raleigh Chrome and Paint hold up. Packing bearings tomorrow if I can find the right sizes in town....

Great photo! Can't wait to see the rest.

noglider 08-19-11 08:41 PM

Sixty Fiver, thanks for pointing out what makes the Superbe worth so much more. Now they don't seem overpriced to me.

Auchencrow, what kind of hills do you have? I find the 22T barely adequate. It's a heavy bike, and I have steep hills, and I sometimes tow a lot of cargo in a trailer. Hmm, the bike wasn't really built for that purpose, so I guess I'm doing well.

P_M 08-19-11 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by djkashuba (Post 13106510)

I couldn't help but notice the other pictures on the Flickr link... A black '60s Sports. That is one beautiful bike. Congratulations!

noglider 08-19-11 09:23 PM

I think that bike might be older than 1968. The typeface on the chainguard looks like early 60's.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6090/...1547e201_z.jpg

djkashuba 08-19-11 09:48 PM

Hub is '68 so I assumed. I will look for a serial number and try to nail it down proper. I think this bike will clean up very well.

-D

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 13106655)
I think that bike might be older than 1968. The typeface on the chainguard looks like early 60's.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6090/...1547e201_z.jpg

lostarchitect 08-19-11 09:53 PM

My main gear is the middle, the sprocket is 18t. Low for climbing, and high when I feel zippy.

djkashuba 08-19-11 10:18 PM

"I couldn't help but notice the other pictures on the Flickr link... A black '60s Sports. That is one beautiful bike. Congratulations!" P_M

Thanks P_M. This thread inspired this purchase as well as providing the knowledge (I hope) to tune this bike up without screwing it up.

-D