Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What to consider when buying a dedicated bike for trainer? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238267)

kosmo886 09-07-21 05:52 AM

What to consider when buying a dedicated bike for trainer?

So, I am new to having an indoor trainer and plan to use one all winter. I am a bit concerned about the wear and sweat accumulation etc. on my road bike, so considering getting a bike to just use on a trainer. I have the Wahoo Kickr and Climb, so really don't even need the wheels. Is the groupset even remotely important? I don't think so given it would mostly be in ERG mode and controlled by the kickr. I assume I want something with reasonably similar geometry to my road bike, but other than that, anything I should pay more for or prioritize? I am going to go with a used bike and keep the cost down.

rdmn 09-07-21 06:19 AM

Compatibility of the frame with the kickr.

PeteHski 09-07-21 10:07 AM

Geometry is not important as there are no "handling" requirements on the trainer. Obviously you want the size to fit you reasonably well (stack & reach in the ballpark), but it's nowhere near as critical as when riding outdoors. Groupset doesn't really matter as you have figured.
Don't forget to budget for a huge, powerful fan!

spelger 09-07-21 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by kosmo886 (Post 22218719)
So, I am new to having an indoor trainer and plan to use one all winter. I am a bit concerned about the wear and sweat accumulation etc. on my road bike, so considering getting a bike to just use on a trainer. I have the Wahoo Kickr and Climb, so really don't even need the wheels. Is the groupset even remotely important? I don't think so given it would mostly be in ERG mode and controlled by the kickr. I assume I want something with reasonably similar geometry to my road bike, but other than that, anything I should pay more for or prioritize? I am going to go with a used bike and keep the cost down.

ERG will only control resistance during training. you will still need to shift on your own. and eventually if you decide to try zwift or rgt or rouvy you will likely try the simulated routes where there is no erg mode but only grade simulation. you will shift in these virtual worlds too. it is supposed to be like riding outside. they do the best they can do.

when you get all set up you can try all of those listed for free, about a week or two then decide on one or more.

alcjphil 09-07-21 10:35 AM

The good news: you only need a front wheel and you don't need brakes

Iride01 09-07-21 11:02 AM

How nice is your current road bike? If it lacks anything you want then you might consider putting it on your trainer and purchasing your dream bike for the road instead.

Of course you might just use your current bike this winter and then have a better selection for either way you go when inventory is better. Hopefully mid summer 2022.

burnthesheep 09-07-21 11:10 AM

TBH, given the cost you've spent........why oh why not do some Zwift or RGT or something? How is the climb unit fun without it? Road grade simulation was why that existed. To use erg instead just seems, blah.

As for sweat, or bike wear and tear it just depends how good a steward you are on bike washes and covering the headset area or bars with a towel and how much fan action you have. The more covered, the more fan action, more routine bike washing.......better.

The biggest issue here is cheaper fasteners and also alloy handlebars. People don't change their bar tape ever and the corrosion eats under the bar tape. If you wash your bikes and do some bar tape like 2x a year.......should be fine with your bike as-is.

Eric F 09-07-21 11:43 AM

My primary concern would be getting the fit as close to my road bike as possible. As long as the shifting works consistently well, the level of components doesn't matter. I would want something that I feel is robust enough to handle max. efforts of 1200W+ without an issue.

genejockey 09-07-21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by alcjphil (Post 22219169)
The good news: you only need a front wheel and you don't need brakes

And with a Kickr Climb, you don't even need that!

genejockey 09-07-21 11:55 AM

Even if your bike is to be a dedicated trainer bike, get a sweatguard and towels.

Iride01 09-07-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22219300)
Even if your bike is to be a dedicated trainer bike, get a sweatguard and towels.

And a good box fan or pole mounted fan.

genejockey 09-07-21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22219355)
And a good box fan or pole mounted fan.

I always run 2 fans, plus I add a 3rd for hard efforts and/or warm days.

spelger 09-07-21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22219274)
My primary concern would be getting the fit as close to my road bike as possible. As long as the shifting works consistently well, the level of components doesn't matter. I would want something that I feel is robust enough to handle max. efforts of 1200W+ without an issue.

1200 watts he says. i'll never come close to that if i live to 100.

surak 09-07-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 22219227)
TBH, given the cost you've spent........why oh why not do some Zwift or RGT or something? How is the climb unit fun without it? Road grade simulation was why that existed. To use erg instead just seems, blah.

Yeah, no workout app or platform that I know of will adjust tilt in erg mode, the Climb will just be an expensive riser block if that's all you use.

I put my best bike on my Kickr without reservation. I wear gloves, headband, and use a sweat guard plus multiple fans so that there's less wear on it than on outside rides. Of course having a dedicated bike is fine too, but I have a rain bike so I don't mind leaving my best bike on the trainer through the rainy season.

genejockey 09-07-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22219397)

And the closer to 100 you get, the less likely it will be!

Eric F 09-07-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22219397)

One thing I've always been reasonably good at on a bike is peak power. My FTP, however, is pretty mediocre. My w/kg @ FTP is also less than impressive.

bblair 09-08-21 01:37 PM

Fans, towels....all that stuff. I have no reservations about using my CF Trek, with one problem. I need a much better seat! Not much standing or changing positions on Zwift, so it gets pretty sore down there.

caloso 09-08-21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22219361)
I always run 2 fans, plus I add a 3rd for hard efforts and/or warm days.

Same. I have big pedestal fan and an air mover that I put just in front of my front wheel, angled up to blast my chest.

tomato coupe 09-08-21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bblair (Post 22221262)
I need a much better seat! Not much standing or changing positions on Zwift, so it gets pretty sore down there.

Why no standing on Zwift?

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 22221322)
Same. I have big pedestal fan and an air mover that I put just in front of my front wheel, angled up to blast my chest.

What's an air mover?

caloso 09-08-21 05:38 PM

It's a ducted fan that I use to dry out my basement floor when it seeps in the winter. (We've been in a drought so haven't had to use it for that purpose in a while). It really blasts the air in a directed jet.

https://cdn2.ridgid.com/resources/im...b-f3dffcd4e821

jaxgtr 09-08-21 09:26 PM

I need to find a fan that pushes lots of air, but is more quiet than what I have. I just have a 20 directional box fax and it works great, but is really loud.

ussprinceton 09-11-21 05:30 AM

here are the bikes that I use

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d6c04e3adf.jpg

Ed Wiser 09-11-21 08:36 AM

I found that standard box fans don’t move enough air to keep me cool so I use squirt cage fans.
Lasko U12104 High Velocity Pro Pivoting Utility Fan for Cooling, Ventilating, Exhausting and Drying at Home, Job Site and Work Shop, Black 12104 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YKXF9VC...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I put all my fans on a single power strip so I can turn them all on at the same time.

Last year I bought a Wahoo Kickr bike and love it. Glad to get rid of all the chain noise and maintenance. As well as being able to run any gearing I want. An I can use Campagnolo, Shimano, and Shram shifting. Would never go back to a standard smart trainer again. An I have tilt for the rides.

bblair 09-11-21 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=tomato coupe;22221577]Why no standing on Zwift?

It just seems awkward to me. I have a Wahoo wheel-on smart trainer, but not the "Climb" accessory. When climbing IRL the front wheel is elevated, but not on a trainer.

BTW, I can't fathom why some here need multiple fans or those huge ones. I ride pretty hard (for me) but a single one close by does the job.

MinnMan 09-11-21 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22219274)

Certainly the saddle position relative to the pedals has to be right. I find that the position of the bars, not so much. On the road, I'm riding the hoods mostly, but on the trainer, I've got a big fat towel draped over the bars and my hands are at some intermediate position that actually isn't even possible on the road. Though granted, I do spend some time in the drops on the trainer - to vary the muscles being worked and to keep the core solid - and for that the position should be close.