Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1227239)

rjones28 04-15-21 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22015579)
Howed they come out?

Round and true, natch.

indyfabz 04-15-21 04:50 AM

Happy National Glazed Spiral Ham Day!

phrantic09 04-15-21 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22015229)
Survey time:

How many spokes do you currently have on-hand?

Not counting what's built into a wheel ;)

zero

bampilot06 04-15-21 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22015485)
Woohoo, after much fiddling around, it looks like this Origin8 fatbike front derailleur adapter, which is made for the other type e-type derailleur, oriented upside down will work just fine if I drill a hole in it for the "Bracket Fixing Bolt B".

With the drive side cup tightened down, it actually holds everything in place without said bolt, but I'd feel a lot better with a bolt in place. Bolt finding, hole drilling and tapping will have to wait til tomorrow night though.

Gonna be pretty psyched to go 2x on this thing. Will have to be 2x10 for a while til I can trade an 11-46 for an 11-42. Shimano says the rear derailleur isn't happy with 2x and a 46T big cog. Oh, I guess I have to dig up another chainring too.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6a7635d979.jpg

I want to see the whole bike, not just the tease.

Trsnrtr 04-15-21 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22015229)
Survey time:

How many spokes do you currently have on-hand?

Not counting what's built into a wheel ;)

I'm not dumping the boxes to check for anybody. Let's just say a few.

bampilot06 04-15-21 05:43 AM

woke up with two questions this morning.

My cervelo BB is a Bbright 24x90. I found the replacement, but if I wanted to go with something else can I? Is there a simple way to see what is compatible?

If I wanted to replace the bearings in my superteam wheels, do I need to figure out what specific size bearings these wheels take.

Did a light google search last night on both of these topics. Didn’t get very far. Not an emergency, just curious.

Trsnrtr 04-15-21 05:57 AM

Quick spoke story:

Many years ago, I came in from the field when my secretary told me that we had a copier repairman working on our machine and was totally flummoxed. I checked on him and he had manuals and schematics all laid out on our break room table, meanwhile tapping his forehead with a spoke. I had been using a spoke for a book mark in a tech manual and it had evidently fallen into the machine while I was making a print copy.

He had found it during routine maintenance and was trying to figure out where this threaded hooked thing was supposed to go in our machine.

indyfabz 04-15-21 06:09 AM

What does one wear to a vaccination? Don’t think I’ve had one since I was a wee little thing.

abshipp 04-15-21 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22015655)
I'm not dumping the boxes to check for anybody. Let's just say a few.

I'm cheap thrifty and spokes are more expensive than I want them to be, so it really helps me out to know how many I have on hand.

Of course, knowing what length they are just ensures that the ones I have in stock are never the correct length, but it makes me feel better inside :lol:

rjones28 04-15-21 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22015669)
Quick spoke story:

Many years ago, I came in from the field when my secretary told me that we had a copier repairman working on our machine and was totally flummoxed. I checked on him and he had manuals and schematics all laid out on our break room table, meanwhile tapping his forehead with a spoke. I had been using a spoke for a book mark in a tech manual and it had evidently fallen into the machine while I was making a print copy.

He had found it during routine maintenance and was trying to figure out where this threaded hooked thing was supposed to go in our machine.

:lol:

rjones28 04-15-21 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22015674)
What does one wear to a vaccination? Don’t think I’ve had one since I was a wee little thing.

Sleeveless t-shirt. ;)

rjones28 04-15-21 06:19 AM

FYI, they don't give you a lollipop after your shot.

WhyFi 04-15-21 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22015684)
FYI, they don't give you a lollipop after your shot.

:(

Wife and I are finally scheduled for 4/20.... for the vaccine, that is - not to get high.

MoAlpha 04-15-21 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22015660)

My cervelo BB is a Bbright 24x90. I found the replacement, but if I wanted to go with something else can I? Is there a simple way to see what is compatible?

If I wanted to replace the bearings in my superteam wheels, do I need to figure out what specific size bearings these wheels take.

Did a light google search last night on both of these topics. Didn’t get very far. Not an emergency, just curious.

Your choice on the BB is 100% constrained to that spec unless you go to a crankset with a 30mm spindle or something.

As for the wheels, look up the hub on the mfgr's web site and it should specify a bearing size.

Why are you thinking of replacing this stuff?

Koyote 04-15-21 06:41 AM

A shirt with at least one short sleeve.

WhyFi 04-15-21 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22015660)

Your shell is BBright. Your bottom bracket is whatever they installed to get you to the crank compatibility that you wanted. Did you get it from Excel and are you running Shimano cranks? If so, it's likely a Wheels Manufacturing BBright Out1 or something along those lines.

I wouldn't do anything with the wheels, yet. No real reason to until they give you reason to. But yeah, you need to find out the bearing size/model; see if you can find some markings indicating the hub model and search that way, rather than searching for the wheelset model.

rjones28 04-15-21 07:00 AM

Sitting at the Firestone shop getting the summer tires put on the VW. The waiting area TV is tuned to some infomercial channel. Currently, playing one for "Car Shield". They want me to be afraid that my tire swap and alignment could cost me THOUSANDS of dollars. :twitchy:

Mojo31 04-15-21 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22015681)
I'm cheap thrifty and spokes are more expensive than I want them to be, so it really helps me out to know how many I have on hand.

Of course, knowing what length they are just ensures that the ones I have in stock are never the correct length, but it makes me feel better inside :lol:

Did you hear about the perfect game thrown by the softball player from UNT? Struck out every batter.

datlas 04-15-21 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22015721)
Sitting at the Firestone shop getting the summer tires put on the VW. The waiting area TV is tuned to some infomercial channel. Currently, playing one for "Car Shield". They want me to be afraid that my tire swap and alignment could cost me THOUSANDS of dollars. :twitchy:

Are you running tubeless??

seedsbelize 04-15-21 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22015403)
unsure. I brought a bulk of of bike parts once. there is a box of boxes of spokes. I'm guessing lots and lots as the box with the spokes in is really heavy.

My box of spokes felt like it weighed 20 pounds, at one time. I've built a few wheels since.

seedsbelize 04-15-21 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22015432)
In other spoke news, I finally made a reasonable effort to true the plus bike wheels I built a while ago. I mean, disc breaks, so who cares, right?

Even though the front wheel fits in the truing stand, I already had the masking tape out to do the rear wheel which doesn't fit in the truing stand, so I figured I'd stick with that :)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1335c6b5a4.jpg

Truing it with tire on. I've never had any success with that.

bampilot06 04-15-21 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22015702)
Your shell is BBright. Your bottom bracket is whatever they installed to get you to the crank compatibility that you wanted. Did you get it from Excel and are you running Shimano cranks? If so, it's likely a Wheels Manufacturing BBright Out1 or something along those lines.

I wouldn't do anything with the wheels, yet. No real reason to until they give you reason to. But yeah, you need to find out the bearing size/model; see if you can find some markings indicating the hub model and search that way, rather than searching for the wheelset model.

It’s just what the bike came with, I didn’t pick anything but yea it’s a shimano crank.

Not planning on replacing either now, was just thinking ahead. The cervelo has been making a knocking noise when I pedal slow under load for a while now. Hasn’t gotten worse but in the eventuality it does just wanted to be prepared.

Wheels are fine too, just did more reading on them and the bearings seem to be only major complaint. Coming up on almost 2000 miles on them and they are still going strong.
They sell the wheels now with ceramic bearings as an option, I didnt see that when mine were ordered.

seedsbelize 04-15-21 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22015628)
zero

You don't keep one for unplugging the kitchen sink drain?

phrantic09 04-15-21 08:14 AM

I went shirtless

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22015807)
You don't keep one for unplugging the kitchen sink drain?

That’s what the plumber is for

phrantic09 04-15-21 08:23 AM

I skipped riding this AM, it was supposed to rain- guess what it didn’t do?

weather is supposed to suck tomorrow, so unlikely to ride then either and have a birthday celebration with the family Saturday so my mileage is likely to be low this week.