Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LesterOfPuppets 04-29-20 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21445602)
Related: Spot any roadkill?

Just one red pigeon. I didn't get out to the desert at all today.

abshipp 04-29-20 11:44 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21445590)
If I get another it'll probably be something that can take 700Cx28/650Bx47 but with a roadie-style fit. Current leader in the clubhouse is next year's Milwaukee Mettle, but there are options. Just something to be different from the R2, and be a disc brake option for events to maintain wheel compatibility with AG's SystemSix.

That's a neat bike. Hard to go wrong with Waterford-built steel :thumb:

Have you taken a look at that geometry table though :twitchy: What size would you take?

My current idea for a gravel build is predicated on being able to get my old MTB frame repaired. I'm pretty confident that I would be able to get a good drop-bar fit on it, I would just need a nice long rigid fork on it to keep the geometry in line. Chainstays have clearance for 29x2.2 knobbies, so I'd likely run something along the lines of a 700x48-50 :D

sfrider 04-29-20 11:44 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21445027)
I like your bike sir.

Best riding bike I've ever owned. I absolutely love this thing!

sfrider 04-29-20 11:46 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21445031)
Are those buttercups?? Does the bike like butter??

The flowers? They're California poppies.

The motor runs on butter.

bampilot06 04-29-20 11:54 AM


Originally Posted by sfrider (Post 21445611)
Best riding bike I've ever owned. I absolutely love this thing!

c3 or c5?

seedsbelize 04-29-20 11:55 AM

My home town


sfrider 04-29-20 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21445117)
There are a few restaurants in Mpls that have camel burgers. I think that the frozen part is more daring than the camel part.

I ate camel kebabs in Australia (Alice Springs area) - by far the toughest, hardest, chewiest meat I've ever tried to eat. Six-hour chili stuff.

BillyD 04-29-20 12:02 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21445341)
turns out stories about dolphins can do the same thing :)

lovely memories, thank you for sharing :beer:

+1. :beer:

Bah Humbug 04-29-20 12:09 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21445610)
That's a neat bike. Hard to go wrong with Waterford-built steel :thumb:

Have you taken a look at that geometry table though :twitchy: What size would you take?

My current idea for a gravel build is predicated on being able to get my old MTB frame repaired. I'm pretty confident that I would be able to get a good drop-bar fit on it, I would just need a nice long rigid fork on it to keep the geometry in line. Chainstays have clearance for 29x2.2 knobbies, so I'd likely run something along the lines of a 700x48-50 :D

I have; are you thinking it's too low? I have short legs and a long torso, and my favorite stack/reach combo so far is my S1 at 560/394. One of the issues with gravel bikes for me is how upright they are; from what I see my desire might be more in line with "all-road", if that really means "gravel clearance, road geometry". All of these terms seem to be used rather loosely, though. Very little risk of me suddenly racing DK.

Bah Humbug 04-29-20 12:12 PM

Oh and since I completely missed answering part of your question, I'd take a 56. Slammed and a 110+ stem for road; raise the stem if I do want more stack for gravel at some point. This all assumes they don't relax the geo when they redo it this winter (per their email to me, when they'll also add 650B compatibility).

sfrider 04-29-20 12:14 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21445622)
c3 or c5?

c3

Velo Vol 04-29-20 12:14 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21445626)
My home town


I don't do much downtown, though. Most riding is to the west.

BillyD 04-29-20 12:14 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21445585)
we have winds from the SE, I managed to get out for 20- the winds were around 9 when I started but 14ish by the time I finished.

You have some type of mobile wind measuring device or are you relying on a home device?

abshipp 04-29-20 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21445651)
I have; are you thinking it's too low? I have short legs and a long torso, and my favorite stack/reach combo so far is my S1 at 560/394. One of the issues with gravel bikes for me is how upright they are; from what I see my desire might be more in line with "all-road", if that really means "gravel clearance, road geometry". All of these terms seem to be used rather loosely, though. Very little risk of me suddenly racing DK.

I was more talking about how between the smallest and largest sizes, the head tube and seat tube angles vary by 2.5. I get it, since they're CX bikes toe overlap could be a concern on the smaller sizes, but that's a pretty striking difference.

Although looking at a small sample of CX bikes from Specialized, Canyon, and Trek, they do the same thing. Canyon at least keeps the seat tube angle the same through all the sizes. I guess since pro CX is locked in to 700c wheels some weird geometry comes out at the smaller sizes.

I think you're probably right in your differentiation between gravel and all road.

rjones28 04-29-20 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21445659)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlF4Mol2cAM

I don't do much downtown, though. Most riding is to the west.

No action shots of the ball dropping? Sad.

Bah Humbug 04-29-20 12:38 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21445675)
I was more talking about how between the smallest and largest sizes, the head tube and seat tube angles vary by 2.5. I get it, since they're CX bikes toe overlap could be a concern on the smaller sizes, but that's a pretty striking difference.

Although looking at a small sample of CX bikes from Specialized, Canyon, and Trek, they do the same thing. Canyon at least keeps the seat tube angle the same through all the sizes. I guess since pro CX is locked in to 700c wheels some weird geometry comes out at the smaller sizes.

I think you're probably right in your differentiation between gravel and all road.

In my experience, that changing of HTA and STA at the extreme sizes is more common than not. Fortunately, it's one of the things that I don't have to worry about since I'm just about always in the exact middle of sizing.

WhyFi 04-29-20 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21445599)
I don't have a fancy PM but I do have a sense of my power from Zwift rides, and I have been looking at the power estimates from Strava. I do think they are reasonably close for solo rides. Clearly they do NOT take into account wind and other factors, but for a very rough approximation it's not half bad. I would guess it's within 20% of reality for an entire ride. For segments the error rate is a bit higher, of course.

Has anyone compared what Strava says and what your PM says to see if my observation is consistent?

It's hard to say exactly, because I've never recorded a ride on two devices simultaneously (one with power, one without), but I think that it tends to estimate a little low for me. Part of it may be just because of the way that I ride - I tend to be very torque-happy and I have high-ish peaks. For a ride average, yeah, it's probably within your estimated 20%, but that's pretty damn significant unless you're putzing around. On segments? Forget about it, unless it's uphill and at least moderately long.

Velo Vol 04-29-20 01:09 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21445690)
No action shots of the ball dropping? Sad.

I should arrange for drone footage of me zooming past the Brown Squirrel and other West Knox County landmarks.

Viral content, probably.

datlas 04-29-20 01:15 PM


Originally Posted by sfrider (Post 21445613)
The flowers? They're California poppies.

The motor runs on butter.

Oh, ok. I thought they were buttercups. You know, the wild flower that if you put under your chin and your chin turns yellow, it means you like butter.

#ChildhoodUrbanLegend

seedsbelize 04-29-20 01:22 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21445659)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlF4Mol2cAM

I don't do much downtown, though. Most riding is to the west.

I can see why. Most of my riding is to the East

seedsbelize 04-29-20 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21445590)
If I get another it'll probably be something that can take 700Cx28/650Bx47 but with a roadie-style fit. Current leader in the clubhouse is next year's Milwaukee Mettle, but there are options. Just something to be different from the R2, and be a disc brake option for events to maintain wheel compatibility with AG's SystemSix.

How much is the complete bike? More-or-less

indyfabz 04-29-20 01:33 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21445607)
Just one red pigeon. I didn't get out to the desert at all today.

So it was dead and red. That sucks doubly.

Bah Humbug 04-29-20 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21445780)
How much is the complete bike? More-or-less

Just under $3k with 105 hydro and their in-house fork..

indyfabz 04-29-20 01:56 PM

In advance of TBT I scanned it as a jpeg. Wish the water bottles matched.


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7cf586e6b5.jpg

datlas 04-29-20 02:31 PM

Whither patentcad? I hope he did not succumb to the virus. I heard that the elderly are more vulnerable.

ps last login was March 12th. Hmmm....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.