Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 06-10-20 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21525540)
Not being able to eat all of the delicious, delicious food.

Exactly.

WhyFi 06-10-20 07:11 AM

Speaking of which, I'm currently back in active loss mode, tracking input and output. It's really not fun the first week or so, but gets to be normal thereafter. Seeing results is nice, though. Currently at ~187, I'd like to get down to/stay consistently under 180 for the season.

seedsbelize 06-10-20 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21525548)
Speaking of which, I'm currently back in active loss mode, tracking input and output. It's really not fun the first week or so, but gets to be normal thereafter. Seeing results is nice, though. Currently at ~187, I'd like to get down to/stay consistently under 180 for the season.

I'm shooting for 170, from 185. Actually I'm shooting for 165, but I haven't experienced that weight in maybe 30 years.
Keep us posted on your progress. I can feel like I'm in competition with you.

Velo Vol 06-10-20 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21525532)
But at what cost?

Not much.

abshipp 06-10-20 07:49 AM

So my responsibilities at my job are changing a little bit and I'll be using Solidworks a lot more. My old laptop would just barely run the software so I switched to a different one.

The good news is that the computer runs the program quite well.

The bad news is that for some reason the 3.5mm audio output sounds like absolute garbage, so I have to figure out another solution. Maybe it is finally time to get some bluetooth headphones and hope that whatever terrible thing happens at the 3.5mm output is isolated there.

WhyFi 06-10-20 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21525614)
So my responsibilities at my job are changing a little bit and I'll be using Solidworks a lot more. My old laptop would just barely run the software so I switched to a different one.

The good news is that the computer runs the program quite well.

The bad news is that for some reason the 3.5mm audio output sounds like absolute garbage, so I have to figure out another solution. Maybe it is finally time to get some bluetooth headphones and hope that whatever terrible thing happens at the 3.5mm output is isolated there.

Analog outputs are often ****ty. In addition to bluetooth, you could look at a USB dongle DAC/headphone amp

Velo Vol 06-10-20 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21525604)
Not much.

Most food is gross when you really think about it.

bampilot06 06-10-20 07:57 AM

Last night was hell. Was scheduled to land at 930, I didnít get home til 2 am. It has kind of soured the day for me.

LAJ 06-10-20 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21525626)

I had some raspberry cider, and it was delicious.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bf1e6a7c04.jpg

Most food isn't gross. Even though all I am is a processor at this point, it still tastes good.

abshipp 06-10-20 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21525623)
Analog outputs are often ****ty. In addition to bluetooth, you could look at a USB dongle DAC/headphone amp

I'm not expecting perfection, but it's really unlistenable. Thankfully I figured out that audio is being sent to my main monitor over HDMI and there's a 3.5mm jack on the back of the monitor. Need to bring an extension from home to really make it usable in a non-annoying way. The headphone cable running across my keyboard isn't a sustainable solution :lol:

I've got a Focusrite recording interface at the house that I use as a DAC for my desktop, running into one of those cheap class D amps that drive a set of bookshelf speakers. I rarely use that setup but it's definitely a treat whenever I do. I'm sure some audiophiles would listen in disgust but it sounds great to me.

big john 06-10-20 08:16 AM

I was slowly losing a little weight until Mrs John was suddenly inspired to start sabotaging me with pasta salads, fried rice dishes, and banana breads. If it's there I'll eat it.

Velo Vol 06-10-20 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21525656)
I had some raspberry cider

You proved my point!

WhyFi 06-10-20 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21525667)
I'm not expecting perfection, but it's really unlistenable. Thankfully I figured out that audio is being sent to my main monitor over HDMI and there's a 3.5mm jack on the back of the monitor. Need to bring an extension from home to really make it usable in a non-annoying way. The headphone cable running across my keyboard isn't a sustainable solution :lol:

I've got a Focusrite recording interface at the house that I use as a DAC for my desktop, running into one of those cheap class D amps that drive a set of bookshelf speakers. I rarely use that setup but it's definitely a treat whenever I do. I'm sure some audiophiles would listen in disgust but it sounds great to me.

I'm currently running a AudioQuest Dragonfly USB DAC/preamp in to a little Parasound amp... and in to some $4000 speakers. Yeah, I didn't have anything better to do with them and I can't bear to get rid of them. :o

WhyFi 06-10-20 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21525626)

Incorrect. :notamused:

WhyFi 06-10-20 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21525675)
I was slowly losing a little weight until Mrs John was suddenly inspired to start sabotaging me with pasta salads, fried rice dishes, and banana breads. If it's there I'll eat it.

My biggest challenge is when there's a whole cake or pie in the house. A slice is one thing - if I don't have the deficit to eat it one day, I can wait until the next. When there's a multiple slices to be had, my mind goes flips flops over not letting it go to waste and not wanting to indulge.

big john 06-10-20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21525746)
My biggest challenge is when there's a whole cake or pie in the house. A slice is one thing - if I don't have the deficit to eat it one day, I can wait until the next. When there's a multiple slices to be had, my mind goes flips flops over not letting it go to waste and not wanting to indulge.

Yep to the second part. When she makes a pasta salad, it's a big bowl so we have it for days...or until I start worrying it might get old.

seedsbelize 06-10-20 08:51 AM

The biggest factor in my current state of weight control is that fruit pie does not exist in this part of the world.

Trsnrtr 06-10-20 08:55 AM

I eat anything.

Bah Humbug 06-10-20 09:08 AM

Shockingly low temps this morning, but wow are those new tires (Michelin Power Protection+ before WhyFi gets excited) slow. Which actually works fine for me, Since they’re just for training.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...368fcbc4b.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7d3f157ae.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...12054dae7.jpeg

Yes the first one is overprocessed, but I enjoy that every once in a while.

Velo Vol 06-10-20 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21525801)
Shockingly low temps this morning

<==Not shocked

abshipp 06-10-20 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21525724)
I'm currently running a AudioQuest Dragonfly USB DAC/preamp in to a little Parasound amp... and in to some $4000 speakers. Yeah, I didn't have anything better to do with them and I can't bear to get rid of them. :o

Looks like I confused my amplifier classes, I've got the Topping TP22 class T amp driving a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR with the companion SW-10 powered sub helping the little 4" mains along.

It's been fine for nearfield office use but I've never really had a chance to push the speakers to see what they can really do since I've been living in a condo the whole time I've owned them.

datlas 06-10-20 09:48 AM

Did a socially distanced ride with 2 friends. It was very hot and humid. By the end of the ride it was 85F. A taste of summer.

Bah Humbug 06-10-20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21525841)
<==Not shocked

I put that in precisely for you. We had a heat advisory yesterday though, which has shifted the COTA sessions later to avoid it. Sadly, that means no COTA for me this year.

So not really #yearwithoutasummer .

abshipp 06-10-20 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21525889)
Did a socially distanced ride with 2 friends. It was very hot and humid. By the end of the ride it was 85F. A taste of summer.

Looks like one of the local clubs is starting group rides. Judging by some pictures they posted there's no pacelining involved. Also limiting riding groups to no more than 10.

WhyFi 06-10-20 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21525847)
Looks like I confused my amplifier classes, I've got the Topping TP22 class T amp driving a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR with the companion SW-10 powered sub helping the little 4" mains along.

It's been fine for nearfield office use but I've never really had a chance to push the speakers to see what they can really do since I've been living in a condo the whole time I've owned them.

Nice. I've been tempted to pick up some of the Andrew Jones Pioneers, such awesome BftB, but I've got more speakers than I know what to do with, at this point.