Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Mojo31 07-25-22 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22586719)
I was able to like post 1617 after it reappeared for a bit. But it's still gone now. Tried signing out for a bit. Didn't work. Maybe I have exceeded my like allowance for the last 24 hrs.?

With all the useful posts in GA yesterday, how could you not?

datlas 07-25-22 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22586719)
I was able to like post 1617 after it reappeared for a bit. But it's still gone now. Tried signing out for a bit. Didn't work. Maybe I have exceeded my like allowance for the last 24 hrs.?

Maybe it's not for cheapskates?? :innocent:

indyfabz 07-25-22 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22586750)
Maybe it's not for cheapskates?? :innocent:

Liked post immediately above and it disappeared again.

datlas 07-25-22 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22586756)
Liked post immediately above and it disappeared again.

Liked.

p.s. works ok for me, a fully paid member. :innocent:

genejockey 07-25-22 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22586642)
I hear tell you need 9.

My preference is to have as many pairs of bibs as days I ride in a week, so I never wear 'em twice before washing.

genejockey 07-25-22 08:47 AM

Got there eventually...
Wordle 401 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 07-25-22 08:57 AM

When riding alone, how far are you comfortable riding from your starting point (whether home, parking spot, or other)? Curious not about ride distance, but the amount of miles you would have to cover to get from your farthest point out back to your starting point.

datlas 07-25-22 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22586803)
When riding alone, how far are you comfortable riding from your starting point (whether home, parking spot, or other)? Curious not about ride distance, but the amount of miles you would have to cover to get from your farthest point out back to your starting point.

50-ish.

datlas 07-25-22 09:37 AM

So on yesterday's ride I heard a loud "SNAP" next to me, similar to a small firecracker, and assumed someone had a blowout flat. The guy next to me said it came from his rear tire, but interestingly his tire pressure was fine and there was no flat. He is running tubeless with sealant. So the reasonable conclusion is he had a sudden puncture that sealed itself. We stopped at a stop sign 30 seconds after the incident and there was no sealant visible on the bike or tire.

Any ideas other than above??

Mojo31 07-25-22 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22586858)
So on yesterday's ride I heard a loud "SNAP" next to me, similar to a small firecracker, and assumed someone had a blowout flat. The guy next to me said it came from his rear tire, but interestingly his tire pressure was fine and there was no flat. He is running tubeless with sealant. So the reasonable conclusion is he had a sudden puncture that sealed itself. We stopped at a stop sign 30 seconds after the incident and there was no sealant visible on the bike or tire.

Ran over a stick that broke, or another bike kicked a rock into a wheel and you heard the impact.

datlas 07-25-22 09:42 AM

Jackie seems to approve of Heidi’s BF.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c2da11c7d.jpeg

WhyFi 07-25-22 09:46 AM

Assuming a round trip, I really don't consider that factor. I mean, it has entered my mind a time or two, but only in passing ("it'd suck if my wife had to pick me up here"); I'm primarily thinking about the total distance. In the last few years, the furthest out that I've gotten from home is prolly 50-55 miles.

WhyFi 07-25-22 09:52 AM

I'd guess that he hit a rock just right - prolly sent it rocketing off in the woods/field. Any loud tubeless puncture is going to be accompanied by some kind of drama, like a few tire rotations of spraying sealant, at the very least.

MoAlpha 07-25-22 10:03 AM

Depends on fitness, weather, availability of friends/family/hired vehicles to bail me out, and obligations later in the day. These days virtually all my rides are within a 30 mi. radius, because I'm not interested in riding big distances.

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-22 10:05 AM

Is the tyre kinda new? Longshot possibility is that the bead wasn't fully seated but still holding air, then midride it suddenly became fully seated. Some rim/tyre combos produce a satisfying "CRACK" when that happens, unless the crabon rim actually cracked, then it's slightly anticlimactic.

datlas 07-25-22 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22586884)
Is the tyre kinda new? Longshot possibility is that the bead wasn't fully seated but still holding air, then midride it suddenly became fully seated. Some rim/tyre combos produce a satisfying "CRACK" when that happens, unless the crabon rim actually cracked, then it's slightly anticlimactic.

Good thought, but I will have to check with him. It really did sound like a blowout puncture, but as above could have been a rock or stick or bead popping out/in. :foo:

WhyFi 07-25-22 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22586884)
Some rim/tyre combos produce a satisfying "CRACK" when that happens...

I love that sound. :love:

I think that, in ye olde days of road tubeless, it could take some work and frustration to get tires mounted, and hearing that sound was an accomplishment and a relief. Nowadays, it's ten strokes of the floor pump and things snap in to place, easy-peasy - I don't know if that sound would have the same impact if I'd just started with tubeless within the last couple years.

WhyFi 07-25-22 10:19 AM

After receiving my Toshiba rice cooker yesterday, I was promptly notified by Target that the fancier rice cooker, that I'd also been considering, had dropped in price by about 50 bucks and that it was available for local pickup.

Re-packed the Toshiba, ordered the Zojirushi, picking it up this afternoon. :rolleyes:

Mojo31 07-25-22 10:37 AM

We don't own a rice cooker and don't cook rice.

indyfabz 07-25-22 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22586864)
Jackie seems to approve of Heidiís BF.

You nee to teach him how to give chin scritches.

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-22 10:48 AM

Egads! I thought I'd put a scoop of ginseng powder in my oatmeal this morning, but it didn't dissolve AT ALL l in the boiling water, it just hardened into a lump the consistency of a piece of wood, and the perfect hemispherical shape of the scoop.

I took it out of my mouth and wondered "What's wrong with this raisin?"

Guess I might have to try to make a slurry with it before adding to the oatmeal.

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-22 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22586781)
My preference is to have as many pairs of bibs as days I ride in a week, so I never wear 'em twice before washing.

I'm down to two good shorts (but both a little long in the tooth), and one good bibs. And a couple pairs of shorts for use under MTB shorts only.

I'm trying to figure out if the $45 LGs at Backcountry are good enough. I think they're of a similar level as the olde LGs I have now, but hard to tell, since I don't remember what the current ones are called and the tag is pretty much toast.

genejockey 07-25-22 11:03 AM

In my case it's a function of ride distance. I would be comfortable going farther from home if I felt I had the legs to get back, or the time to spend. So, 30-35 miles, because my rides are < 70 miles.

BillyD 07-25-22 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22586570)
Itís 84 degrees at 5 in the morning.

Where TF are you, in Texas?

genejockey 07-25-22 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22586930)
We don't own a rice cooker and don't cook rice.

That makes sense. If you owned one and DIDN'T cook rice, that'd be odd.